1 reply to this topic

#1 snowman

snowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hi,
I am currently carrying out a project partially related to the need of increasing public awareness of Parkinson's Disease. I would really appreciate it if you could answer a few questions?

From a speech clinitions perspective is there a need to create awareness of Parkinson's disease and why?

Do you feel the current state of awareness of Parkinson's is sufficient? (please explain)

Many Thanks!!

#2 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi,
I am currently carrying out a project partially related to the need of increasing public awareness of Parkinson's Disease. I would really appreciate it if you could answer a few questions?

From a speech clinitions perspective is there a need to create awareness of Parkinson's disease and why?

Do you feel the current state of awareness of Parkinson's is sufficient? (please explain)

Many Thanks!!

Thank you for writing with this very important observation about the need to increase awareness of speech and swallowing deficits in Parkinson's disease. Approximately 80-90% of people with PD will have speech and/or swallowing problems at some time. Communication is essential for quality of life and safe swallowing is critical for maintaining health as well as taking medicine. The need to make people aware is the first step and the next step is letting people know that there is behavioral treatment available that can improve speech and make swallowing safer. Each person with PD is unique and should have an individual evaluation to determine the solution that is best for them. Speech-language pathologists are trained to be experts in speech and swallowing and I would recommend finding someone who also has experience with PD and understands the underlying physiology of deficits associated with PD.

Please write again if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users