• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amphibians

amphibians

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:50 AM

Thanks for your help. Here's another question. Can pain be caused by DBS? About a month after my DBS, pain developed in a large part of my body except the head - shoulder, back, top of my foot (around and inside my ankle) and the pains are cumulative and is more severe on my left body. Over time (in a space of 6 months or more), they each disappeared. Now I am left with the pain in my left arm. It started like a 'pull' sensation when I flexed my arm a little to the back. It has since increased in intensity. In my last programming parameter, it spread to my neck.I slapped it with bamboo stripes to ease the pain. In my current stimulation, the pain spread to my upper arm (not to my neck). The triceps area is particularly painful. I recently do some stretching exercise. That eased the tricep pain. But it is still very painful at my forearm. When I walked uphill, there was muscle spasm in my left upper arm and my left hand. What's the problem?

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

It is usually not DBS, however if the programming is too high and the current spreading into the internal capsule (motor connections) pulling and pain can result. We usually turn the DBS off and see if it resolves.

Also, pulling can be dystonia which can result from PD, meds, or a combination---

An expert neurologist can help you sort through this very complex situation.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users