4 replies to this topic

#1 mb26645

mb26645

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hi Folks,

Last Friday I was driving with my wife. As I approached a red light, my automatic reaction was to take foot off gas, then put foot on break pedal. Sounds simple? Well it got a little complicated. As I approached the light, I noticed the car did not want to stop, so as I got closer to the light, I noticed the car's engine revving higher and higher. My first reaction was to press harder on the break pedal. I eventually came to a stop, all the while the cars engine was revving between 5000 & 6000 RPM. I threw the car in neutral. When I finally stopped panic'ing, I took my foot away from the break pedal, that's when everything went back to normal - with the car that is.

I came to the realization that my foot was on the gas and the break pedal at the same time!. This has never happened before and I have been driving for 33 years (I am 49) and because I am primarily affected on my right side, arm and leg, I was wondering could this be an episode of freezing?

My wife thinks there was something with the floor mat of the car, but I looked, there was nothing obstructing the gas pedal.

Is it possible that in moving my foot from the gas to the break, somehow the brain message did not get delivered properly? At the time I had just taken my meds, but it's not like I was completely off,

-mb

#2 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Many years ago we had a Ford minivan that had an accelerator that got stuck and revved while I drove. It wasn't the pedal. My DH insisted it was me until one day it happened to him. Later we discovered Ford had a recall for it. It was the electronic ignition. You might want to check if your car has a recall. Or you could have been pressing on both pedals. That is common.

I stopped driving.

P.S. My DH said that our electronic ignition was an early version and it doesn't happen today. When Toyota had that problem they found it wasn't the ignition sticking but something else. He thinks it was the carpet getting in the way.

Edited by MarciaJ, 14 February 2012 - 07:46 PM.

<3.<3.<3.

#3 rws2266

rws2266

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMontrose, CO

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

I haven't had any physical issues while driving yet, but twice now I have been driving and suddenly completely forgotten where I was. I could remember where I was going, but nothing looked familiar and I had no idea where I was or how to get to my destination. It only lasted about 30 seconds both times, but it scared the hell out of me.

Rob

#4 Mihai

Mihai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hi mb...

I had a very similar situation (I hit a building!), which I still can't fully explain. The whole process I went through sounds very similar to what you describe in your post! I hear you...

Mihai
Diagnosed in 2001 at 33 years of age

#5 Meduffer

Meduffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I knew I was a good, careful driver... a while ago. Now, most days, not so much. Sweeping wide turns that cross over the center line, the occasional scuff on the curb, late braking, lower speeds and generally solid indications of me being a crappy driver. A while ago, a 20 ton fire truck gliding through heavy city traffic, now I toss the keys to my wife / daughter / son and gratefully crawl into the passenger seat. Times are a change'n but I ain't done yet! That said, I am adjusting to these new "bumps in the road" and where I can, I'm keeping my drives local. Depends on the day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users