12 replies to this topic

#1 annfisher43

annfisher43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

i was dx about 3 and half years ago, my question is anxiety. I have always have had some problems with anxiety, but now it is like i am crawling all over. asked the nureo and she sent me back to the family doc and that is what was decided. wanted to know if anyone else has had any anxiety like this? and what you do for it. Thanks!!

#2 Tango

Tango

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSorrento, BC, Canada

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

i was dx about 3 and half years ago, my question is anxiety. I have always have had some problems with anxiety, but now it is like i am crawling all over. asked the nureo and she sent me back to the family doc and that is what was decided. wanted to know if anyone else has had any anxiety like this? and what you do for it. Thanks!!

#3 Tango

Tango

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSorrento, BC, Canada

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Good evening: Just 2 weeks ago, after an appointment with my Shrink, she wanted me to boost my prescrition for Citalopram (celexa)to 30mg. (20mg. @am. & 10mg @noon.) Clonazapam. (.5mg. am & .5mg. @noon.) This is double the previous prescription over the last three months. I also had my first and hopefully the last full blown "Panic" attack. Ended up in the emergency dept. at the local hospital. I was covinced I was having a Heart Attack. Sorry you had similar feelings. There are so many different side effects. The more PDers to talk to, the more info you share.
I took a crash from "freezing" in the waiting lobby of my GP. Was I ever embarased,
frustrated and mad. (DX 1 year ago) and get plenty surprises. Sure hope all is well with your Anxiety. Good Luck & stay in touch.

Jim.

#4 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

I get a strange combination of lethargy and anxiety and sometimes it can be very uncomfortable. I've taken a wide variety of anti-depression/anti-anxiety meds but none were really effective. Thank god for medical marijuana, it even helps social anxiety, like when you are shaking self-consciously in public.

#5 annfisher43

annfisher43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

thanks for the advice i will bring it up when i see the doc next week. i am trying klonopin which seems to be helping some, i think it just needs tweeked.

#6 sam46

sam46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

#7 sam46

sam46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Ann,
I was diagnosed with PD last month and like you, I have always been a bit high strung and anxious. The PD heightens the degree of anxiety. Little decisions that wouldn't generate anxiety now cause mild anxiety, which cause worsening of the tremors. Decisions and issues that were high stress really generate a lot of anxiety and really cause the tremors to be bad. Like you, my neurologist suggested a psychiatrist, but the anxiety is a result of the PD, not some underlying problem, or one that needs a psychiatrist. I find two thing that have helped but that require a lot of self control: a glass or two of wine relaxes me which reduces the anxiety, which reduces the tremors, and a tranquilizer. I use 2 mg of ativan which I cut in half, and only rely on it 3-4x per week to avoid dependence and building up a tolerance. My neurologist prescribed the ativan and agrees, if used with care, can be helpful. I have yet to be put on any medication for the PD. Most doctors are "gun shy" in prescribing benzodiazapines, but in my view these appropriately are drugs for anxiety, and can, should be prescribe for this symptom. The doctor can monitor easily whether you're taking too many.

sam

#8 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

I have experienced anxiety quite frequently and my neurologist prescribed Xanax. However, I would " crash" when it wore off. I wound up in the hospital for 3 days due to stress and anxiety. My family doctor prescribed Klonipin. It worked somewhat. However, I'm on a leave of absence from work and the anxiety and panic attacks have decreased.

It's an awful feeling - like you want to run through the house screaming but don't know why. I previously went to occupational therapy and when I feel the anxiety coming along, I do the breathing exercizes I learned there and believe it or not, they work.

You've come to the right place. Good people here and lots to share.

#9 carol42

carol42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

I also take clonazepam for neck pain and anxiety,dont help with tremor tho mine is ET tremor.......

#10 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

I tried Ativan a few times for sleep and it put me to sleep, but I was having no trouble going to sleep, it was sleeping for more than 3 or 4 hours that was the problem and ativan didn't help that. Also, the next day after taking it I felt dopey and couldn't remember ANYTHING of what I done the night before after taking it. It was like I lost part of my memory.

#11 carol42

carol42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

Yeah Lethe them benzos will do that on ya make ya dopey and forgetfull and if your on them for a while the can cause cognitive problems which is usually permnant,im on this clonazepam nearly 2 yrs now so my brain is fooked i think....i think.... :mrgreen:

#12 debiant

debiant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

I've taken Kolonpin, and I think it's probably the best for my situation though my dad's experience (he also has Young Onset) and my girlfriends dad's experience (who also has Young Onset) is that proper adjustment of Parkinson's medication seems to help the anxiety a lot more than anxiety medication itself. This has definitely been my experience, as I started on Mirapex a month ago, and feel like a champ now, and do not take the Kolonopin very often anymore. I'm only 30, and still early in my progression.

#13 annfisher43

annfisher43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

thanks for all the support. i have alittle more blood work, to rule other things out from my family doc. i have an appoitment coming soon with him and one with the neurologist in may so i should have more answers and less questions. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users