• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jaime

jaime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

I have been on Mirapex 1.5 three times a day, the last dose at night. Should my single dose of Sinemet 25/100 be taken at the same time as one of the Mirapex or separate from it?

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Jamie,
It all depends what you are taking to synemet for? If you let me know i can help you figure ot out.
Thanks.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 jaime

jaime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Jamie,
It all depends what you are taking to synemet for? If you let me know i can help you figure ot out.
Thanks.

I am a Parkinsons patient and I am taking Mirapex 1.5X3. To help with muscle cramps and tiredness in the evening one 20/100 Sinemet was added.
Thanks for your help
Jaime

#4 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Ok, this helps. I would take the sinemet about 30 to 45 minutes prior to bedtime. There is no problem taking them together if the time is close together.
If you are getting up in the middle of the night due to the cramping, you could talk to your dr about sinemet cr. It is a longer acting sinemet that would help you get through the night.
There is also a specific muscle relaxer called baclofen used for PD spasms (also know as dystonia). Most muscle relaxers work by altering chemicals in the brain to get rid of spasms. Baclofen works by acting on a chemical at the sight. Very effective medication that works well on PD and MS patients.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#5 jaime

jaime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

Ok, this helps. I would take the sinemet about 30 to 45 minutes prior to bedtime. There is no problem taking them together if the time is close together.
If you are getting up in the middle of the night due to the cramping, you could talk to your dr about sinemet cr. It is a longer acting sinemet that would help you get through the night.
There is also a specific muscle relaxer called baclofen used for PD spasms (also know as dystonia). Most muscle relaxers work by altering chemicals in the brain to get rid of spasms. Baclofen works by acting on a chemical at the sight. Very effective medication that works well on PD and MS patients.

Dr. Mc Comes,
Thank you very much for your helpful reply. As a follow up may I ask is it common for patients to reduce the amount of Mirapex e.g. from 4.5 per day to 3.5, as one is beginning to take Sinemet ER?
Many Thamks,
jaime

#6 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:55 AM

Jamie,
That is all going to be based on your reaction to the sinemet cr. Usually only one medication is changed at a time, because if more than one are changed you may not lnow which change was good and whoch change was bad.
If the regular sinemet is not relieving the issues all or most of the night, then the change to sinemet cr will help and, the other medications will probably stay the same. Then at your next appt you can let the dr know how the meds have been working or any issues you may be having and at that point the dr may increase, decreease, or not chaange the other meds.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users