#21 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:53 AM

I think I am getting past the side effects now of the Mirapex and past the withdrawals too. Feeling better today than I have in 2 weeks. I am to start Alizect next but want to wait until I've been taking the full dose of Simemet for a week or so. The Neurologist actually gave me the Alizect to start the same time as the Sinemet but I've learned from experience to not take 2 new drugs at the same time. It makes it hard to tell which one is causing problems if one of them causes unpleasant side effects.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#22 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

So far so good. Mirapex for five months now. 3 mg for 3 1/2 months. No side effects that I can point too.
Has helped with sleep, reduced tremor and taken away stiffness and slowness.
Still watching for compulsive isues, seems it may take many months for it to show up?
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#23 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Many of you already know what I have posted in the past. The Mirapex made my wife into the person she used to be when she first started on it. The physical symptoms and the anxiety went away. Then she started compulsive behaviour on the computer 6-10 hours a day, constantly printing off information she would never use. She also started baking like crazy, and not very well. There was paranoia and delusions. Of course it was me. She was confused, slept about 5 hours a day and had tons of energy. She gained about 35 lbs in 6 months also, another side effect. I finally convinced her and the doctor to switch her after documenting the behaviour and how it was destroying our marriage. He put her on Requip, she went down to 2-4 hours a day of computer time, stopped baking but started buying clothes almost every day, cheap clothes but exactly what she already had for the most part. She was finally slowly weaned off the Requip to avoid the DAWS previously mentioned. The day she came off of it she was a new person and realized how she had treated the family, especially me. It isn't always a bed of roses now, but much better than when she was on the agonists. Before you start on the agonist ask someone you trust to monitor your behavior, write it down and give it to them since you might be paranoid and think they are making it up. The drug works well for many people, but as previously mentioned the side effects are probably underreported. Also if you are in that small percentage it is 100% for you in that you are affected. There was much more, but no need to go into all of that. Hope all goes well for you that are on it.
coach T

#24 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:09 AM

... Before you start on the agonist ask someone you trust to monitor your behavior, write it down and give it to them since you might be paranoid and think they are making it up... Hope all goes well for you that are on it.
coach T

Thank you sir! My wife watches me like a hawk. When I started Mirapex she read all about it and was very concerned. We still have our guard up since it seems the side effects my show up at any time. But so far so good. Sorry it was so hard on your family.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#25 Spbrown

Spbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thanks all for sharing. Have been on sinemet for a year and a half and now my Doc feels its time to add an agonist. She prescribed Mirapex and I'm about to start it. Hate thought of POSSIBLE side effects but I have to try.

#26 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

As I've stated in other threads, I was put on generic Mirapex. The doc wanted to work me up to 2mg a day but I couldn't get past the nausea so I stopped at 1mg a day. Now I've decreased that to .5mg a day. The nausea finally stopped but once in a while I feel an involuntary muscle jerk. Not often tho. No one knows but me. I have noticed a tinge of anxiety also which I normally don't have. But I only feel it at stressful times. Usually I can stop it by telling myself whatever it is that is causing the stress doesn't matter. Thinking of solutions usually helps. I tend to be a little paranoid now but it's usually about safety issues like making sure the doors are locked (this is worse when I read too much news).

I decided that if I could get by on less I should. I don't work so if I can take care of myself and the chores I do then that's good enough. I have found I do better with exercise. I've been tempted to stop meds but then think about how bad off I was. So a compromise for me is to take as small a dose as I can.

I despise taking pills and never did on a regular basis but realize that I need to now or someone would have to help me function to get through the day. So I will.
<3.<3.<3.

#27 debiant

debiant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

I've only been on it for a month, and so far it's really helped, and I've had minimal side effects. My dad didn't do well on it though, and he is now happily on Requip, along with his Sinumet.

#28 DavidTX

DavidTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

This topic is serendipitous for me as I need advice regarding my experience with Mirapex. I got on it a year ago raising to a dose of 3mg a day extended release tablets. I also take Azilect. The only side effects I dealt with were nausea, dizziness and blurred vision, but I also have gained 20 pounds in the last year and this is not usual for me. The Mirapex really helped with my symptoms although I was not 100% or even 80%. My right arm still barely swings and my hands cramp towards the end of the day. Still at a couple years into my diagnosis I feel like this medication did help me carry on with my life. My symptoms progressed as we all know they do, and my neuro raised me to 4.5mg/day. I had a great burst of energy and feeling normal for a week and then went back to just feeling pretty good. A month later, while on vacation with my family I had a number of new symptoms. Chest pain and tightness, extreme fatigue leaving me bedridden. Anxiety and shortness of breath. When I got home and had my heart and lungs checked out I was totally fine. Having moved my Mirapex dosing times around, I noticed the symptoms always came on 4-6 hours after taking my Mirapex ER (and 6 hours is when the medication begins to work the most). My neruo agreed and told me I could stop the medication and get on Sinemet ER at 25/100 carbidopa/levadopa 3 times a day. I went down to 3mg for a week with no problems except minor muscle cramps but the first day off Mirapex and on Sinemet I had a strange and awful experience. Later I became very restless and my legs kept jerking. I began craving food, cigarettes (I quit 4 years ago), and drugs, which I have not used in years and years. My wife helped me stay calm but I was really freaked out. I remember telling her I wanted to take a Mirapex badly but we managed to sit out the night (which was riddled with RLS and insomnia). Today I woke up very late due to insomnia but felt back to normal. I had a nice day and all was normal with my PD, though my symptoms are not a well controlled as they were on the Mirapex, but it has only been 2 days. I only notice a little nasuea an hour after I take it. Then, at 6pm that smell again, and suddenly EXTREME fatigue and I fell asleep. I just woke up from more RLS. Is this DAWS? Also, do you think the symptoms I had on vacation were related to the stress of traveling and PD and not my MIrapex? Is it normal that my Sinemet is not helping my symptoms as well as the Mirapex did and should I just be patient? I thought it would work right away...

