• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tessa28

Tessa28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

My husband is 64 and has recently been diagnosed with parkinsonism. His only presenting symptom is micrographia and the feeling that he's lost muscle strength in his right hand. This occured after he fell bracing his fall with his right hand/arm last year. He has had no problems with balance or being prone to falls before or since this isolated incident. A MRI of his brain showed only mild atrophy associated with age. He has tried trials of Sinemet, Mirapex, and Azilect with no improvement seen. My question is could the micrographia be a result of muscle damage resulting from a fall and not related to parkinson's at all? He is on a number of medications for hypertension, diabetes, and dyslipidemia, but the only medication I see that could affect the muscles is Lipitor 80mg that he has taken for several years. Have you seen Parkinsonism with micrographia being the only symptom?

Thank you for any input you can provide,
Tessa

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

Tessa,

Tough to say. It is certainly possible this is the presenting symptom of PD, and that a movement disorders expert may pick up other subtle symptoms on exam. Also vivid dreams, loss of smell (on smell test-- UPSIT test), and constipation are other early signs.

I would suggest doing as you are and following closely and also considering other possibilities.

One tip is that PD micrographia has a tendency to get smaller and smaller the longer you keep writing. If he is small all the time, but the same size consider other etiologies.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 howietx

howietx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

My husband is 64 and has recently been diagnosed with parkinsonism. His only presenting symptom is micrographia and the feeling that he's lost muscle strength in his right hand. This occured after he fell bracing his fall with his right hand/arm last year. He has had no problems with balance or being prone to falls before or since this isolated incident. A MRI of his brain showed only mild atrophy associated with age. He has tried trials of Sinemet, Mirapex, and Azilect with no improvement seen. My question is could the micrographia be a result of muscle damage resulting from a fall and not related to parkinson's at all? He is on a number of medications for hypertension, diabetes, and dyslipidemia, but the only medication I see that could affect the muscles is Lipitor 80mg that he has taken for several years. Have you seen Parkinsonism with micrographia being the only symptom?

Thank you for any input you can provide,
Tessa

Tessa,

Years ago I had muscle pain for a few months after being on Lipitor. I went online and found the muscle pain could be caused by it.

I talked to my internist and he switched me to Crestor and no longer had the muscle pain issues.

Good luck and just my personal experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users