• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amphibians

amphibians

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

I had DBS on 13 Sept 2010 to treat parkinson's symptoms. I was on 50mg sinemet and 100mg stalevo twice a day at that time. Dystonia was so bad that DBS was the next best option. 8.5 months on, I am still awaiting 'medication on' state when I can be as normal as can be. I am rid of tremor and medication now. Other symptoms like stiffness remains as is evident from my writing - micrographia. I walk with quick small steps. I also picked up other symptoms which I never had before like losing balance, speech impediment, choking is becoming more severe. Once in a while there is a little hesitation in taking a stride out. What is wrong with me? What shall I do? I have done well over 10 programming session with my neurologist.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Walking, talking and thinking can all potentially worsen after DBS.

You need to first determine what is present on and off STim without meds.

Then you and your doc can turn off the stimulator and give a great big dose of meds (sinemet 2 1/2 tablets for example) and wait until you turn "on."

By assessing on and off stim, and then on and off meds without stim can help guide the balance between stim and meds.

You are likely undermedicated.

Also, you need to have a MRI to measure lead location and also a programmer do thresholds for benefit and side effect at each contact. This will tell you if they are placed well.

Be aware almost all patients complain of speech issues post-DBS. SOme have gait and balance issues but in many cases these are disease progression.

Hope that helps.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users