#201 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Plenty vaporizer review:

My Herbailaire died and I was going to get another one until I read reviews on the Plenty and decided to break the bank and buy it instead ($350 before taxes). It’s new and made by the same people who make the volcano. About a year ago I had seen it at THC about 10 feet away and another time about 5 feet away and said the obvious to staff, it looked like a large power tool and ugly as a vaporizer - I didn’t even ask to see it closer. But the bottom line to me is the vapor, not looks.

So I end up at THC bright and early Friday morning (Jan/31) as they unlocked the doors. When staff handed me the Plenty I said it looked smaller than I remembered, but the staff said it was the same and it took a few minutes for him to realize it was different!

Plenty went on a crash diet and looks mahvelous!

Apparently I was the first one to buy the just-in improved model.... Whereas before it looked awkward and gangly, with an oversized thermometer, now it was smaller and more streamlined. Initially it feels awkward but after using it a bit you come to recognize how well designed it is – it is actually unique in that is very user-friendly and can be use in a wide variety of positions and situations.

The Plenty lays down two laws right from the start, but aside from these you can pretty much do whatever you want.

1) Hold me here! The only place to hold the Plenty is by the easy-grip handle. AS a safety feature it shuts of automatically after reaching the desired temperature and stays off for 90 seconds. To restart the heater you just lightly touch the handle and it will go on again after 90 seconds are up. The heater retains heat for a long time so it’s very easy and intuitive to use.

2) Don’t try to sit me up! One thing that initially makes the Plenty awkward is that you can’t sit it down in the way one would think is logical. What would normally be the base has been deliberately curved so you cannot do it. The only way to put it down is on its side, which means it automatically shuts off when put down but easily restarts.

The only other thing you must keep in mind is the obvious - metal parts can get very hot and one should make a habit to always avoid touching them – ESPECIALLY THE DOUBLE HELIX HEAT OBSORBER. It can cause serious burns. Also the herb chamber can get very hot. Most of the other metal parts and the liquid pad cool down reasonably fast. The body itself can get very hot but is unlikely to cause burns. In fact, I suspect many will find the heater comforting on cold winter nights. Although the unit can get very hot they have designed it well, so that if you are reasonably cautious and aware you will be safe. The plastic casing housing the herb chamber is easily removed as it has large grips.

I had not slept at all the night before I got it and slept three hours on each of the two nights before that, and now 2 weeks later I’m just getting over the insomnia. Because of this my tremors from parkinson’s (shakes) have increased a lot. During this whole time I had no problems handling the vaporizer, it all fits together easily and the hardest thing is grinding the herb. I haven’t spilt anything either.

One thing that makes the Plenty unique is how user-friendly it is. There are many casual ways to hold it and it can even easily hang out on your hand if you want. You can hold it at any angle and easily type, channel surf, or whatever while at the same time toking. I found myself using it while watching tv in bed, casually laying it bedside me in between tokes.

As a medical user who often can`t sleep longer than 3 hours the Plenty enables me to turn it on and wait about 3 minutes before vaping what is left over from the night before, all without actually getting out of bed, just laying there. Before I would have to get out of bed to prepare and vape it, waking up in the process.

It has the same heater type as its sibling the volcano. The herb chamber is large and wide, giving the herb maximum exposure. The first 2 or 3 tokes you won`t get any vapor – lots of flavour though. When the vapor starts you will probably feel it as a little harsh as although the double helix does an excellent job of cooling it down, the initial harshness is usually caused by the fine grind vaporizing pollen etc. Once the vapor starts each toke will hit you hard and fast. On the first 3 days I had 3 strains (vanilla kush, og kush and chemo) all heavy indicas. I hadn’t smoked in a week and found that it was a little too racy, especially after using HerbalAires balloon method for the last 5 years, which takes about 10 minutes to really feel and can be subtle. In comparison I felt (and looked) wasted. On the 4th day I got some Jean Guy, which was not as over powering.

