#1 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

Got your attention, huh? All of our favorite PD problem. I'm looking for suggestions. I take Miralax every day and still have problems. Having a bowel movement is like giving birth. And even then I can never truly finish. It's an awful experience. The good thing is that my abs get a good work out LOL

Sorry for the crude topic, but I'm sure someone out there can relate

#2 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

HaHa...I just came back to the pc after a rather long visit to the bathroom which only resulted in my legs completely going to sleep! I had no idea it might even be related directly to PD, I thought maybe it was just side effects from the Mirapex. I've been taking 1 Colace every other night and drinking a lot of water. It helped the first week that I was taking Mirapex but the past 2 weeks have been awful! I'm thinking maybe an increase in exercise might help...now if I could just get my legs and back to agree to that...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#3 Jeff S Griffith

Jeff S Griffith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationCorinna Maine

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

Nope Its a PD problem alright, If anyone finds something that actually works please let me know because I have tried everything.
There's no point in taking life too seriously, You will never make it out alive so live and love while you still can.

#4 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

Well, they call it puddin at another discussion board. it's gross stuff but they claim it works.

1 cup of applesauce
1 cup of all-bran cerial
3/4 cup of prune juice

Mix together and eat a few tablespoons. drink lots of water. If nothing happens, eat a little more. drink lots more water.

Personally I'd rather eat each item separately.

Someone else suggested prunes.
<3.<3.<3.

#5 carol42

carol42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

try two t spoonfulls of andrews liver salts or epsom salts but there bit harser...... :shock:

#6 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:47 AM

Someone else suggested prunes.

I had completely forgotten about prunes until you mentioned it. When I was a child...many moons ago, my momma used to always make us eat oatmeal with a healthy portion of boiled prunes on the side. She did this every Saturday morning before we were allowed to watch the morning cartoons on TV. She swore it'd keep us "regular".
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#7 em45

em45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

Same here prunes were always known to keep us 'regular'mums word, some also find that Weetabix helps or most bran cereals..of course plenty of fluids..

#8 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

yuck! I hate prunes and prune juice. However, I did try them with no success. I think I laid an egg this morning.

#9 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hi Jenette,

I often recommend this book because it has so much useful information in it, including a whole chapter on digestive problems and constipation you could find useful. the book can be gotten new or used on line if you look around a bit. Or if you live in a city with a large library system you could possibly get it on loan. The author discusses foods, liquids,fiber sources , saline and osmotic laxatives, stimulant laxatives, enemas and examining the medications and dosages that can contribute to increased constipation for a person with PD.

The book is called The Parkinson's Disease Treatment Book by by author J. Eric Ahlskog, PH.D., M.D. from the Mayo Clinic It is a great resource book.

Hope this helps.

Eileen

#10 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

Bran Muffins, chased with hot coffee
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#11 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

Bran Muffins, chased with hot coffee

JB I think you are on to something, it sounds way better than prunes any way :grin:

#12 netgypsy

netgypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:13 AM

Can't believe I haven't posted on this topic yet. OH MY so you have my sympathy as I also had horrendous problems in the past and I have to be so careful since I was treated for prostate cancer (proton therapy - really great with pretty much no side effects) and the one thing the tell you is DON'T GET CONSTIPATED!! Yea right - try managing that when you have PD and it's one of the very first symptoms.

So anyway I asked my GI doctor after trying EVERYTHING - prunes, figs, bran, hot peppers, metamucil, hot coffee, exercise, massage and finally having to resort to enemas on occasion YUKKKK. He said milk of magnesia tablet were probably the easiest, cheapest and safest. So by 7 years after DX I was having to take 16 - yes SIXTEEN tablets a day to prevent the concrete in the colon syndrome. All this time I was on requip and azilect - high does of reqiup with all the accompanying compulsions. At 7 years after DX I not only had this terrible constipation , but drooling, difficulty swallowing, sleepy all the time, fog brain, short steps, freezing, balance problems and I'm sure lots of other things. I was a wreck.

THEN I finally went to Mayo clinic in desperation asking about dbs and the neuro doc said YOU HAVE TO TRY SINEMET - they won't even consider dbs until they know sinemet works and reduces your symptoms. I had always thought sinemet caused PD to advance more quickly. NOT TRUE but a widely held belief unfortunately so I had avoided sinemet. But now I had to try it so I did. I fainted after eating and had other problems getting the right dose but once I did, guess what, THE CONSTIPATION nearly disappeared. I now take 4, yes FOUR milk of magnesia tablets instead of 16 and I can manage on just 2 but twice had problems when I traveled so take four even though I don't need that much.

So two suggestions - for food - refried beans and Konsyll brand psyllium (1/4 teapoon is enough) to make sure you always have enough BULK in your digestive system, yogurt (I use plain regular as I'm too thin) to keep that bacteria in good numbers and milk of magnesia tablets.

But if you have not yet tried sinemet you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was. It helped everything. If I didn't have drug failure from my stomach not emptying I'd be totally normal on sinemet - but I do have drug failure and when I do it's really bad - as bad as I was four years ago before I started on sinemet. So it's not perfect but it's just plain miraculous compared to anything else on the market. When it loosens you muscles it also loosens your intestines and allows the food to go through better. Not everyone is this lucky and believe me I feel extremely lucky it works this well because constipation can kill you and especially me with a bowel that was fried and then healed. It's in good shape compared to other treatments but it still has to be cared for gently and it was horrendous getting control of constipation.