#29 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

This topic is serendipitous for me as I need advice regarding my experience with Mirapex. I got on it a year ago raising to a dose of 3mg a day extended release tablets. I also take Azilect. The only side effects I dealt with were nausea, dizziness and blurred vision, but I also have gained 20 pounds in the last year and this is not usual for me. The Mirapex really helped with my symptoms although I was not 100% or even 80%. My right arm still barely swings and my hands cramp towards the end of the day. Still at a couple years into my diagnosis I feel like this medication did help me carry on with my life. My symptoms progressed as we all know they do, and my neuro raised me to 4.5mg/day. I had a great burst of energy and feeling normal for a week and then went back to just feeling pretty good. A month later, while on vacation with my family I had a number of new symptoms. Chest pain and tightness, extreme fatigue leaving me bedridden. Anxiety and shortness of breath. When I got home and had my heart and lungs checked out I was totally fine. Having moved my Mirapex dosing times around, I noticed the symptoms always came on 4-6 hours after taking my Mirapex ER (and 6 hours is when the medication begins to work the most). My neruo agreed and told me I could stop the medication and get on Sinemet ER at 25/100 carbidopa/levadopa 3 times a day. I went down to 3mg for a week with no problems except minor muscle cramps but the first day off Mirapex and on Sinemet I had a strange and awful experience. Later I became very restless and my legs kept jerking. I began craving food, cigarettes (I quit 4 years ago), and drugs, which I have not used in years and years. My wife helped me stay calm but I was really freaked out. I remember telling her I wanted to take a Mirapex badly but we managed to sit out the night (which was riddled with RLS and insomnia). Today I woke up very late due to insomnia but felt back to normal. I had a nice day and all was normal with my PD, though my symptoms are not a well controlled as they were on the Mirapex, but it has only been 2 days. I only notice a little nasuea an hour after I take it. Then, at 6pm that smell again, and suddenly EXTREME fatigue and I fell asleep. I just woke up from more RLS. Is this DAWS? Also, do you think the symptoms I had on vacation were related to the stress of traveling and PD and not my MIrapex? Is it normal that my Sinemet is not helping my symptoms as well as the Mirapex did and should I just be patient? I thought it would work right away...

It sounds to me that some of your problems could very much be withdrawals from the Mirapex. It is an awful experience, I'm sorry that you are having to go through it. Sinemet didn't work perfectly at first for me either. After getting the right dosage on the right schedule, things are MUCH better. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months on Mirapex because of compulsive eating. I am a big girl anyway but had kept my weight constant for about 10 years because of my Diabetes. Now because of the 30 pound weight gain I've had to start taking a second insulin (fast acting). Hopefully now that I am on Sinemet and some of the compulsiveness is going away I will be able to get those 30 pounds back off and maybe take less insulin. I also had very bad restless legs, hallucinations (auditory, tactile and some visual), the worst anxiety I've ever had and terrible muscle cramps, mainly in my neck. If my memory is correct it seems it took a good 2 months to start getting past the withdrawals. I still find myself craving the Mirapex, especially on nights when the RLS is bad.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#30 MarkTx

MarkTx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Howdy! New here. I went off Mirapex over a year ago, thankfully. It caused massive insomnia for me, I'd be up for 3 days at a time sometimes. Then I'd zone out randomly during the day, let me tell you, driving was scary. No compulsions, but I finally got off of it when my ankles swelled like footballs and turned blotchy. I'm now on 25/100 carb/lev about every 4 hours and am just now working off the excess 30 pounds.

#31 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

I take 3 mg of ER a day, and I DO NOT LOOK FORWARD TO STOPPING. But the day will come soon enough. So far it is a wonder drug for me! But it looks like its a Dr Jeckel and Mr Hyde drug!

#32 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I started increasing my dose of Benztropine. Now I'm taking 2mg twice a day. In 5 days I'm to start increasing the Pramipexole. I'm taking .5 twice a day now but will increase it to 2mg twice a day. For me the Pramipexole (generic Mirapex) makes me nauseous. So increasing it I'm betting I'll be sick. Just hoping I adjust and the nausea stops. This is the main side effect. I still have the minor side effects I mentioned in the previous post.

I am increasing the meds because low doses weren't working and I saw the MDS and he said that small a dose I was taking was minimal.
<3.<3.<3.

#33 rws2266

rws2266

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMontrose, CO

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

I've been on Mirapex for almost a year now, I'm at 3mg a day, with no side effects at all up until 2 weeks ago. Now I doze off in the middle of texting my wife, and while driving. Going in today to get off this stuff before I kill myself or someone else.

Rob

#34 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I've been on Mirapex for almost a year now, I'm at 3mg a day, with no side effects at all up until 2 weeks ago. Now I doze off in the middle of texting my wife, and while driving. Going in today to get off this stuff before I kill myself or someone else.

Rob

Oh boy ! Wow ! I need to be careful.

Edited by Luthersfaith, 04 April 2012 - 02:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users