27 replies to this topic

#1 Meduffer

Meduffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

Hi there. I'm a newbie here. Diagnosed a little over a year ago, symptomatic for a year before that (in denial all the way) and wrestling with depression / anxiety for better than a decade. That's my quickie history but - knock on wood - I'm / we're get 'n by okay. I gather I'm not the only one having crummy nights but the past couple of months I've been experiencing vivid crazy dream when I'm exhausted. Probably not that unusual but when I wake up during the night, I'm still in dream mode. It's kind of alarming for me because I feel like the safety factor / common sense you have while being awake isn't there. My concern is that I'll do something daft or dangerous in this "mode". Several times I've asked my wife if I was dreaming or awake. I suppose this is small potatoes in the PD scheme of things but I was wondering if anyone experiences this.

#2 Jack65

Jack65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

Hi there. I'm a newbie here. Diagnosed a little over a year ago, symptomatic for a year before that (in denial all the way) and wrestling with depression / anxiety for better than a decade. That's my quickie history but - knock on wood - I'm / we're get 'n by okay. I gather I'm not the only one having crummy nights but the past couple of months I've been experiencing vivid crazy dream when I'm exhausted. Probably not that unusual but when I wake up during the night, I'm still in dream mode. It's kind of alarming for me because I feel like the safety factor / common sense you have while being awake isn't there. My concern is that I'll do something daft or dangerous in this "mode". Several times I've asked my wife if I was dreaming or awake. I suppose this is small potatoes in the PD scheme of things but I was wondering if anyone experiences this.

Hey Meduffer,
Thanks for your post. Glad you found the forum. The folks here are great! I have learned so much from others here. Dreams yes count me in - they are so real. Two nights ago my wife woke me up because I was yelling and swinging fist in the air. I was dreaming that I was fighting off zombies on our front porch. Weird, I have not seen a zombie movie in ages but it was so real, it took me a couple hours to snap out of it. I have those vivid dreams every once in awhile not every night but it is unsettling. I know that there are folks here that can share a lot more info then me on why and how or what meds cause this. My wife is my bed monitor, as well as just about everything else, God bless her. If anything you can always tell your doc whats going on. I know vivid dreams is part of parkinsons. Sorry you got this crappy disease, but hey you got folks here that can walk along side ya. Again welcome!
Peace & Health,
Jack

#3 shakti

shakti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hey Meduffer,
Thanks for your post. Glad you found the forum. The folks here are great! I have learned so much from others here. Dreams yes count me in - they are so real. Two nights ago my wife woke me up because I was yelling and swinging fist in the air. I was dreaming that I was fighting off zombies on our front porch. Weird, I have not seen a zombie movie in ages but it was so real, it took me a couple hours to snap out of it. I have those vivid dreams every once in awhile not every night but it is unsettling. I know that there are folks here that can share a lot more info then me on why and how or what meds cause this. My wife is my bed monitor, as well as just about everything else, God bless her. If anything you can always tell your doc whats going on. I know vivid dreams is part of parkinsons. Sorry you got this crappy disease, but hey you got folks here that can walk along side ya. Again welcome!
Peace & Health,
Jack

welcome to the nighttime drama club! i have had really wierd dreams and fought off very large folks in my sleep, while my husband would pat my shoulder and tell me its all right.. lucky thing i never hurt him, while i imagined swinging out with a right. he's bigger than me. i've shouted in my sleep, and said stuff, mostly fight words. its ok. it came and went. i don't have them , but once in a while. i'm a psychotherapist, retired, and have been good at helping folks understand their dreams and their symbols in the dreams. i believe that we all have our own symbolic dreams. whether its the medicine, or parkinson's, or the lousy movie we just watched, i, personally, don't worry about it. i know that i am not going crazy. good luck and i am sure that you can beat those zombies on your front porch. shakti

Edited by shakti, 06 October 2011 - 08:41 AM.