So please let us know what works as this is a universal problem.

#13 carol42

carol42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

must try some milk of magnesium,thats an old remedy for upset stomach i remember taking it as a kid,it tastes rotten but it really helps your stomach and bowels,ive always had a tendincy to bung up from i was young....thanks :blink:

#14 netgypsy

netgypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

The Phillips brand tablets are mint flavored and not bad - like tums but magnesium rather than calcium. The generic CVS brand is a lot cheaper but like eating chalk. Be SURE to chew and take with plenty of water. I take them in the morning with my Caltrate Calcium plus D since most of us also have early onset osteoporosis and again in the evening but check your other meds. There are several that need to be separated by about two hours from Magnesium and Calcium.

Off the subject, a family member recently had her spine fortified with glue. She also had PD and osteoporosis. Pretty interesting. I don't use the liquid but you can probably. The tablets are just very convenient to keep in the car as well as in the house. One other word of advice - do NOT stop taking the tablets if you have a brief bout of diarrhea because generally after the diarrhea you'll have really bad constipation because your gut is emptied. The beans, psyllium and yoghurt also prevent diarrhea if you should eat something that upsets your digestive system a bit.

Good LUCK. A dear friend died after open heart surgery because the hospital allowed her to become severely constipated and in pushing to pass the impaction her lungs were flooded with fluid and she was severely brain damaged so this is SERIOUS. Do NOT allow yourself to continue having problems because it is a serious health issue. Your colon can also be permanently damaged if you don't deal with it.

One more thing - milk of magnesia works because it is a salt and when you consume it, the salt concentration in your gut becomes higher than the body thinks it should be so it floods the intestines with water to dilute this magnesium salt. So even though your digestive system is sluggish, it stays adequately hydrated avoiding constipation. Other things work differently. Psyllium provide bulk and also holds moisture. If you eat the beans you don't need the psyllium as they provide the wet bulk also. Other things used to prevent consitpation use a different mechanism. Prunes supposedly keep the valves that take the water from the gut from opening as much or allow the ones that bring water into the gut open longer. Things like exlax are irritants and need to be avoided. Yoghurt provides good bacteria and also keeps the digestive material soft. We had a dog who lived on buttermilk (again a bacteria produced cultured milk product), oil and vitamins for over a year because of a serious digestive problem. She only defacated once every three days but when she did go, it was very soft, like baby poop. So yoghurt does help also.

Again please keep us informed as we all share the pain.

Edited by netgypsy, 01 May 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#15 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll try the milk of magnesia tablets and see how it goes.

Glad we can talk about this stuff lol

#16 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

I just found out about something that might help with constipation. Aloe Vera juice. They are talking about it over on the neurotalk website.

mj
<3.<3.<3.

#17 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Aloe vera juice? Where do you get it? I'm desparate and need to try something. I've been taking 2 caplets of Milk of Magnesia for 4 days with no results. Finally resulted in an enema but even that wasn't totally successful. I might need to make a trip to the hospital. It's very depressing - I hate this damn PD monster!

#18 pppiglet

pppiglet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

I'm so glad you're talking about this. I'm tired of having to strain and get nothing but rabbit droppings. I eat oatmeal and a mix of prunes, dried cherries, raisins and cranberries a few times a week and we eat quite a few beans, but still no go. (@_@) I'm going to try the milk of magnesia, yogurt and bran muffins. (So far the sinemet hasn't done the trick for me).

Once a month, right on schedule, I'll have a really satisfying experience. Must be the hormones. I wish someone could bottle that.

-Marcie

#19 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

Aloe vera juice? Where do you get it? I'm desparate and need to try something. I've been taking 2 caplets of Milk of Magnesia for 4 days with no results. Finally resulted in an enema but even that wasn't totally successful. I might need to make a trip to the hospital. It's very depressing - I hate this damn PD monster!

You can get it at Wal-Mart for about $7 a gallon. Someone was saying to try 2 or 4 oz twice a day to see if it helped with PD symptoms. I found info on the internet that said people with IBS or colon problems shouldn't take it. Not sure why unless it's because a side effect is cramps and diarrhea for some people. It seems to have a loosening effect. If you mix 2 oz in a glass of orange juice you can't taste it. At least I couldn't.

Edited by MarciaJ, 03 June 2011 - 06:55 AM.

<3.<3.<3.

#20 netgypsy

netgypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

There's no way 2 M of M tablets will work. That's the heartburn dosage.

Ask your GI doctor - my GI doctor is the one who told me to take them. First try 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. if that doesn't work to go to 2 with each meal and 2 at night. if that doesn't work go to three and so on.

Magnesium prevents the calcium oxalate type kidney stones by the way but you don't absorb a lot of the magnesium in milk of magnesia. it just goes on through.

When I was on requip I was taking 4 FOUR tablets FOUR TIMES A DAY or SIXTEEN a day

DO NOT TAKE CALCIUM OR MAGNESIUM at the same time with ANTIBIOTICS. it's not that they fight. It's just that if you take them at the same time, the minerals will prevent the antibiotic from being absorbed into the body. So space them FAR APART like four hours if possible. This goes for high calcium and magnesium foods also like cereal and milk, yoghurt etc.

Edited by netgypsy, 05 June 2011 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users