It may seem ironic but as much as like to get as high as the next head, as a medical user I prefer not feeling wasted first thing in the day. Now I will probably get use to it, but several people reviewing Plenty on youtube (seasoned users) said it was great but maybe a little too strong!! On the positive side, you don’t need to smoke much and because of the wide herb chamber it vaporizes quickly, so it’s very quick in comparison to Herbalaires balloon – it takes so little time, in fact, that the ritual side of the experience seems to disappear. Although you don’t need very much it will be hard for me to limit myself to a few tokes at a time.

(continued)

#202 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Plenty vaporizer review (part 2)

The herb chamber is very wide in order to expose as much of the herb as possible. It can take over a gram to fill it right up to the top, but if you don’t want to fill it right up you can put in a special “liquid pad” (provided), which doesn’t affect the quantity or quality of the vapor at all. Either way it’s important to be sure that herb chamber is full as this affects operation of the vaporizer, and allows it to be used in position you want.

Consistency

The vapor produced is potent. Depending on the strain, it will seem to vaporize rather quickly, but you will immediately feel it. When there seems to be no more vapor coming out I have found that if you give it 10 minutes (a break you will need) and try again, inhaling 3, 4, or 5 times you will get more vapor – if you do 1repeat the process you may be surprised at how much vapor is released. I assume this is because the heat from the idle unit dries the herb out more.

As I’ve only had it for two weeks I am still experimenting so time will tell. So consistency may or may not be an issue. However, consistency does seem to be an issue when it comes to temperature. Although the manual says you can set it at certain temperatures, and it does retain heat, I don’t think the Plenty was ever meant to be a precise machine for patients who demand precision. The designers make this clear by providing a “green” range of temperatures marked out and a “red” range that many reviewers prefer at which to toke – the top reading is 420 (hahaha, get it?).          All in all this is a great machine.   It’s not perfect though. And it may not be the best one for medical users.

The Good

1 User- friendly – I don’t know any other vapes which are designed to be held easily and comfortably. 

2) well made,  sturdy construction. 

3) strong and immediate effects

The not-so good

1. There seems to be potential issues regarding vapor consistency
  2. May not be economical as far as herb requirement
  3. Too strong – hard to moderate it

It will take some time to fully judge this vape...  It may not be the best for medical patients. Chances are pretty good that eventually (when I have some spare cash) I will buy a balloon based vape, probably the herbalaire, for those times I don’t want to get wasted....

#203 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

http://www.huffingto... ... 28147.html

Alberta's College of Physicians Snuffs Doc Pot
Posted: 01/20/2014 5:50 pm

The federal government has recently changed the rules for medical marijuana. The new rules were developed, we are told, as the result of legal challenges that determined that the old ones were defective and made it unreasonably difficult for patients to access marijuana for medical purposes. While the federal government is trying to make things easier, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta is working hard to accomplish the opposite. New College regulations will make medical marijuana - in Alberta - inaccessible, and make the College itself vulnerable to legal challenge.

On April Fools' Day 2014 - 1 April - medical marijuana users will wake up to an Alberta in which not a single doctor will be able to authorize marijuana for medical purposes. The default setting adopted in new rules that the Alberta College has recently proposed (but not yet enacted) will be that Alberta doctors will have to register with the College before being allowed to authorize medical marijuana. Currently, the default setting for the prescribing of powerful narcotics like morphine is that all Alberta doctors can do so without question (unless their privileges have been restricted).

Furthermore the College has stated that it will not require doctors to apply for such authorization - in other words, if you, dear doctor, don't want to bother adding marijuana to your tool kit you don't have to and we (at the College) won't bug you. The question then becomes how many Alberta doctors will go to the trouble of becoming authorizers of medical weed. This question can likely best be answered by asking what the College will require of doctors who agree to authorize marijuana for patients. The time and cost of these requirements must be weighed against the benefit to the doctor who may have very few requests.

There are many requirements for doctors who would authorize marijuana as a treatment. Here is the College list:

1. The doctor will register with the College as an authorizer of medical marijuana.

2. Will know and comply with all provincial and federal legislation, including the Health Canada document "Information for Health Care Professionals" [94 pages of text; 58 pages of references].

