#1 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Hi Mark,

Do you have any experience or knowledge on dosing with N-acetyl cysteine...is it safe to use with PD meds, (agonists and sinemet)and if so are you aware of an appropriate dosage to start with? I have read recently that it can help to dampen compulsive behaviors.

Thanks in advance Mark

Eileen

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

The profile of n-acetyl cysteine (nca) does not how any interaction with sinemet or dopamine agonists. The information is limited because no major study has been done...yet.
NCA is found at high levels in high protein foods. The protein can compete with the medications for metabolism by the liver. So, it may be a good idea to separate the Meds by a couple of hours of the NCA.
As far as dosing for PD, no real limit has been set. The usual dose is between 500 and 1200 mg per day.
Below is an article I found in Advanced Health and Life Extension magazine. Not a regulated health magazine, but some good info you might be interested in.
      N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is a metabolite of the sulfur-containing amino acid, Cysteine. Cysteine is found in high protein foods, N-Acetyl Cysteine is not. N-Acetyl Cysteine is produced within the human body. Cysteine plays a role in the sulfation cycle, acting as a sulfur donor in phase II detoxification and as a methyl donor in the conversion of homocysteine to methionine. Cysteine also helps synthesize glutathione, one of the body's most important natural antioxidants and detoxifiers. N-Acetyl-Cysteine is the acetylated form of L-Cysteine.

N-Acetyl Cysteine increases Glutathione Levels

N-Acetyl Cysteine is rapidly metabolized to intracellular glutathione. Glutathione acts as a powerful antioxidant in the body. Glutathione also detoxifies chemicals into less harmful compounds. N-Acetyl Cysteine also protects the body from acetaminophen toxicity and is used in hospitals for patients with acetaminophen poisoning. It has also been shown to be effective at treating liver failure from other causes as well.

N-Acetyl Cysteine Chelates Heavy Metals

Heavy metals like lead, mercury and arsenic are detoxified and removed from the body by N-Acetyl Cysteine . It also increases the excretion of zinc and other essential minerals when taken over an extended period. It is therefore necessary to supplement zinc, copper and other trace minerals when taking N-Acetyl Cysteine.

N-Acetyl Cysteine and the Immune System

Glutathione is known to aid in the transport of nutrients to lymphocytes and phagocytes, two major classes of immune cells, and to protect cell membranes. While purified glutathione is available as a dietary supplement, absorption is low, and N-Acetyl Cysteine is thought to be a better method of boosting cellular glutathione levels. N-Acetyl Cysteine is being investigated as a treatment for AIDS.

N-Acetyl Cysteine Breaks up Mucus

N-Acetyl Cysteine cleaves disulfide bonds by converting them to two sulfhydryl groups. This action results in the breakup of mucoproteins in lung mucus, reducing their chain lengths and thinning the mucus, improving conditions such as bronchitis and flu. Double-blind research has found that N-Acetyl Cysteine supplements improved symptoms and prevented recurrences in people with chronic bronchitis. N-Acetyl Cysteine at a dosage of 1,200 mg per day helps to prevent Influenza infection, reduces the symptoms of existing Influenza infection and reduces the duration of Influenza infections.

N-Acetyl Cysteine and Cancer

N-Acetyl CysteineN-Acetyl Cysteine has been shown to reduce the proliferation of certain cells lining the colon and may reduce the risk of colon cancer in people with recurrent polyps in the colon. Its action as an antioxidant and a glutathione precursor may also contribute to a protective effect against cancer.

N-Acetyl Cysteine Cautions

When taking N-acetyl cysteine it is recommended that two to three times as much vitamin C be taken at the same time. Failure to do so may result in more harm than good from taking this product because of the prolonged presence of the oxidized form of L-Cysteine. The vitamin C also helps keep the glutathione that is produced from the Cysteine in its reduced form so that it can continue acting as an antioxidant.

N-Acetyl Cysteine Dosage

Typical dosage recommendations are in the range of 250-1500mg of NAC daily for the majority of therapeutic benefits.

N-Acetyl Cysteine Safety

NAC is considered safe for consumption in its therapeutic dosage ranges. Individual reactions may vary and anyone experiencing adverse symptoms while taking N-Acetyl Cysteine should discontinue it.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Hi Mark.

Thanks so much for that comprehensive answer, I appreciate the time and energy you put into doing the research on that . Eileen

#4 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Any time. Many times we all have the partial answer but with research, we gt the whole answer.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#5 mmery

mmery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Mark: what's the relationship, if any, of N-acetyl cysteine to Acetyl-L-Carnitine? where does Glutathione fit in the discussion and, finally, is un-denatured whey supplement worth exploring? My questions arise from reading the following: http://www.kplctv.co...y.asp?S=4073107
I've had PD for three years, do rather well, fatigue being somewhat of an issue. high level of physical activity for a 73 year old. I heard you in SF last Fall and you were really inspiring and informative.

Michael

#6 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Robert,
Thanks for the kind words and I am sorry your message got "burried."
Let me check on these 3 and get back with you.
By the way, I had a great time in SF, I would be more than willing to be San Francisco's adopted son. Your group was so infomed and to see so many great caregivers there made this one of the better symposiums I have done.
I would be more than happy to come back anytime, but next time I will bring the family and stay longer.

Mark: what's the relationship, if any, of N-acetyl cysteine to Acetyl-L-Carnitine? where does Glutathione fit in the discussion and, finally, is un-denatured whey supplement worth exploring? My questions arise from reading the following: http://www.kplctv.co...y.asp?S=4073107
I've had PD for three years, do rather well, fatigue being somewhat of an issue. high level of physical activity for a 73 year old. I heard you in SF last Fall and you were really inspiring and informative.

Michael

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users