• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rkincaid

rkincaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

I have been diagnosed with PD since March, 2011, and I take the following meds (for Parkinsons as well as other conditions):

Requip XL 16mg per day
Azilect 1 mg per day
Aspirin 325 mg. per day
Simvastatin 20 mg per day
Synthroid 125 mcg per day
Ambien 10 mg to go to sleep; 10 mg. more in middle of night
Vitamin d 4000/ day
Folguard (Folic acid, B-6, B12)
Calcium Citrate 400/ day
Magnesium 500/ day

I recently had back surgery, and the surgeon wants me to take a round of Prednisone for inflammation. Are there any drug interactions with my existing meds? Are there any other reasons not to take prednisone with Parkinson's?

Thank you.

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the question, and i have been in your shoes before. So, the only issues I see with taking Prednisone with your meds just has to do with timimg.
Prednisone & Aspirin: Both can be very hard on the stomach. So, you can seperate them by taking them with different meals or, choose your largest meal, eat about half of it , take the aspirin and prednisone, then finish. That way it is surrounded by food and will not upset the stomach.

Prednisone & Calcium Citrate: when taken at the same time, the calcium can bind to the predisone and delay the absorbtion of the prednisone. If you seperate them by a few hours, you should be fine.

How effective is your regime for you? I see some other possible interactions, such as simvastatin and most other meds you take. Sinve simvastatin is metabolized by the liver, as most of the PD meds are also. Timing is everything when you take them.
Let me know how the rest of your meds are working, maybe we can tweak the timing of some to get greater effectiveness for you. Just let me know the exact times you are taking what medication.
Thanks and heal well my friend.

I have been diagnosed with PD since March, 2011, and I take the following meds (for Parkinsons as well as other conditions):

Requip XL 16mg per day
Azilect 1 mg per day
Aspirin 325 mg. per day
Simvastatin 20 mg per day
Synthroid 125 mcg per day
Ambien 10 mg to go to sleep; 10 mg. more in middle of night
Vitamin d 4000/ day
Folguard (Folic acid, B-6, B12)
Calcium Citrate 400/ day
Magnesium 500/ day

I recently had back surgery, and the surgeon wants me to take a round of Prednisone for inflammation. Are there any drug interactions with my existing meds? Are there any other reasons not to take prednisone with Parkinson's?

Thank you.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 rkincaid

rkincaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the question, and i have been in your shoes before. So, the only issues I see with taking Prednisone with your meds just has to do with timimg.
Prednisone & Aspirin: Both can be very hard on the stomach. So, you can seperate them by taking them with different meals or, choose your largest meal, eat about half of it , take the aspirin and prednisone, then finish. That way it is surrounded by food and will not upset the stomach.

Prednisone & Calcium Citrate: when taken at the same time, the calcium can bind to the predisone and delay the absorbtion of the prednisone. If you seperate them by a few hours, you should be fine.

How effective is your regime for you? I see some other possible interactions, such as simvastatin and most other meds you take. Sinve simvastatin is metabolized by the liver, as most of the PD meds are also. Timing is everything when you take them.
Let me know how the rest of your meds are working, maybe we can tweak the timing of some to get greater effectiveness for you. Just let me know the exact times you are taking what medication.
Thanks and heal well my friend.

Many thanks for the reply. I do not know if the drug regimen is working. I have the following symptoms: a tremor in my right hand about 10% of the time; significant reactions (nausea, fatigue) from slowed digestion; a duodenal ulcer; a bad back, even after surgery; the beginnings of some mental slowdown; insomnia, and I had an LAD blockage a year ago, stented. In spite of these problems, life goes on richly. I teach MBA students, do several public speaking gigs a year (mostly on the economy) am active in several organizations, spend quality time with my new wife, my two children and five grandchildren; read extensively; visit and talk with friends on the phone. Walk and exercise a bit.

I take the PD drugs around dinner time, ambien at bed time, and the rest in the morning. I would like to cut out some of the drugs: the best candidates are aspirin and simvastatin, since my ticker seems to be ok, and Azilect, since it has limited effectiveness. I could also cut out the calcium since I get plenty of milk products. I could ask the cardio doc if I can resume Plavix in place of aspirin (I took it for a year after the stenting, just completed).

I would love to hear your reactions.

#4 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

I think a yearly blood test should be done. This will give more info on cholesterol levels. Simvastatin is the med that really binds liver enzymes, so seperate that from other meds by a few hours.
Trading aspirin for plavix is an expensive exchange. If aspirin is working, stick with it.
I trly think a complete physical and blood test will narrow what to do.
Keep me posted.

Many thanks for the reply. I do not know if the drug regimen is working. I have the following symptoms: a tremor in my right hand about 10% of the time; significant reactions (nausea, fatigue) from slowed digestion; a duodenal ulcer; a bad back, even after surgery; the beginnings of some mental slowdown; insomnia, and I had an LAD blockage a year ago, stented. In spite of these problems, life goes on richly. I teach MBA students, do several public speaking gigs a year (mostly on the economy) am active in several organizations, spend quality time with my new wife, my two children and five grandchildren; read extensively; visit and talk with friends on the phone. Walk and exercise a bit.

I take the PD drugs around dinner time, ambien at bed time, and the rest in the morning. I would like to cut out some of the drugs: the best candidates are aspirin and simvastatin, since my ticker seems to be ok, and Azilect, since it has limited effectiveness. I could also cut out the calcium since I get plenty of milk products. I could ask the cardio doc if I can resume Plavix in place of aspirin (I took it for a year after the stenting, just completed).

I would love to hear your reactions.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users