3. Engage in professional education regarding the use of marijuana for medical problems and provide evidence of that training to the College.

4. Document all previous orthodox treatments that have failed to help the patient.

5. Assess the patient's risk of becoming addicted to marijuana by having the patient complete a questionnaire.

6. Complete, with the patient, a signed consent form that discusses the risks and benefits of medical marijuana.

7. Review two computer databases for previous drug use.

8. Provide the College with a copy of the marijuana authorization form within three days of completion of each one.

9. Check the two prescription databases each time a new marijuana authorization is written, and;

10. Be able to identify misuse/abuse of medical marijuana.

All of this - according to the College - must be done before the patient can even test drive marijuana as a possible treatment. One wonders how many grams of cannabis College advisors smoked before publishing these proposed rules. How many family doctors will go to the trouble of getting involved in the business of medical marijuana? My guess is not many. These rules send the message to young doctors that marijuana is more dangerous than powerful narcotics such as morphine or oxycodone. These rules pressure doctors to prescribe, preferentially, such narcotics if for no other reason than it is something they are familiar with and are comfortable doing. Yet alarming numbers of Canadians die each year from taking narcotics such as morphine.

There are other factors that will affect the outcomes of these administrative decisions... What is the cost of "medical" compared to "street" dope? The cost of medical marijuana is not covered by any insurance plan (marijuana does not have a Drug Identification Number - DIN - and all drugs covered by insurance must have this) so the full price must be borne by the purchaser. Authorizing documents must be mailed or couriered to the producer, and the dispensed marijuana is couriered to the patient monthly at the patient's expense.

Street marijuana sells for $240/ounce or less. That is $8.70/gram. Medical marijuana currently sells for $7.50 - $12/gram depending on strength. Street marijuana does not have the added transportation costs nor the costs associated with going to the doctor.

So many Canadians have tried, or use, marijuana recreationally. It is not difficult for anyone to find an illegal source. It only requires a few questions of a few friends.

In the end there would be no compelling reason for any Canadian to apply for access to medical marijuana in Alberta unless they had, most unusually, financial coverage or excessively high dosage requirements and costs.

The proposed new regulations of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta require that doctors write the total daily dose of marijuana and the duration of the authorization in days, weeks or months. They do not ask the strength of the product requested - different authorized producers offer marijuana strains of varying strengths (2.5% to 17% THC) and with varied chemical compositions. What is the College smoking indeed? (Health Canada regulations also do not require authorization of a particular strength of product.)

The College could simply have required that doctors apply the same degree of caution and thorough documentation as when prescribing potent, and potentially addicting, narcotics, such as morphine, when authorizing medical marijuana. It could have required doctors to provide a copy of each authorization written, in the same way it requires copies of prescriptions for narcotics. The proposed regulations appear to be entirely contrary to the spirit of the new federal regulations which seek to provide reasonable access to a potentially useful medical tool.

The new College regulations are not the end of the debate, but another beginning. Meanwhile, patients who used marijuana for medical purposes illegally prior to 1999, when the federal government created "medical marihuana" [this is the way the federal government spells it], will do so again.

Sandra Hunter
(2013 Calgary mayoral candidate - "Mayor-juana")

#204 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

When I woke up this morning, things were lookin' bad
Seem like total silence was the only friend I had
Bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down... and won
And it was twelve o'clock before I realized
That I was havin' .. no fun

Chorus:
But fortunately I have the key to escape reality
And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
It don't cost very much, but it lasts a long while
Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun

Last time I checked my bankroll,
It was gettin' thin
Sometimes it seems like the bottom
Is the only place I've been
I Chased a rainbow down a one-way street... dead end
And all my friends turned out to be insurance salesmen

Repeat Chorus:

Well, I sat down in my closet with all my overalls
Tryin' to get away
From all the ears inside my walls
I dreamed the police heard
Everything I thought... what then?
Well I went to court
And the judge's name was Hoffman

Ah but fortunately I have the key to escape reality
And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
It don't cost very much, but it lasts a long while
Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun
Well done, hot dog bun, my sister's a nun

#205 afroney

afroney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

A little birdie told me that he has better luck with perscribed Klonipin for sleep, dystonia, and stifness than with medical MJ. Medical MJ makes his tremors worse, his mind much more foggy, and his balance much worse over the prescribed Klonipin.

