• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cailean

cailean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

Hi - I don't know if this topic has been raised before but is there any practical reason why DBS parts can't be taken from someone who has passed on and reused in another patient? Once you get past the initial 'yuk' factor it makes sense. Ironically people are more at ease with the idea of using dead people's organs than they are with inorganic items. I look forward to the first listing on Ebay :-)

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for the post. I believe that the FDA and regulatory agencies prohibit this practice. They are probably concerned about infection, quality, and breakage issues. Interesting notion though....
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 cailean

cailean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:29 AM

Hi - I don't know if this topic has been raised before but is there any practical reason why DBS parts can't be taken from someone who has passed on and reused in another patient? Once you get past the initial 'yuk' factor it makes sense. Ironically people are more at ease with the idea of using dead people's organs than they are with inorganic items. I look forward to the first listing on Ebay :-)

Fair enough re issues of quality etc but the same can be said about organs but no one is saying that they can't be used.
I'm positive that many PD'ers who could not otherwise afford a DBS would gladly accept used & refurbished systems. Naturally the manufacturers will fight against this.

Regards, Cailean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users