• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pat s

pat s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for taking my question. I recently read that there are telehealth and software options for LSVT/LOUD therapies using SKYPE. My husband had an evaluation by a very fine therapist in Philadelphia, but because I work, we cannot travel into city for the consecutive sessions required to do the LSVT?LOUD therapy. If he could do it at home, that would be wonderful. Is there softward to purchase? We already use SKYPE to speak to our children. Thank you.
pat s.

#2 Dr. Bassich

Dr. Bassich

Speech Clinician Moderator

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for taking my question. I recently read that there are telehealth and software options for LSVT/LOUD therapies using SKYPE. My husband had an evaluation by a very fine therapist in Philadelphia, but because I work, we cannot travel into city for the consecutive sessions required to do the LSVT?LOUD therapy. If he could do it at home, that would be wonderful. Is there softward to purchase? We already use SKYPE to speak to our children. Thank you.
pat s.

#3 Dr. Bassich

Dr. Bassich

Speech Clinician Moderator

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

Dear Pat,
It's unfortunate that your husband cannot participate in traditional LSVT-Loud, as it's prescribe - meaning 4 days per week for 4 week. However, there is one study that documents positive outcomes for persons with Parkinson disease who completed LSVT using a ‘SKYPE’ or telehealth delivery model for treatment. The reference is Theodoros, D. et al., (2006). Treating the speech disorder in Parkinson’s disease online. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 12(S3), 88-91.

However, there are many states where Medicare or other insurance companies do not approve using telehealth for speech therapy. If reimbursement issues are not a problem for you, I suggest you navigate to the Lee Silverman Voice Therapy website to learn more about telehealth delivery and to find a therapist in your area who can work with you, if the speech pathologist who evaluated your husband is not able to provide a telehealth approach. The LSVT website is

http://www.lsvtglobal.com/

I hope this helps you to seek help to find some speech therapy that will be helpful to your husband!

Dr. Celia Bassich, PhD, CCC-SLP
Faculty Member, Allied Team Training for Parkinson Disease, NPF

#4 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for taking my question. I recently read that there are telehealth and software options for LSVT/LOUD therapies using SKYPE. My husband had an evaluation by a very fine therapist in Philadelphia, but because I work, we cannot travel into city for the consecutive sessions required to do the LSVT?LOUD therapy. If he could do it at home, that would be wonderful. Is there software to purchase? We already use SKYPE to speak to our children. Thank you.
pat s.

Pat,

I would like to add a comment to Dr. Bassich's earlier reply about speech treatment for PD via telehealth. There are several studies that have been done in the US and Australia demonstrating that LSVT LOUD using SKYPE or some distance telehealth software can be beneficial in a manner similar to face-to-face treatment. This is good news since the logistics of receiving intensive treatment can be challenging. It is best if you can start with an evaluation in person with a speech-language pathologist to determine whether this is a good treatment option for your husband based on his individual communication characteristics. Not all states are currently reimbursing treatment via telehealth but it is definitely a growing treatment option. When I see a patient via Skype, I prefer if they can do the first few sessions live and then we do a combination of live sessions and sessions via the web and this has been effective.

The important thing is to start treatment soon. Software alone is not effective because the patient needs feedback to learn where normal loudness is and how to produce normal loudness using healthy voice techniques. I hope this additional information is helpful. Please write again if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP
Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users