• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lightwriter1949

Lightwriter1949

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

My wife was prescribed the exelon patch as of today. I need other s thoughts on the med.

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

I will toss in my 2 cents first.
There are 2 main reasons i like the exelon patch:
1- it is a patch so compliance is much better than taking the capsules. Put it on once daily and a constant dose of medicqtion is released into the system. Where as capsule you may get highs and lows due to the fact of missing doses or not taking them on time.
2- exelon was specifically made to be used for memory loss or dementia related to PD. there is no other medication that has that specific indication.
Overall, i have seen great success with the patch, i think mainly because it is a steady dose going into the system at all times.
Ok, so i gave 5 cents worth, just keep the change.

My wife was prescribed the exelon patch as of today. I need other s thoughts on the med.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

I wish it worked on my mom. First of all she kept taking it off in various places I put on her body that I thought she couldn't reach. Then it started to interfere with her PD meds and she was shaking lots. She then tried Aricept and that gave her nightmares so the only safe drug she can take is Namenda.

I do wish all medications can be patches. I'm sure if they make them for her other drugs I would keep trying to find a place on her body that she will never reach.

#4 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I guess that is why they say "There is no pergect drug." with all meds there are side efffects and individual reactions or interactions with some and not others.
Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

I wish it worked on my mom. First of all she kept taking it off in various places I put on her body that I thought she couldn't reach. Then it started to interfere with her PD meds and she was shaking lots. She then tried Aricept and that gave her nightmares so the only safe drug she can take is Namenda.

I do wish all medications can be patches. I'm sure if they make them for her other drugs I would keep trying to find a place on her body that she will never reach.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users