#206 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

SENSIBLE BC

Thank you so much to everyone that made it to the Rally at the Provincial Legislature on February 11th. It was so inspiring to see hundreds of our supporters gather from Victoria to Dawson Creek - and everywhere in between - to stand shoulder to shoulder in front of the legislature.

It was a powerful reminder of the strength of our movement and our ongoing dedication to sensible marijuana policy reform.

Good news - we’re flooded with data entry

Over the past year, we've registered thousands of new supporters. We've signed up so many new people that we can't keep up with all of the data entry!

We really need your help so that we can be in contact with our supporters as soon as possible. We are pushing to get 2,000 new supporters entered during the next week. Can you spend a few hours this week to help us hit our goal?

We are going to have volunteers working all across the province to help hit that mark. Click here to respond to this email and we will get you set up to work remotely right away!

Another Step Backwards

Tens of thousands of Canadians depend on medical marijuana every day. Yet the upcoming changes to the medical marijuana program will price many patients out of the market for their medicine.

Anyone that can’t afford medical marijuana through the new system will either have to suffer without their medicine or turn to the black market. Essentially, the Harper Government is creating criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and placing many of them at serious risk.

Click here for the heart-rending story of a mother who says the new medical cannabis rules mean a death sentence for her epileptic daughter.

Medical users do not deserve to be criminalized or pushed into the black market because they can’t afford their medicine at “market rates.”

More Drug Law Hypocrisy

The provincial government has decided to move forward with reform to liquor laws.Even though alcohol abuse kills approximately 100,000 Canadians every year, our politicians promote relaxed liquor laws while refusing to stand up for hundreds of thousands of British Columbians who support marijuana reform.

We’re not necessarily against the new liquor regulations, but it is utter hypocrisy to increase access to alcohol while also arresting more and more marijuana users each year. Marijuana is safer than alcohol, so why is the BC government driving us to drink?

That’s why we need to keep fighting! Every action we take brings us one step closer to our goal. It’s never too late - if you haven’t had a chance to get involved yet, click here to send us an email and get started today.

Thank you so much for all that you do for marijuana reform. Every action counts.

Dana Larsen - Sensible BC Director

P.S. Keeping people informed is half the battle, so forward this email on to your friends and family and get them to register here. Help us make BC a little more sensible!

http://socialmedia.sensiblebc.ca/

#207 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:49 AM

As April 1st approaches and the prospect of having to pay for MM I find much ANGER rising in me. Anger at dumb ass politicians who glorify alcohol and look forward to their liquid lunch, yet demonize MM and do everything in their power to keep it away from patients who benefit from it (who are all just stoners wanting to get high).

Hypocrites all of them...!!!

MAD AS HELL at all the doctors who proclaim the irrefutable dangers of marijuana (tho NOT A SINGLE DEATH has been documented anywhere) but think nothing of prescribing oxycodone, botox, etc. for the same symptoms. Poisons that kill thousands daily. Who justify their refusal by citing isolated harms marijuana may cause - schizophrenia, man breasts, cancer, etc.(things they were told in university) without actually bothering to research or at least look up the subject. And then when you tell them how MM has helped you with many symptoms that no other meds worked effectively on they dismiss it outright as anecdotal, not "scientific". They think patients are inferior intellectually, lacking their university indoctrination, uhhh, I mean education.

(Noam Chomsky remarks, "For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination. These are easy to perceive in the totalitarian societies, much less so in the propaganda system to which we are subjected and in which all too often we serve as unwilling or unwitting instruments.")