#4 Meduffer

Meduffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hi Jack and shakti,
Thank you for the replys and the warm welcome. It's still very much the adjustment getting a handle on all of this. When I first screwed up the courage to go to my first PD support group meeting (with my wonderful wife) I was far and away the youngest (47) there. Awesome folks and a pleasure to be around but it wasn't until a few months later when I met several PD'er in my age group. It was a huge relief - I'm not rowing this canoe all by myself (with my amazing wife)! One of the gents told me about this forum and said that it's a great place to learn, vent and compare notes. I've been reading the posts for a while and thought it was high time to wave and say hi.
Cheers,
Meduffer

#5 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

I'm told I dream but never remember them. What I do every night is scream, moan, and gasp for air. Of course, I'm the only one who doesn't hear it

#6 Chris H

Chris H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have the same problem. It started after I started taking myrapex. I wake up at night and stay in dream mode, then I start doing things. Usually, I think that our baby is in our bed with us, and I keep trying to prevent him from falling out. One night I thought my wife was our baby, and I tried to lift her up.
You're not alone! Did you say you're taking myrapex?

#7 Pmart2

Pmart2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

i find this topic of dreaming very interesting. When I first getting symtoms of pd, I would get really vivid dreams. Some of them were gory nightmares. But i began teaching myself how to lucid dream. I got really good at it, and basically started making my own dreams. I think this was partly due to my mirapex, because when i stopped it became harder to do it. I wish I still had that ability i rarely remember my dreams now.
teamfox.org/2011/praveen

#8 Bill S

Bill S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

Hi I am a 47 year old diagnosed in Oct 2008. My dreams as I put it wacho dreams started once I was put on carbo dopa / leva dopa (setimet). They actually got worse when I was put on a slow release pill (purple) to help with less rigity and cramping overnight & less stifness and a quicker impact of my morning meds. Doctor told me that higher dopamine in system at night can lead to these vivid dreams. Many dreams are theme related. At first I was asking myself what is reality my dreams or awake times. In short I guess you just get used to making compromises with PD, as this anoying disease changes your symptoms and medications. I also am on meds for high anxiety. I do lots of exercise which seems to keep anxiety at bay - half marathon in mid October. Hang in there, your not alone...

Regards.

Bill

Toronto, Canada

#9 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

http://tinyurl.com/6wuuuyv

Pirate gerbils and sea fluffies … just some things one man talks about in his sleep
By David Graham Living reporter

By day he’s a mild-mannered English husband.

But at night, moments after Adam falls asleep, his ribald alter-ego springs to life and he becomes Adam the trash-talking chatterbox.

Rather than being annoyed, Adam’s wife, Karen Slavick, is so amused by her husband’s midnight ramblings that she created a blog (sleeptalkinman.blogspot.com) to spread his words. It’s since become a must-visit site for many who simply want a good laugh about “zombie guinea pigs” to cheer up their day.

She calls him “Sleep Talkin’ Man” — an outspoken, often racy departure from the quiet gentleman she married.

Adam, who’s afflicted with a rare condition called “sleep cinema,” conjures wild and crazy storylines, lending his voice to characters that often make little or no sense.

As in, “I don’t break hearts. No. I destroy them. I’m the Death Star of breakups.”

According to sleep experts, such nighttime chatter is more common in children, tapering off as people grow older. Adam’s surprising nocturnal emissions often don’t make sense, and the couple has been known to struggle over the meaning behind his disjointed harangues, though, for the most part none exists.

Karen recalls she first heard her husband dream talking about two years ago.

She was initially amused with the nightly outbursts, mostly revealed in a sleepy, slow-motion British accent. She began by writing them down, hoping that in the morning they could decipher some hidden meaning in the text.

Soon though she began recording the peculiar words he uttered as many as three times a night, each one lasting less than 30 seconds. Then she started posting them online in 2009.

Karen obviously gets a kick out of Adams vivid imagination: “My mild mannered English husband Adam lives quite a colorful existence in his dreams. Having benefited from hours of delight at his dead-of-night musings, I thought it only fair to share them with the world.”

