• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lemondrop

lemondrop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

My husband, having been diagnosed 4 yrs ago with PD and about to turn 82 is having difficulty finding comfort in bed. He usually starts the nite in bed but ends up leaving for a more comfortable reclining chair. Also he cannot stand to have his fee entirely covered especially the right one (which is the side where tremors are prominent. I feel like the story of the 3 bears trying to find something he can sleep the night thru on. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

#2 carruthers209

carruthers209

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationStockton, CA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

My husband, having been diagnosed 4 yrs ago with PD and about to turn 82 is having difficulty finding comfort in bed. He usually starts the nite in bed but ends up leaving for a more comfortable reclining chair. Also he cannot stand to have his fee entirely covered especially the right one (which is the side where tremors are prominent. I feel like the story of the 3 bears trying to find something he can sleep the night thru on. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Well I was hoping someone who was more knowledgeable than I would respond-so I'll just give you my 2 cents worth. I've noticed that as we get older our need for comfort seems to rise. Probably our skin is thinning and we are more sensitive. Your stated your husband is 82. I purchased those nifty mattress toppers from Costco for our beds because we can no long sleep on just regular mattresses-the mattress toppers are heavenly and it is very important for Parkinson's patients to have a comfortable bed because sleeping can be difficult anyway. They seem to run about $150 or so but I haven't had to buy a new mattress in 15 years. I've also read that sometimes bedding can be constricting and one reader recommended satin bedsheets to ease movement but I think I also read that another reader wrote that they were sliding out of bed so I guess it's an individual preference. Good luck with finding something to make your husband more comfortable.

#3 Sam55

Sam55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalais, Maine

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

Hi Lemondrop,
You might check at a Health Equipment Supply store, as you could probably buy a metal-like item that will keep the bed sheets off the bottom of the bed. This product fits under the mattress & holds the sheets ( & other bedding) up off the body.
Hope this is healpful.

#4 lemondrop

lemondrop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

Well I was hoping someone who was more knowledgeable than I would respond-so I'll just give you my 2 cents worth. I've noticed that as we get older our need for comfort seems to rise. Probably our skin is thinning and we are more sensitive. Your stated your husband is 82. I purchased those nifty mattress toppers from Costco for our beds because we can no long sleep on just regular mattresses-the mattress toppers are heavenly and it is very important for Parkinson's patients to have a comfortable bed because sleeping can be difficult anyway. They seem to run about $150 or so but I haven't had to buy a new mattress in 15 years. I've also read that sometimes bedding can be constricting and one reader recommended satin bedsheets to ease movement but I think I also read that another reader wrote that they were sliding out of bed so I guess it's an individual preference. Good luck with finding something to make your husband more comfortable.

Was the mattress pad like those that mold to ur body or one of those pads that looks like an egg crate? Thanks before I forget for ur suggestion

#5 carruthers209

carruthers209

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationStockton, CA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Was the mattress pad like those that mold to ur body or one of those pads that looks like an egg crate? Thanks before I forget for ur suggestion

The mattress pads are flat and mold to your body. They make for an amazingly comfortable sleep. When we stay in hotel rooms we really miss our soft, comfy bed!! The mattress toppers are also available on-line from Costco so you don't even need to go to the store and haul it home. You might also look at "microfiber" bedsheets. They're polyester and have a very soft "hand" (feel) to them plus they're very reasonably priced. Costco also carries those-I know-but I love their stuff. It saves me a lot of shopping research and wasted purchases. Anything you're not happy with at Costco can be returned with no hassle.

#6 Refined

Refined

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm a new CG to NPF forum and I've very glad to have found it, as I think we can all benefit by sharing solutions we've found! What we've used for years, tho' my DH was 'only' diagnosed five years ago, is a dual-control heated blanket, as well as same type of heated mattress pad! DH gets cold easily, which stiffens him up badly; but gets warm quickly. We pre-heat the bed about two hours before we go to bed, putting both controls on 'High', then PH (Pre-Heat, a function in both controls). When we go to bed (at separate times), we turn our controls down to the settings we prefer--DH lower than my settings. I think our use of heated blanket and mattress pad helps him sleep at night and perhaps could help you too. Wishing you success in finding a way to sleep more comfortably--God bless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users