• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cass

cass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hello, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons 2 years ago at 65. He has dealt with depression/anxiety throughout his life but has been functioning with limited medication. Once the Parkinsons came on all heck broke loose. He has been hospitalized once with doctors trying to find the right "cocktail" of meds for the motor symptoms along with the depression/anxiety/ocd. We are having a difficult time finding a doctor who can see the whole picture meaning the neurologist just says "oh your parkinsons isn't that bad" and the psychiatrist says the anxiety/ocd has nothing to do with the parkinsons.
What we know as his family is that he was fully functioning prior to the diagnosis and now he is not. He has no desire to do anything that he used to love to do like play golf, work in the yard, play with his grandson, etc. His mind constantly replays words over and over again which in turn makes him extremely anxious because he can't get it to stop. The psych recently tried him on wellbutrin but it just ramped him up and actually was giving him agressive thoughts. Right now he takes carb-levo, fluvox & buspar and zanax when needed.
Any suggestions on how we can find doctors who deal with both the motor & non motor symptoms of parkinsons patients would be great! Also any suggestions on how to deal with severe anxiety/ocd & parkinsons would be very helpful. I know there has to be others that have experienced this and I just can't believe that this is the best it's going to be for my dad-I just can't!

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:57 PM

You may want to call the NPF helpline and get a referral to a center of excellence or a center where there is some expertise.

It is important to establish whether the anxiety is a wearing off phenomenon-- in those cases making medication intervals closer and sometimes increasing the dose of sinemet is helpful.

There can also be generalized anxiety disorder and other issues--- these are harder to treat.

The Luvox for the OCD is very good but must be titrated to the right dose.

Sometimes a mood stabilizer like depakote is helpful, but this must be taken on a case by case basis.

Some of the description sounds like apathy and not depression.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 Bounties

Bounties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hello, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons 2 years ago at 65. He has dealt with depression/anxiety throughout his life but has been functioning with limited medication. Once the Parkinsons came on all heck broke loose. He has been hospitalized once with doctors trying to find the right "cocktail" of meds for the motor symptoms along with the depression/anxiety/ocd. We are having a difficult time finding a doctor who can see the whole picture meaning the neurologist just says "oh your parkinsons isn't that bad" and the psychiatrist says the anxiety/ocd has nothing to do with the parkinsons.
What we know as his family is that he was fully functioning prior to the diagnosis and now he is not. He has no desire to do anything that he used to love to do like play golf, work in the yard, play with his grandson, etc. His mind constantly replays words over and over again which in turn makes him extremely anxious because he can't get it to stop. The psych recently tried him on wellbutrin but it just ramped him up and actually was giving him agressive thoughts. Right now he takes carb-levo, fluvox & buspar and zanax when needed.
Any suggestions on how we can find doctors who deal with both the motor & non motor symptoms of parkinsons patients would be great! Also any suggestions on how to deal with severe anxiety/ocd & parkinsons would be very helpful. I know there has to be others that have experienced this and I just can't believe that this is the best it's going to be for my dad-I just can't!

Parkinsons Online Support
http://parkinsons-on...pport.com/blog/

#4 Bounties

Bounties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

Join a local support group, I think they are called chapters in America. Sometimes than can tell you who are the best neurologists are from practical experience. Plus relating to others with the same problems can help to resolve things easier. :D
Parkinsons Online Support
http://parkinsons-on...pport.com/blog/

#5 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

I will post for you. I suggest you call the NPF Helpline for advice and a referral.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users