Sleep say it is not uncommon for people like Adam to launch into colorful expletives that can be vulgar and offensive.

And there is apparently no cure, though eating a big meal before bed and stress don’t help.

Adam’s midnight musings

"This is a friendly rock. Let me rub it on your face lightly. Yeah. Now it's got your scent, it'll like you. Let me show you: Stand there, and I'm gonna throw the rock at you. Watch how it wants to connect with you, time and again." Oct. 26, 2011

"Seriously, could you be any more annoying? Oh. Oh yes, you could. You could be your mother." Oct. 20. 2011

"Get up! You gotta get up. We've got some watching to do. Mmm-hmmm. So get up, and make me food! I need food to watch. Gimme some watching food. Mmmm. Watching food." Oct. 20. 2011

"I'm so lucky to have disciples like you— FRIENDS, friends like you." June 30, 2011

"Red panda… Blue panda… Blue panda… Green! Panda, stop changing colours. Someone go and get chameleon and find out what the hell's happened here." Feb. 26, 2011

#10 Bounties

Bounties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

My wife has very bad nightmares and is very vocal in here sleep. We just recently went to a neurologist who put her on clonazapam. This has helped a lot, we are all different so if the dreams are bothering you go and see a doctor, they can help with it. My partner use to swear a lot in here sleep and act out sometimes.

The answer is not always simple, I wish you luck in getting it resolved. :-)
Parkinsons Online Support
http://parkinsons-on...pport.com/blog/

#11 jerber

jerber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have the same problem. It started after I started taking myrapex. I wake up at night and stay in dream mode, then I start doing things. Usually, I think that our baby is in our bed with us, and I keep trying to prevent him from falling out. One night I thought my wife was our baby, and I tried to lift her up.

#12 jerber

jerber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

#13 jerber

jerber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi. I'm new to the forum & find it very informative & interesting. I was diagnosed with PD two years ago @ age 46. Chris H. I also have vivid dreams. Usually I will talk in my sleep or scream. (usually cursing which isn't my usual self). I also act out my dreams. One of my first episodes was when I was dreaming about work and using the computer. I woke my husband up as I was typing on him! Imagine my (& his) surprise. He said " what are you doing?" I was confused & then realized my dream . My doc has diagnosed me with REM Sleep Behavior Disorder due to the PD. one of my last episodes came after a trip to see my granddaughter. I was dreaming that I was feeding the baby, but tried to feed my hubby! He said I was talking to him in baby voice using my finger to " feed" him saying " c'mon, c'mon!". We had to laugh over that one. I find laughter has saved me in so many ways :razz: (I'm just glad I wasn't dreaming that I was changing a diaper!

#14 shakti

shakti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hi. I'm new to the forum & find it very informative & interesting. I was diagnosed with PD two years ago @ age 46. Chris H. I also have vivid dreams. Usually I will talk in my sleep or scream. (usually cursing which isn't my usual self). I also act out my dreams. One of my first episodes was when I was dreaming about work and using the computer. I woke my husband up as I was typing on him! Imagine my (& his) surprise. He said " what are you doing?" I was confused & then realized my dream . My doc has diagnosed me with REM Sleep Behavior Disorder due to the PD. one of my last episodes came after a trip to see my granddaughter. I was dreaming that I was feeding the baby, but tried to feed my hubby! He said I was talking to him in baby voice using my finger to " feed" him saying " c'mon, c'mon!". We had to laugh over that one. I find laughter has saved me in so many ways :razz: (I'm just glad I wasn't dreaming that I was changing a diaper!

last week , i must of had a premonition that my husband was in danger and i screamed for 15 minutes in my sleep ( according to him) i remember the screaming, because in my dream , in order to save somebody , i was screaming for help, although i was told to be extra quiet. the next day we discovered that the cough my husband had was really heart disease and he was quite ill. he is better , now, from the meds given him by the doctor, but still not at all himself. my noisy dreams, since parkinson's , have to do with saving someone, or myself. its quite exhausting and i haven't rescued anyone, so far.