Many, many, many  are disengenuous hypocrites without cojones...... not free thinkers.

I just realized that even tho I've been a member for 6 years I haven't viewed any posts in the moderated forums in at least 5 years, and though it wasn't a conscious decision, I realize that I got sick and tired of some of the comments there and felt it wasn't worth the bother. And that shows the depth of my disappointment with health professionals..... I learn more from other PWP - you know, anecdotal stuff....

And I think that the "educational" system sucks big time, is HIGHLY dysfunctional and is responsible for the indoctrination that passes for education.

Some of my anger at the moment is because last month I ran out of MM the last week and all my PD symptoms greatly increased, and again last week I ran out and Hell has just descended upon me again - bad insomnia, high anxiety, no appetite, bad tremors 24 hours/day, depression, negativity, etc, etc, etc.   And it will only be worst after April 1st when I can no longer have MM grown for me due to new laws by our small-minded conservative govt. I will only be able to afford - if I'm lucky, less than a quarter of what I get now - which is not even enough

Now the only legal growers will be for-profit (and how!) corporations, run by the same people who have tried to keep it illegal and unavailable, but now that the courts have legalized It for med patients they will be the ones who sell it and get rich - noses in the trough

So it looks like my choices are either go without MM and still avoid those debilitating meds that give you constipation, nausea, dystonia, etc and just suffer with PD (ya, sure), or taking the anti-depressents etc that give you new (but different) bad symptoms and the need for more meds to deal with those new symptoms (a vicious cycle).. I just heard on the news that Quebec may be about to legalize euthanasia so I may have a third choice.

As I am on disability these will be paid for by the public purse ($$$) at great expense, where when someone legally grew for me it cost the public NOTHING!

The health system is all about money - no one in power gives a rats ass about sick people....

I feel like Peter Finch in the movie "Network"

"We know things are bad — worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.'\

Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get MAD! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot — I don't want you to write to your congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. [shouting] You've got to say: 'I'm a human being, god-dammit! My life has value!'

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell: I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

I want you to get up right now. Sit up. Go to your windows. Open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!...You've got to say, I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE! Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first, get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

:

<End of Rant>

Edited by lethe, 23 February 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#208 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

http://slog.thestran...ower-state-says

One license per pot grower, state says

The Washington State Liquor Control Board announced today that they are limiting cannabis business applicants to one pot grow each, down from the three-license limit they set initially. The move overcomes a troublesome hurdle the board encountered: how to equitably distribute the two million square feet of grow space the agency set as a limit for the new industry when 2,858 applications requested to grow over 40 million square feet of pot.

Additionally, the board is reducing by 30% the amount of grow space that licensees may produce. The board initial created three tiers for 2,000, 10,000, and 30,000 square foot grows, which will now become 1,400, 7,000, and 21,000 square foot licenses.

With that resolved, the state will now start issuing cannabis production licenses. "We're probably looking at first week in march before an actual license gets out of here," says I-502 implementation chief Randy Simmons. "We have to do a final walkthrough, a final inspection. We're scheduling those for next week."

The agency says that over 900 applicants requested more than one license. Doing the math, today's decision leaves somewhere between 1,100 and 2,100 pot grow applications in the pool.<

Simmons says the state will give applicants the option to withdraw their duplicate licenses and be refunded their application fees. Otherwise the applications will be put on hold until the liquor board determines the state's legal pot consumption is outstripping production capacity. "The first thing we would do is raise the tier level back up," says Simmons.

Applicants will not be allowed to change their tier level, so if you built a 2,000 square foot grow, you are stuck with a 1,400-foot limit. The agency won't open another licensing window for pot businesses until those mothballed applications are exhausted, so I expect most of those applicants to keep their place in line and forego the refund.

COMMENTS:

What a shock that the WSLCB, a group wholly beholden to the alcohol industry, moves the goalposts on I-502 implementation yet again. Colorado has a system in place 13 months after the vote, but Washington is still playing hide & seek with its vague rules that counties & cities have determined can just be ignored even when enacted.

