6 replies to this topic

#1 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Does anyone have suggestions on the right way to get someone up from a chair or bed or toilet or just basically up from a seated or laying down position. My wrists are on fire from constant pulling of my mom from holding her hands and pulling her up. Is there another way? I've tried gait belts and they are useless to me.

#2 Sam55

Sam55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalais, Maine

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

Does anyone have suggestions on the right way to get someone up from a chair or bed or toilet or just basically up from a seated or laying down position. My wrists are on fire from constant pulling of my mom from holding her hands and pulling her up. Is there another way? I've tried gait belts and they are useless to me.

Proper "Body Mechanics"- try googling it- it will be explained in detail; as- if you stand near with your legs apart, as close as possible to her,(to give good wide base of your feet for balance),bend your knees, pivot,& turn- you will not strain your own body. Take hold under her arms with your arms locked behind & pivot to the bed or toilet. Pulling on her will hurt both of you.
Hope this is helpful.

#3 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

If you can find info about good body mechanics for lifting and positioning a PWP from a book or website, you will be well on your way to relief for both the patient as well as the rest of us who are dealing with PD. Remember we can all learn from as well as teach each other if we each share with each other nedwhat we have learned already. I was lucky enough be trained as a nurses aid when I was young (quite some time ago now)! As a PWP, I still have the abiliy to pass that info on to my caregivers and support team members currentlly teading ott

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#4 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sam is on target. This is helpful too.

http://centralflorid...t-or-loved-one/
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#5 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and links. Seems I've been pulling my mom's arms so much that I may have dislocated one of her shoulder blades because her collar bone seems crooked but she's never complained of any pain. I guess the lower back pain is going to be there. I use a back brace as much as I can such as when I bathe her from the bathtub but I have scoliosis that has gotten much worse since doing care giving duties so the brace isn't exacting support both sides of my back since I'm swayed one side and have uneven distribution of back muscles.

It's just tougher when the patient has dementia. Other people with their faculty intact will at least try and help you help them. With my mom everything is a battle. Getting her into the tub takes longer than the bathing and getting her dressed or undressed is a constant struggle as well. This leads to lifting her. Sometimes she refuses to get up so I'm basically lifting dead weight. I keep telling myself it will get better but does it?

#6 tedybrs

tedybrs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Virginia

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

:!:

I had a physical therapist show me how to lift my husband. Our neurologist set me up with a physical therapist and it was a great help. I lift under my husbands arms with my upper arms. Are you part of a caregivers group? Maybe through a local house of worship. Sure hope this helps. Also try the Parkinson's Foundation or the Michael J Fox Foundation may have resources in your area. Google them get a phone number, maybe they can help. I know how you feel, It Stinks! ;)

#7 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

What about lifting someone off the floor? My mom slips down the couch all the time from falling asleep and slowly sliding down. She does not know how to raise her knees or turn to her side to get to a position where she can get on her knees and help me out. What else can I do? I just pull and pull and slide her to somewhere there is an edge for her to lean on but that's only when she figures out what I'm trying to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users