E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Falling down, Not being able to walk and dizzyness with parkinson's???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lovelyblondie

lovelyblondie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

My step dad was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's. We were not told anything about the disease from the doctor. Everything we know is from what i have looked up here on the site n printed out for them. So plz bare with me if I seem ignorant. I promise you I am not. Anyways, My step dad (norm) is falling down constantly, cant stand up very well or walk, He cant get up off the couch from a laying down position without help. It is just awefull. He is hitting his head when he falls down and my mom can't lift him up so he lays there till he is able to get to his knees and get up. He is not remembering when he falls. Its almost as if he blacks out. Is this part of Parkinson's? If so is this the more adv stage Of the disease? Like I said we havent been told anything and are very curious. He does shake alot and cant hold a cup sometimes cause he shakes so bad the liquid sloshes around. Any help will be appreciated. thanks.
Lea.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

Lea, these can be symptoms of either Parkinson's disease or several diseases that are Parkinson look-a-likes.

In any case get him to a neurologist with some expertise in this area for management. Make sure motor, cognitive and mood issues are addressed and physical therapy is involved to assess and protect from falling.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users