5 replies to this topic

#1 joyfulnoise

joyfulnoise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

can mirapex increase irritability,depression, and fatigue. my husband has been on mirapex since this summer and the fatigue in the evening seems to increase irritability. It is hard to know because it was there for the past year before starting mirapex and seems to be getting worse, it's like the fun energetic person is gone , the light has gone out of his eyes.

He is more apathetic and very difficult to discuss any problems with. He used to be more layed back and would talk easier.

we have 3 teenagers and he isn't very involved with them compared to the past,
finding it hard to know if its the meds or the PD and knowing what can't be changed and just learning to live with the "handicap" caused by PD

Edited by joyfulnoise, 10 January 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Everything you described can be an issue with Mirapex or the disease itself. This is usually The starting point of the possibility of more drastict wife effects that you have heard of. I would definitly make an appointment with The Dr To possibly get a change in medication.
Some people can change To Requip, which is in The same class, And not get those side effects. Please make sure you go with him. I ALWAYS recommend that The main caregiver attend ALL appointments And bring a list. If you have not done this before, please discuss with him that it is For his benefit because you see things that he does not. I bring my wife To EVERY appointment And she is The truth syrum. The First time I felt like she through me under The bus, but now i understand that she is on The outside looking in For my best interest. She brings her list Of converns, as I do. It is a great habit To get into.
I would like To say,"thank you," from all Of us with PD. i have always said it is much easier To have PD than To Take care Of someone with it. I give you my highest comiment For being so involved.

can mirapex increase irritability,depression, and fatigue. my husband has been on mirapex since this summer and the fatigue in the evening seems to increase irritability. It is hard to know because it was there for the past year before starting mirapex and but seems to begetting worse, it's like the fun energetic person is gone , the light has done out of his eyes.

He is more apathetic and very difficult to discuss any problems with. He used to be more layed back and would talk easier.

we have 3 teenagers and he isn't very involved with them compared to the past,
finding it hard to know what is causing what and knowing what can't be changed and just learning to live with the "handicap" caused by PD

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 joyfulnoise

joyfulnoise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Everything you described can be an issue with Mirapex or the disease itself. This is usually The starting point of the possibility of more drastict wife effects that you have heard of. I would definitly make an appointment with The Dr To possibly get a change in medication.
Some people can change To Requip, which is in The same class, And not get those side effects. Please make sure you go with him. I ALWAYS recommend that The main caregiver attend ALL appointments And bring a list. If you have not done this before, please discuss with him that it is For his benefit because you see things that he does not. I bring my wife To EVERY appointment And she is The truth syrum. The First time I felt like she through me under The bus, but now i understand that she is on The outside looking in For my best interest. She brings her list Of converns, as I do. It is a great habit To get into.
I would like To say,"thank you," from all Of us with PD. i have always said it is much easier To have PD than To Take care Of someone with it. I give you my highest comiment For being so involved.

thanks for your comments! I am involved and it will help to have your input, i love my husband and want the best for all of us! Thanks for doing this, it is so helpful, I was hesitant but now you all may get tired of me:)

blessings on your helping others

#4 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for the kind words. This is truly a family, not just the experts but also the people who post. You can learn a lot from them, as well as the experts.
I always hate saying this, but "Welcome to the family." I hope someday I never have to say it again. Until there is a cure, together we fight.

thanks for your comments! I am involved and it will help to have your input, i love my husband and want the best for all of us! Thanks for doing this, it is so helpful, I was hesitant but now you all may get tired of me:)

blessings on your helping others

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#5 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm not an expert, just a wife that usually goes to all the appointments! My husband developed exactly the sypmptoms you described when starting Mirapex in July. He was taking a short term disability leave for what was supposed to be five weeks to start the Mirapex and complete the Loud voice therapy. The voice therapy was helpful but he kept getting sicker and sicker (couldn't exercise, got cloudy thinking,felt like he had the flu and worse all the time. I was diagnosed with breast cancer just before he started his leave and ended up with two surgeries in August and September so there was a lot of additional stress for us. I sent my sister (she has Parkinson's too) with him for the appointment with the MDS right after my second surgery. He stopped the Mirapex in September and finally in late October, I looked and him and said "You're back!". It was frightening to me to see such a sudden change and at a time that I needed him to "be there" more than ever. The five week leave from work turned into five months and he went back to work part time in December and will probably continue that schedule for at least another month. He also had a short run on Sinemet in September too. He didn't get worse but certainly wasn't any better. Looking back, his MDS feels that the reaction was to the Mirapex and that it is likely he will tolerate Sinemet when he needs it down the road. For now, he is doing well going back to his old medications (Azilect, Artane, Amantadine) and exercising as much as he can (he's been through BIG and some occupational therapy training). Needless to say, his MDS says she doesn't recommend trying the Mirapex again. For me, I'm delighted my husband truly is back for me.

#6 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

I am glad I could help. I have seen this many times and I am not saying that Mirapex is a "bad" medication, I am just saying that it is not for everyone.
Bless you and your family for overcoming such great adversity with your issue and your husband's as well. A great quote I love comes from Lou Holtz who was a football coach, but is now a football analystvand motivational speaker. I had the great opportunity to meet him when he coached at Notre Dame, and he said, "Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I'll show you someone who has overcome adversity."
I said, "Thank you," and shook his hand. It was that short interaction that has affected my entire outlook on life.
Also, every morning, I tell my 4 daughters and my wife, "Choose to have a great day!" I believe it is a choice, and is you choose it, nothing or no one can stop it from being great.

I'm not an expert, just a wife that usually goes to all the appointments! My husband developed exactly the sypmptoms you described when starting Mirapex in July. He was taking a short term disability leave for what was supposed to be five weeks to start the Mirapex and complete the Loud voice therapy. The voice therapy was helpful but he kept getting sicker and sicker (couldn't exercise, got cloudy thinking,felt like he had the flu and worse all the time. I was diagnosed with breast cancer just before he started his leave and ended up with two surgeries in August and September so there was a lot of additional stress for us. I sent my sister (she has Parkinson's too) with him for the appointment with the MDS right after my second surgery. He stopped the Mirapex in September and finally in late October, I looked and him and said "You're back!". It was frightening to me to see such a sudden change and at a time that I needed him to "be there" more than ever. The five week leave from work turned into five months and he went back to work part time in December and will probably continue that schedule for at least another month. He also had a short run on Sinemet in September too. He didn't get worse but certainly wasn't any better. Looking back, his MDS feels that the reaction was to the Mirapex and that it is likely he will tolerate Sinemet when he needs it down the road. For now, he is doing well going back to his old medications (Azilect, Artane, Amantadine) and exercising as much as he can (he's been through BIG and some occupational therapy training). Needless to say, his MDS says she doesn't recommend trying the Mirapex again. For me, I'm delighted my husband truly is back for me.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users