Putting the Liquor Control Board in charge of legal marijuana implementation is like putting that nazi pope Joey Ratz in charge of eliminating child molesting priests. It's the opposite of a solution.
Posted by Sir Vic on February 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM · Report this

Posted by Matt the Engineer on February 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM ·

So our state has the ability to create a good (the right to grow pot) so valuable the demand for licenses is 3x the number of licenses they've artificially limited themselves to? A logical system would be to create a bidding system for the licenses they do release, rather than cutting them into smaller and smaller pieces.

“Additional production is likely necessary for the state to capture an increasing percentage as the market refines and matures. Agency rules allow for flexibility to meet an evolving controlled market,” the board said in its news release."

Flexibility?
How long do you suppose it takes to react to changes in the market from the day prices are too high to the day new inventory has been approved, grown, processed, and available at retail?

Posted by Praetor on February 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM · 

Seems to favor the smaller operations. This is a good thing, I think. Spread the wealth and avoid the top heavy mega grow which is not the feds favorite paradigm..;-D

Posted by pupuguru spacer.gif on February 21, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Who thought it would be a good idea for the liquor board to manage this? Or anything? I know it was in the initiative. It's still stupid. Where are the Free Market Republicans opposing this socialist gubmint regulation?

Posted by pox on February 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM

As a very poor cannabis patient who can't grow his own due to health problems, I very strongly oppose this as it will dramatically increase the cost of my medication.
Posted by Tyro on February 22, 2014 at 8:09 PM ·

Edited by lethe, 24 February 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#209 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

House votes to gut medical marijuana

The Washington State House of Representatives passed a bill to butcher our voter-approved medical cannabis law, which many elected state leaders have held in contempt for years. This year the official reason for the mutilation attempt is an unfounded fear that allowing sick people to cheaply produce their own pot will cause our voter-approved legal pot experiment to miss out on some additional revenue potential. To forcefully capture that revenue, HB 2149 would:

• Criminalize patients who grow marijuana together in small groups;
  • Reduce plant limits from 15 to 3 blooming plants;
  • Reduce possession limits from 24 ounces to 3 ounces;
  • Create a taxpayer-funded mandatory government registry for all medical marijuana patients; and
  • Criminalize home-growing patients who don't register their three-plant grow with the state.

Legislative hotline is 800-LOAN-000 (toll free, loan nothing). The bill has a hearing this Thursday, February 27 at 10 a.m. in the Senate Health Care committee. Committee members are:

Here are some headlines:

FEB 17 | Associated Press

#210 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

'My daughter will die' under new Canadian marijuana laws

Mom says she cannot afford daughter's medical cannabis under new Health Canada regulations<< CBC News Posted: Feb 21, 2014 3:00 PM PT

The mother of an epileptic woman says the only treatment that works for her daughter's epilepsy — cannabis — will become unaffordable under Health Canada's new medicinal marijuana regulations, meaning she will be forced to either break the law or watch her child suffer.

Cheryl Rose says since she began illegally giving her 20-year-old daughter Hayley marijuana in 2008, her seizures have dropped from hundreds a month to roughly a dozen.

Come April, however, new Health Canada rules will limit Rose's access to marijuana to federally approved suppliers at a much higher cost.

``If there's no way to stop them from changing this, my daughter will die," said Rose.

Currently, Hayley's treatment costs $200 a month. Hayley grows her own pot, which she calls Hayley's Comet, which she grinds into powder before it's measured into capsules for consumption with food three times a day.

Cheryl Rose says if she is forced to buy the 40 grams a day Hayley uses from approved growers, her treatment will cost thousands a month.

"There is no way to afford that kind of medication," she says.

A fight to prove marijuana works

Before Hayley began taking marijuana, Rose says her daughter would suffer as many as 15 seizures in a day. She says marijuana is the only medication that has ever given her any sort of relief.

"I got rid of half my seizures. How has that made a difference in [my] life?" asks Hayley. "A lot."

