Post of the Week: What is the best approach to addressing caregiver strain in Parkinson’s disease?
Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:36 PM
Most experts recommended some combination of the following approaches to
Aggressively combat caregiver strain:
• Education about the disease and its course
• Reaching out for help at home from family, friends, community/religious organizations, and health professionals
• Exercise, diet, a normal sleeping pattern, and personal time away from the Parkinson’s disease patient each week (if possible)
• Support groups, and in particular caregiver support groups
• Seeing a doctor for appropriate treatment of caregiver depressive or anxious symptoms (pharmacological approaches)
• Counseling through a licensed clinical social worker or a counseling psychologist
1. Carter JH, Lyons KS, Stewart BJ, Archbold PG, Scobee R. Does age make a difference in caregiver strain? Comparison of young versus older caregivers in early-stage Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 2010 Apr 30;25(6):724-30.
2. Caap-Ahlgren M, Dehlin O. Factors of importance to the caregiver burden experienced by family caregivers of Parkinson's disease patients. Aging Clin Exp
Res. 2002 Oct;14(5):371-7.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users