• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ives

ives

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

I have had PD for 10 years, the last 3 of which have been marked by daily "meltdowns." They consist of violent tremors (hands, legs, feet, lips), cramps, "freezing" and considerable confusion. My medications are 19.5 Sinemet per day; 1 Lorazepam; and 1 Seroquel. Until August of this year I was also taking 6 Comtan per day until I ran out of the medication and couldn't get any for 10 days. I had to quit Comtan cold, but was amazed to find that nearly all of my PD symptoms disappeared almost immediately. Once I got my refill, I restarted the Comtan and after 2 pills, experienced my "meltdowns." I stopped the Comtan and have been symptom-free since the last part of August. I get tired for about an hour and a half to two hours beginning around 4:30 p.m. but pick up after that. I know that I have PD, but am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. This may just be another phase in the PD, but I certainly have enjoyed the past 16 weeks and have no complaints. I'm just puzzled at this turn of events.

I would appreciate anything anyone might be willing to share along these lines.

Many thanks.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

I will post for you.

I have had patients over the years do better off comtan.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 KiminJapan

KiminJapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationKanazawa, Japan

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

I tried contain for 3 months and In addition to worse dyskinesia in spite of lower doses of sinemet, my off times became much, much more dramatic. My days were like a roller coaster and very unpleasant. Sincere contain also failed to increase my on time, so it was really an easy choice to give up on it. I'm now back to pretty smooth days on sinemet and Selegiline, 1/2 a 25/100 every 2 - 2 1/2 hours and 2.5 mg Selegiline morning and noon. Contain was not my friend! So, no, you are not alone.

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the comments. It is always nice to get feedback from others with direct experience!
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users