• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Darker

Darker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Does any one take Pramipexole (generic Mirapex) instead of the brand name version of Mirapex?
I feel that the generic one is much weaker compared with the brand name one, and my
constipation problem is getting worse ever since the switch from brand to generic.
Another question: Can I take Pramipexole (0.25mg x3) and Sinemet (250mg x3) together or it's
better to take them seperately? I heard someone taking Mirapex during evening hours only to
avoid balance issues. Any ideas?

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Darker,
I have copied your question so we can handle 1 question at a time.

Does any one take Pramipexole (generic Mirapex) instead of the brand name version of Mirapex?
I feel that the generic one is much weaker compared with the brand name one, and my
constipation problem is getting worse ever since the switch from brand to generic.
REPLY: a generic must have the same amount of ACTIVE ingredient as the brand name, but everything else is up for grabs. The reason it may seem weaker could be 3 different reasons. 1- the filler used by the generic company may be different. Fillers are added to the active ingredient to make it into a tablet and to also help the medication get where it needs to in the intestine to be broken down and absorbed. I usually use the analogy that fillers are like the flour used when you make cookies. 2- the binder used by the generic company may be different. Binders are used to hold everything together. It is like the water or oil added to the cookie mix tohold all the ingredients together so you can make the cookie. 3- how hard the tablet is pressed can delay or speed up the break down and absorbtion process. If it is pressed harder than the brand name, it will take longer to break down and absorb vausing delayed symptom relief. If it is not pressed hard enough, it will break quicker, absorb quicker, and may work faster than the brand name. This is comparable to "hand pressing or hand balling" the cookies. The harder you press it, the longer it will take to bake. If very little pressure is used to "hand press" the cookies, the cookies will bake faster. Look, you got a medication lesson and baking lesson all in one. Now that's servive:)
Another question: Can I take Pramipexole (0.25mg x3) and Sinemet (250mg x3) together or it's
better to take them seperately? I heard someone taking Mirapex during evening hours only to
REPLY: the answer to this is based on the individual. I usually see patients stagger the Mirapex and Sinemet to get greater relief of symptoms throughout the day. The onle time I have seen them used at the same time is to get the "quicker" relief of symptoms while waiting for the mirapex to "kick in." The only timing I will usually recommend for everyone is that if they do take sinemet and another PD med is to take the quick acting sinemet in the morning. This way you basically "jump start" your symptom relief which allows you to function quicker in the morning.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

My mom's pharmacist switched her to generic Mirapex without our knowledge so I noticed a difference in the first few days and didn't know what was happening until I looked at the bottle and saw that it was generic. My mom was falling all over the place as a result. I now have to remember to have her doctor indicate name brand only on prescriptions.

Taking Mirapex with Sinemet is a must for my mom to have it last longer in her system. Although my mom is taking Stalevo with Mirapex and Sinemet as a booster dose in the middle of the night. Just one person's experience. Thank you.

#4 Darker

Darker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Mark,

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I do have some other questions that I'd like to ask you under a different top[c.

#5 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the info. This is such a great community because it is truly "United we Stand." We are all here to help.

My mom's pharmacist switched her to generic Mirapex without our knowledge so I noticed a difference in the first few days and didn't know what was happening until I looked at the bottle and saw that it was generic. My mom was falling all over the place as a result. I now have to remember to have her doctor indicate name brand only on prescriptions.

Taking Mirapex with Sinemet is a must for my mom to have it last longer in her system. Although my mom is taking Stalevo with Mirapex and Sinemet as a booster dose in the middle of the night. Just one person's experience. Thank you.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#6 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Darker,
Go ahead and post it as a "new topic" and I will be more than happy to help.
Thanks again.

Mark,

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I do have some other questions that I'd like to ask you under a different top[c.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#7 howietx

howietx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

My mail pharmacy switched my Doctors prescription to the generic pramiipexole from Mirapex. It really did not work well and after many calls to pharmacy and with my doctors help got back on Mirapex and tremor back under control.

#8 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Many times insurances have their own list of mesications that are covered. It does take some persistance to get the med that has worked for you. I am glad it got resolved.

My mail pharmacy switched my Doctors prescription to the generic pramiipexole from Mirapex. It really did not work well and after many calls to pharmacy and with my doctors help got back on Mirapex and tremor back under control.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#9 tooshort

tooshort

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

Thanks but I found my answer as I was "stumbling" thru your site. I LOVE this Parkinsons foundation site I found. So informative and questions answered.I have parkinsons and have many questions as the Drs. couldn't decide if it was essential tremor or parkinsons. My mother has had essential tremor for 20 years.I was still shaking with the pramiipexole so they put me on senimet but now I'm wondering if I took the Mirapex, not generic, maybe I don't need the senimet yet. I'll ask my DR.I also have RLS real bad the last couple days of being off pramiipexole.

#10 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Some Drs are using sinemet in earlier onset patients. Now since yo have RLS also, a good alternative may be requip. Some people have better success with requip handling both rls and pd. That is a choice you would have to talk over with your Dr.
The sinemet will do very little if anything for the RLS.
Hope that helps
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users