#1 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Dr. Okun,

Is it a good idea to compound Stalevo? My local pharmacy said they have make one liquid of Carbo/Levo and one liquid for Entacapone and then I can have my mom take them together when it's time for her meds to be taken. Will this be the same as her chewing them up? I can crush them myself in that case and mix them in ice cream and have her take it that way. Or should I just switch her to Sinemet but I'll try the name brand this time around. My mom had been taking the generic version with poor results. I wonder if the name brand will work stronger. I am very stressed out on this. My mom swallows Stalevo maybe once a month and just chews it up the rest of the time.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,753 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

This is an art of medicine question without an answer. The company does not recommend splitting Entacapone (Comtan). Not sure about liquids.

Under a docs guidance certainly one can compare generic and regular sinemet.

If trouble chewing why noy dissolvable sinemet which has the same exact absorption if swallowed??

Good luck.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

She doesn't have trouble chewing. She just chews everything before swallowing. Parcopa gave her bad breath and made her teeth fall out and wasn't that effective.
I crushed Stalevo for my mom 2 nights in a row into a fine powder and mixed it with ice-cream and I won't say she's normal but she didn't get worse. When she does take Stalevo whole she may seem more alert but the effect still only lasts about 4 hours or so.

I will say that her mind seems to be getting worse so do you think Stalevo is doing this? Keep in mind that she was always taking Stalevo since probably 1998 but only last year when she stopped wanting to swallow her meds. This is why I have been toggling between different variations of Sinemet with Stalevo. She's tried generic, parcopa, so all that's left is the name brand version. Do you think it will make much difference?

She seems to be sleeping with her mouth opened more and more now and even makes snoring noises but her eyes are opened. It is very freaky. What's going on?

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,753 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the response. I think you would be best served by an in person evaluation.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users