• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne123

Suzanne123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hi. I am Suzanne and I am new to this. My mother has Parkinson's. She went into the hospital Christmas Eve after several falls and not being able to walk 3 feet. On Dec. 26th she started being mentally unaware.She had a little confusion before a couple of times like thinking she lived in an apartment when she lives in a house and thinking there was another person in the car but then she would realize that those weren't true. Everyday now she gets more and more confused. I was wondering if anybody knows or has experienced such sudden dementia with Parkinson's? I would greatly appreciate any advice and opinions. Thank you all.

#2 Sam55

Sam55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalais, Maine

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hi. I am Suzanne and I am new to this. My mother has Parkinson's. She went into the hospital Christmas Eve after several falls and not being able to walk 3 feet. On Dec. 26th she started being mentally unaware.She had a little confusion before a couple of times like thinking she lived in an apartment when she lives in a house and thinking there was another person in the car but then she would realize that those weren't true. Everyday now she gets more and more confused. I was wondering if anybody knows or has experienced such sudden dementia with Parkinson's? I would greatly appreciate any advice and opinions. Thank you all.

#3 Sam55

Sam55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalais, Maine

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi,
I don't know if you there is a sudden onset of dementia with PD, but most dementia comes on slowly.
I would wonder if she has a delirium? A delirium comes on quickly, & is usually from a medical cause, such as a urinary tract infection, COPD, blood sugars out of wack- a multitude of things can cause it. Certain medications in seniors can cause it as well.
I would check with her doc to see what is going on medically.
The confusion will clear in time after the medical issue is resolved.
Hope this is helpful

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hi Suzanne,

Welcome to the forum. I am a PWP with cognitive deficits, but so far no dementia. I feel sad that you are seeing such a drastic, sudden change in you mom. The only suggestion I have is to ask Dr. Okun on the "Ask the Doctor" part of the foum, if you haven't already. He is a wonderful resouce! I wish he lived next door so I could run over and ask him any question I have at any time. He is in FL and I am in WA, so that can't happenPosted Image. The Forum is the next best thing.

I hope you find the answers that you are looking for, and the support we've come to cherish in this forum. Write any time!Posted Image

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 Suzanne123

Suzanne123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi,
I don't know if you there is a sudden onset of dementia with PD, but most dementia comes on slowly.
I would wonder if she has a delirium? A delirium comes on quickly, & is usually from a medical cause, such as a urinary tract infection, COPD, blood sugars out of wack- a multitude of things can cause it. Certain medications in seniors can cause it as well.
I would check with her doc to see what is going on medically.
The confusion will clear in time after the medical issue is resolved.
Hope this is helpful

#6 Suzanne123

Suzanne123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thank you so much! She does have an urinary tract infection. I sure hope that that is all it is!

#7 Suzanne123

Suzanne123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hi Suzanne,

Welcome to the forum. I am a PWP with cognitive deficits, but so far no dementia. I feel sad that you are seeing such a drastic, sudden change in you mom. The only suggestion I have is to ask Dr. Okun on the "Ask the Doctor" part of the foum, if you haven't already. He is a wonderful resouce! I wish he lived next door so I could run over and ask him any question I have at any time. He is in FL and I am in WA, so that can't happenPosted Image. The Forum is the next best thing.

I hope you find the answers that you are looking for, and the support we've come to cherish in this forum. Write any time!Posted Image

#8 Suzanne123

Suzanne123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thank you so much Dianne! I am so sorry you are experiencing Parkinson's first hand. I did ask the doctor but thank you for the suggestion since I am new to all this. I wish the best for you!

#9 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

Thank you so much Dianne! I am so sorry you are experiencing Parkinson's first hand. I did ask the doctor but thank you for the suggestion since I am new to all this. I wish the best for you!

Thank you for such a sweet response! Keep coming back!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users