3 replies to this topic

#1 Kazie

Kazie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member to this support group. I am the wife and sole caregiver of a male with Parkinson's disease and Parkinson's dimentia. I am very concerned with the way he breathes while sleeping. He does not snore, however, he breathes rapidly, slowly, heavy, soft and very quietly at times. This scares me. Does it sound like just another Parkinson's feature.?

#2 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Dear Caregiver,

Thank you for writing to the forum. It sounds like you are managing a lot for you and your husband so I am glad that you are reaching out to find support and information regarding your concerns.

Without seeing your husband in person, it is difficult to answer your question definitively. There are many reasons for altered breathing during sleep some of them related to PD and some not related to PD. Since there may be health consequences I encourage you to speak to your husband's physician about this.

I can tell you that it is very common for people with PD to have changes in the strength and movement of the muscles in the mouth and throat that could be contributing to what you hear at night. These changes could also lead to difficulty being understood and difficulty swallowing, both of which are important for quality of life. When you speak to the doctor, I recommend that you also request an evaluation with a speech-language pathologist. The evaluation will identify the potential to maximize communication function in terms of cognition and speaking clarity as well as identifying strategies for safe and efficient eating.

Please write again with any further questions you might have.

Sincerely,

Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

#3 rod817

rod817

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

I was dx in Feb. this year and some times I dream about not being able to breath. I awaken with my heart racing and gasping for air.
Not sure why it has happened 3 or 4 times. Last night was 4th time. I have rigidity on both sides but meds are doing there job.

#4 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Dear Newly Diagnosed,
Dreaming about not being able to breath must be distressing and I am sorry this is happening to you. Do you have any difficulty with breathing during the day? How is your activity level? I am not aware of a direct link between Parkinson disease and decreased night time breathing if you are not experiencing any respiratory difficulty during the day. This might be some change related to aging rather than PD per se. It is a topic to discuss with your physician.

I wish you the best,

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users