Rose's doctor agrees the treatment is working.

In January, federal Health Minister Rona Ambrose said Health Canada has never endorsed medical marijuana because more clinical trials are needed.

"We're making these decisions for health reasons, for medical reasons, based on the advice of the health community and also for public safety reasons," she said.

Rose and others will go before the courts next month in an attempt to stop Ottawa's decision. But, regardless of the outcome, she will continue providing marijuana for Hayley.

"Her death isn't an option. It's not and it's never going to be," she says.

The family is trying to establish a foundation to help with the cost of her treatment. They are organizing a fundraiser on Saturday, Feb. 22 at the Charqui Grill in Vancouver to raise money for the legal work to get the foundation up and running.

Unless Rose and others can stop Ottawa's move in the courts next month, they will become criminals by continuing to grow it or buy it illegally.

COMMENTS

• Van IS/ Born and Raised

Just one more election to punt these neocons out for good. Then common sense may make sense once again in Canada. Bye Harper , the worst PM in Canada's history.

• Sekular Skeptik

I've been researching this drug for over 30 years. I conclude. I'm not dead yet. As for safety of legal drugs I challenge any supporter of this draconian law to a duel of sorts. You sit back and drink one shot after another and I will sit back and smoke one joint after another and we'll see who dies first.

• Sekular Skeptik

Break the law then. This will not get past the Supreme Court of Canada. Just look at what happened when they tried to shut down Insite in Vancouver. Besides. There's an election coming next year and harper is doing nothing more than feathering the nest of his corporate cronies, to be able to get a head start on what he knows will be legal shortly after the next election.

cactusflower

Please remember that in order to be convicted of a crime, one must first be charged by a police officer, and that's not likely to happen in Rose's case and many other medical marijuana users like her.  Policemen are not monsters, they are human beings who have compassion for folks like Rose. It's a well-known fact in certain jurisdictions that the police are aware of people who privately grow their own few plants for medicinal use and choose to ignore the practice.

• gomerr

Cannabis is now the worlds most researched drug in the history of humanity.

There were 1540 peer reviewed research articles on cannabis and cannabinoids in 2013.
There have been over 22,000 peer reviewed research articles and trials over the last 15 years.

Yet the medical profession in Canada drum out the old canard that not enough is known about cannabis.
Canadian Doctors should crack a book and come into the 21rst century medically.

No kickbacks and goodies from Pharmaceutical companies for Cannabis is really the reason.

• phusis

@gomerr
I've been researching the effects of cannabis on a regular basis for well over forty years now, and can attest that it has had only beneficial effects on my professional career performance.

• WW

There is nothing better than seeing people self medicating and wandering the streets.
Doing business with them is a breeze. I thank you.

• winterbird

CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr Sanjay Gupta has reversed his position, and now supports medical marijuana use. Scroll down to read how medical marijuana helped a child who suffered with 300 seizures a month:

http://www.cbsnews.c...r-previous-view

• artista

“If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.”

― Thomas Jefferson

CBC News Posted: Feb 21, 2014 3:00 PM PT Last Updated: Feb 21, 2014 4:26 PM PT

Edited by lethe, 24 February 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#211 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

http://www.dailymoti...d/video/x1d7o45

Edited by lethe, 24 February 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#212 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

#213 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

#214 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

http://www.youtube.c...P-RHZqTEVs#t=38

Edited by lethe, 25 February 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#215 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Someone (with alias) wrote this comment:

``Cannabis is now the worlds most researched drug in the history of humanity.

There were 1540 peer reviewed research articles on cannabis and cannabinoids in 2013.
There have been over 22,000 peer reviewed research articles and trials over the last 15 years.

Yet the medical profession in Canada drum out the old canard that not enough is known about cannabis.
Canadian Doctors should crack a book and come into the 21rst century medically.

#216 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

#217 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

For those who are PD-centric and won't watch this whole video, PD comes up at about 12:30 in the video...

Edited by lethe, 24 February 2014 - 11:37 PM.

#218 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

#219 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip