E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Post of the Week: Why do people gain weight after DBS?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

Dear forum members,

Despite promising motor outcomes with DBS, a noticeable weight gain has been observed post-DBS surgery in many of the implanted patients. Currently, there are open and debated questions about DBS related weight change including target specificity, underlying cause, and mechanism of action. Additionally, there has been a worry that post-operative weight gain may detract from the overall benefits of surgery and/or induce metabolic disorders.

In some studies, the experimental group of patients has been compared to a control PD group without DBS. The DBS patients in these investigations experienced gain while non-DBS PD patients lost weight. The time frames for each of the studies varied but the weight gain was approximately 3 kg (6.6 lbs) at 3 months and 9 kg (19.8 lbs) at 1 year, and may have been less in unilateral cases of DBS. It is unclear if target STN vs. GPi makes a difference.

The findings to date have suggested the possibility that the weight gain may have been due to decreased energy expenditure that was in part due to reduced dyskinesia, and in part due to a reduction in dopaminergic therapy. Also, the reduced overall energy expenditure directly resulting from DBS related dyskinesia reduction has been posited as a leading explanation for weight gain. Most authors do not believe, however, that dyskinesia reduction in itself is responsible for the weight gain, and recently it has been proposed that the hormonal system may play a role in DBS related weight gain (melanocortical system). Most experts believe that spread of the DBS electrical current into the hypothalamic satiety centers of the brain may play a larger role than previously appreciated, however it should be noted in all studies of DBS approximately 20% of patients lose and not gain weight. One final interesting point is that some PD patients have reported sweet/carbohydrate craving post-DBS.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#2 Jay-Jay

Jay-Jay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hi Dr. Okun,

This is very interesting - there's been discussion on a DBS yahoo group that I'm a member of, about weight gain, but more specifically about a definite increase in appetite. Several members have experienced it. May I share your post with the group? I think they would be very interested in it.

I had DBS in August, 2009 - GPi, unilateral (left side). I didn't experience any change in appetite or weight gain until a few months ago. In fact, I had been losing weight - I figured that was because of exercise, which I never did before PD. But a few months ago, I noticed my appetite had grown quite a bit - and the sweet/carbohydrate craving that you mentioned perfectly describes it. I believe it was around the time of my last programming appt. Is it possible that a change in programming could cause a significant change in appetite?

Thank you very much,

Janet

#3 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

Janet, interesting! There is so much we don't know and it is possible DBS programming could be a factor in weight gain. Feel free to share.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life

#4 MIMILASTER

MIMILASTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

Janet, interesting! There is so much we don't know and it is possible DBS programming could be a factor in weight gain. Feel free to share.

I am so glad you show interest in this question of weight gain and DBS, which seems to have been taken as trivial by most doctors I have met so far. I have definitely experienced an increased appetite for sweet and carbohydrates ever since my surgery eleven years ago. It never occurred to me that programming could be a factor, but the situation worsened when I took Mirapex. I am convinced that the problem goes far beyond the dyskenesia explanation and the fact that DBS is now also used to treat specific cases of obesity seems interesting, at least for the non scientific layman. Now that I have regained better mobility, after 2 difficult years of non PD related problems, I have started a diet, which made me loose 15 kilos in 5 months. It's hard but it makes such a difference to be 15 kilos lighter ! Please, keep studying the subject because we, PD Patients, do not need the added aggravation of being overwweight.
Thank you for your dedication to our cause !

MIREILLE

#5 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for your nice post. We will keep you up to date.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#6 francisfleming

francisfleming

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:32 AM

your post given the complete details about why people gain weight after DBS?...
May i know? Which exercise will help to decrease the weight?

#7 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

We actually don't know.

About 80% increase their weight. SOme groups say it changes the hormones, and others say it is the spread of current into hypothalamus and other circuits....still others blame the decrease in dyskinesia. The factors are unclear.

The treatment--also unexplored but we educate and advocate exercise---however keep in mind the natural course of PD is to lose weight so a little extra weight could be good.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#8 suzie

suzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

Good Morning Dr Okun,

I had bilateral DBS GPi surgery done about 6 months ago and am also having problems with weight gain and a craving for sweets and carbohydrates. I am exercising and trying to watch what I eat but it does not seem to be helping. My dyskinesia is now under control but I am very concerned on this weight gain.
Do you have any new advice on how to deal with this?

Thanks for all your help.

Suzie

#9 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

Suzie, if it is a new sweet craving I would have the psychiatrist treat it as an impulse control disorder. They generally try to get patients off dopamine agonists and if that doesn't work, then sometimes depakote, exercise, and lifestyle changes cpuld be useful.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users