4 replies to this topic

#1 Refined

Refined

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Hi Everyone!
Sure had a bad afternoon with DH who has PD. He had been getting lost in hallucinations for a few weeks and neurologist had me wean him off Sinemet, which we did successfully. It seemed DH was getting quite a bit more 'with it'. He gets tired in the afternoon; but because of our schedule in the a.m. today and running out for lunch, I didn't have time to return him home, before I had a scheduled CT scan of my sinuses. We parked, walked over to medical building, got registered, and both used restrooms before my CT. My CT took very little time and I awaited the film for a few minutes. When I got back to waiting room and got my hubby near-snoozing there, he informed me he hoped we were going right home as he was 'having an urge' (bowel movement). As we walked to the elevator, he said take me to the restroom now, which we did, since it was right there. It took him a long time in the men's room and I waited patiently. I grew concerned, so knocked on the door, opened it slightly (and timidly!), and asked him how he was doing. He said he was going (which I knew or at least hoped!). Waited some more, then he emerged. I said come on let's go; and then happened to look down at his feet, for whatever reason. There on the sole of his right shoe were some smears of his bowel movement! I was shocked, horrified, and mortified; but just told him that we were getting out of there right now! Fortunately, no one was in the elevator as we went down and I got him out of the building with no complications.

Still in a state of shock and horror, I asked him *why* did he have poop on his shoe; and without losing a beat (like he knew cognitively) he said it 'just came out'. I asked *why* weren't you sitting on a seat? He said there wasn't one--which I knew was patently wrong, having seen stalls when I opened the men's room door to see how he was doing. I had him wipe the shoe on a dried grassy area (Winter dormant), which did little to help. When we got back to our car, I had him remove his shoes and put them in a plastic bag I had in the cargo area from a purchase earlier in the day (contents of which I emptied). When we got home, I whisked him into the master bath, had him remove all his clothes (which were not dirty as it turned out), took them to the washer, had him take a shower, and put the clothes through a wash cycle as a precaution. The rest of the afternoon and evening were a complete loss--he saw mild hallucinations; got somewhat combative about me being unfaithful, which is a total joke, since I spend so much of my hours, days, weeks caring for him; and became 'defeated', head and shoulders down, staring off into space, etc.

Since he gets tired in the afternoons and usually naps if we're at home, I now feel that I can't safely take him with me for afternoon appointments I have, nor should I allow any appointments for him in the afternoon--and I wonder about taking him out for even informal restaurant dinners. His PD has gotten so far worse in the last year; and I wonder what his stage is, which we haven't been given and which I'll make sure his MD tells us! I see a once-strong, once-proud, once-dignified man declining into dysfunction, despair, and hopelessness--and taking baseless and unfair verbal swings at me, when all I'm doing it giving him *all* I am and *all* I have to care for him! This PD is *unspeakably* CRUEL!

Anyone else have experience with incontinence like this? Thanks so much, Good CGs--we must stick together! God bless!

#2 janl62

janl62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hi Everyone!
Sure had a bad afternoon with DH who has PD. He had been getting lost in hallucinations for a few weeks and neurologist had me wean him off Sinemet, which we did successfully. It seemed DH was getting quite a bit more 'with it'. He gets tired in the afternoon; but because of our schedule in the a.m. today and running out for lunch, I didn't have time to return him home, before I had a scheduled CT scan of my sinuses. We parked, walked over to medical building, got registered, and both used restrooms before my CT. My CT took very little time and I awaited the film for a few minutes. When I got back to waiting room and got my hubby near-snoozing there, he informed me he hoped we were going right home as he was 'having an urge' (bowel movement). As we walked to the elevator, he said take me to the restroom now, which we did, since it was right there. It took him a long time in the men's room and I waited patiently. I grew concerned, so knocked on the door, opened it slightly (and timidly!), and asked him how he was doing. He said he was going (which I knew or at least hoped!). Waited some more, then he emerged. I said come on let's go; and then happened to look down at his feet, for whatever reason. There on the sole of his right shoe were some smears of his bowel movement! I was shocked, horrified, and mortified; but just told him that we were getting out of there right now! Fortunately, no one was in the elevator as we went down and I got him out of the building with no complications.

Still in a state of shock and horror, I asked him *why* did he have poop on his shoe; and without losing a beat (like he knew cognitively) he said it 'just came out'. I asked *why* weren't you sitting on a seat? He said there wasn't one--which I knew was patently wrong, having seen stalls when I opened the men's room door to see how he was doing. I had him wipe the shoe on a dried grassy area (Winter dormant), which did little to help. When we got back to our car, I had him remove his shoes and put them in a plastic bag I had in the cargo area from a purchase earlier in the day (contents of which I emptied). When we got home, I whisked him into the master bath, had him remove all his clothes (which were not dirty as it turned out), took them to the washer, had him take a shower, and put the clothes through a wash cycle as a precaution. The rest of the afternoon and evening were a complete loss--he saw mild hallucinations; got somewhat combative about me being unfaithful, which is a total joke, since I spend so much of my hours, days, weeks caring for him; and became 'defeated', head and shoulders down, staring off into space, etc.

Since he gets tired in the afternoons and usually naps if we're at home, I now feel that I can't safely take him with me for afternoon appointments I have, nor should I allow any appointments for him in the afternoon--and I wonder about taking him out for even informal restaurant dinners. His PD has gotten so far worse in the last year; and I wonder what his stage is, which we haven't been given and which I'll make sure his MD tells us! I see a once-strong, once-proud, once-dignified man declining into dysfunction, despair, and hopelessness--and taking baseless and unfair verbal swings at me, when all I'm doing it giving him *all* I am and *all* I have to care for him! This PD is *unspeakably* CRUEL!

Anyone else have experience with incontinence like this? Thanks so much, Good CGs--we must stick together! God bless!

#3 janl62

janl62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

h i am just starting to post on this site. my hubby has been delussional an having hallicinations also since july. he is on semet too. it has got worse since july. he always takes seraquel 2x twice a day. he was on another meds but was taken off . the dr throught it might have caused the hallicinations. i feel so bad about all of this. he was diagonsis dev 09. the dr cant seem to get the right meds for him. he believes i am giving his clothes an shaver to other men. he accures me of having men hiding in the attic wheic,we dont have. this is so hard on me an i know it is on him too. i feel terrable,we are going to see his dr feb 17 an i will mention the semet. . i was so glad to see your post. janice

#4 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Refined, you might want to consider buying "Depends" and have him wear a pair when going out. You can get pull-up ones or ones that fasten on the sides. I wish everyplace had a handicap restroom ( a single use restroom that is in a large room) which would enable a person to assist the disabled person.
<3.<3.<3.

#5 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

My new mantra:

I am a member of the Depends generation.

PD has got me where I am.

People still treat me with love and veneration.

Mine are peach. Yours can be tan. (or gray or blue, or other fashion colors.)

I am 59. Symptoms started early 1990's (age 39). Diagnosed November, 2010. I didn't expect this to happen to me at such a young age, but then the possibility of PD never entered my head! My MDS is sending me to the Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation clinic as soon as my broken arm from a recent PD fall is healed. Ain't life grand? I figure you might as well laugh about it. Crying just gives me headaches! Posted Image

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users