#15 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Dear Shakti,

Funny you should mention this today, when I woke up and remembered a dream, and wasn't sure that it hadn't really happened! Do your dreams bleed over into your very often?

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#16 shakti

shakti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Dear Shakti,

Funny you should mention this today, when I woke up and remembered a dream, and wasn't sure that it hadn't really happened! Do your dreams bleed over into your very often?

dear dirayd, the dreams that were like a premonition don't happen very much, but they are usually important dreams and sometimes a warning, like get a large car. soon after that one, we were in a car accident, no fault of our own, and we were lucky we were in a clunker. i wish i could use my dreams in a spiritual way. i bought a book on it, but haven't gotten very far. i figure, as long as the meds or the parkinson's are making me have severe dreams, i might as well make the most of it and see what i can learn.

#17 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Dreams are dreams. I use to remember them when i was young. Now i forget them when i wake up.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#18 Myron

Myron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

I've been interested in this particular topic for some time since I have had such "acting out" dreams for many years. For a long time I felt that there was something pschologically wrong, even though I am a psychologist by training. But the more that I read about this topic, the more it became clear to me that, at least in my case, it was a matter of REM Sleep Behavior Disorder and that REMBD often preceeds parkinsons and can be considered a "marker" that should alert one to the possibility of having parkinsons. What is interested is that when I first discussed this with my primary care physician, he attributed the dreams to the medication. Later I discussed this with my neurologist (a wonderful person) who again said that it was due to the medication. Now I have a new neurologist (my previous neurolgoist retired) who again attributed these dreams to my medication. I know of course that this is not the case since I have had these dreams for so many years prior to my diagnosis and the medication treatment. My hope is, of course, that the topic of REMBD is discussed more frequently and more research done on the topic lest some of us start attributing these dreams (acting out and vivid) to some deep psychological problem. In my case my lovely wife gently and if necessary awakens me and even though at times it may take me a couple of hours to "calm down", at least I am not hurting her or myself. Thanks for letting me share my personal experiences.

#19 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

I was going to start a new topic, but then found that this is not new at all.

I have had vivid dreams for a long time, and was wondering if this was common. When I was young, I had the same dream over and over again - riding an elephant in the circus with a mother elephant chasing me - over and over and over again.. When I was in my twenties, it was a man standing over my bed with a knife. I would wake screaming (waking my roommate) over and over and over again. Ask my wife - the screaming hasn't stopped. Fortunately, at least, the dreams are different, but no less frightening. Creatures in the back of a dark room staring at me and lunging toward me, people or creatures chasing me ... more. One night I woke to see a figure in the hallway. I asked who was there with no answer, then screamed at the figure only to see it silently creep away and go down the stairs. Scared the living crap out of me, and to this day, I'm not sure what I saw or didn't see. Dreams within dreams are fun too. Just when you feel safe.

"What the hell?" is what I ask myself many times upon waking (and with my heart going at 180 bpm).

Now through reading these helpful posts and other reading, I know that these vivid and vocal dreams are early signs of the potential for PD. Now that I've been diagnosed, at least I have a bit of an explanation - that's nice and all, but ... My question - for those of you who have had this in their past - does this ever stop? I can live with it (and have for many years), but am hoping/wondering if I can at least look forward to this phase ending as the other fun of PD ramps up. It would at least be nice to get a good night's sleep (like tonight as a I write this at 1:50 am).

Having said all that, those of you who know me know that I'm a glass half full guy. At least I don't have to go to the movies to be scared or entertained. Just curious.

Off to bed now (don't let the bed bugs bite - or grow to 50 times their normal size and carry you off). Can't wait to go to sleep :???: A new episode awaits.

Thanks to all!
Bob

#20 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

I would actually wake up my husband with my screaming but when I woke I didn't remember the dream. Before I was diagnosed I had such bad back and hip pain that I slept in the recliner in the living room which is close to my mother-in- law's room. She said I would wake her too. Since I started Sinemet these have stoped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users