E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

impications of informing employer of PD diagnosis?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

The performance may be the issue. The PD has slowed him down and he's compensated by working longer and longer hours. It may not have been enough. He's recognized the change which was why we decided on the short term leave to get meds adjusted, rest, have voice therapy, etc. He's been working 14-16 hour days and sometimes 7 days a week to keep up with his workload. As his MDS has said, even people without PD can't work those kind of hours without having an impact on performance and health. We've learned one of his medications (Artane) may be causing "mental cloudiness". The MDS doesn't want him to stop it until he switches to something else which he'll do when he takes his leave. The "mental cloudiness" is part of why he's worked longer and longer hours. He's tried so hard to not let the PD show or impact his work, the changes today are a big blow. The short term leave will be a good thing and give him a chance to regain some energy. He works in a "young peoples" business that is fast paced and competitive. Today, he said that he feels like an old horse put out to pasture (yes, he was raised on a farm!).

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#42 Gary K

Gary K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPort St. Lucie, Florida

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

Oh my . . . what a day it has been. My husband met with his boss to explain that he had PD and that he'll be taking a 5 week short term leave of absence. He will have the letter from the doctors next week as we were waiting to learn when his voice therapy could start (got the info on that just this morning). After my husband shared the info, his boss explained that he was being reassigned to a job with with much more rigid hours and responsibilities including 7 AM start time on three weekdays and 2-11 PM shift on weekends (currently he works weekdays with very flexible hours which has made working with his PD manageable). Since he hasn't already turned in the paperwork for accommodations, not sure what options he might have at this point. He is moving ahead with the 5 week leave starting at the end of the month which will give us some time to figure it out, get some rest, and adjust his meds. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Golden, I would recommend that you talk to an employment lawyer and tell them your story. This sounds all too familiar.

#43 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate your words of experience so very much.

The official paperwork will come from the doctor next week, we thought the short term disability was a "slam-dunk" but it may not based on the company that carries the policy (firm gives just 5 days sick leave and then you go on short term disability which requires insurance company approval). The new work assignment won't start until my husband's short-term disability is over (5 weeks). We hope with rest, exercise, medication changes, voice therapy, etc., he'll be in a better spot than today.

Then if this wasn't enough, I learned today that I have breast cancer. Will have surgery and probably radiation soon. I guess when it rains, it pours. Taking it one day at time or maybe just five minutes at time, is our goal for today.

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#44 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

You certainly do have a few too many challenges. I'll pray for you both. I'm sure the rest of the group will do so also

God Bless

#45 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

The official paperwork will come from the doctor next week, we thought the short term disability was a "slam-dunk" but it may not based on the company that carries the policy (firm gives just 5 days sick leave and then you go on short term disability which requires insurance company approval). The new work assignment won't start until my husband's short-term disability is over (5 weeks). We hope with rest, exercise, medication changes, voice therapy, etc., he'll be in a better spot than today.

Then if this wasn't enough, I learned today that I have breast cancer. Will have surgery and probably radiation soon. I guess when it rains, it pours. Taking it one day at time or maybe just five minutes at time, is our goal for today.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003. There is a good discussion board at Cancer Survivors Network. Or you can ask me. Good luck and it'll be ok.

marcia
<3.<3.<3.

Age 64. Diagnosed 2006.

Meds-Carbidopa/levodopa 25-100mg cr tabs four times daily
Benztropine 2mg tabs twice daily
B12 tab for memory loss one daily

#46 Gary K

Gary K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPort St. Lucie, Florida

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

We are all with you, Golden. Thoughts and prayers to you both.

#47 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. I appreciate your concern more than words can say. I've always been one that is good at living in the moment and, in general (especially since my husband was diagnosed with PD), wanting to slow time down. Now, I want time to go faster, at least the next couple of months. Wish I could wake up and it would be Christmas!

One bright side, my husband will be on his 5 week leave when I have surgery and start radiation. Will be easier for both of us than if he were also juggling his work schedule.

#48 vipowitz

vipowitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

my heart goes out to you Golden.........may everything for out for the best for you

#49 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Thank you.

#50 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

My case has been given to the EEOC and they will now investigate.

Gary, Any update on your case with the EEOC? This is such an important discussion topic. I've been off the Forums for awhile and wondered what has happened with your claim against your employer. The "Work" discussion thread has had some information about making decisions regarding continuting to work and it made me think of how helpful your posts were to me and my husband last summer.

#51 vipowitz

vipowitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

gary

what were the results of your legal action?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users