11 replies to this topic

#1 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

"Some Parkinson's Disease patients can suddenly become creative when they take dopamine therapy, producing pictures, sculptures, novels and poetry. But their new-found interests can become so overwhelming that they ignore other aspects of their everyday life, such as daily chores and social activities, according to research published in the March issue of the European Journal of Neurology."

Read more: http://www.medicalne...ases/242120.php

I AM ON MIRAPEX AND HAVE EXPERIENCED SOME OF THESE SAME SIDE EFFECTS.
DANCER

#2 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

"Some Parkinson's Disease patients can suddenly become creative when they take dopamine therapy, producing pictures, sculptures, novels and poetry. But their new-found interests can become so overwhelming that they ignore other aspects of their everyday life, such as daily chores and social activities, according to research published in the March issue of the European Journal of Neurology."

Read more: http://www.medicalne...ases/242120.php

I AM ON MIRAPEX AND HAVE EXPERIENCED SOME OF THESE SAME SIDE EFFECTS.
DANCER

Mirapex also drives compulsive behaviors.

R.

#3 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Mirapex also drives compulsive behaviors.

R.

#4 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I KNOW...ALSO HAS CAUSED LACK OF NIGHTTIME SLEEP AND DAYTIME SLEEPINESS

#5 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

The thought occurs to me that perhaps creativity is being confused (or rolled up) with a lowering of inhibitions resulting in surrender to compulsions.

Edited by Rogerstar1, 05 March 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#6 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

I think Roger is correct. Creativity is often drug induced... Jimi is an example:

Mirapex helps me a lot, but I refuse to increase the dose... I do not want to be any more creative.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#7 vipowitz

vipowitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

did you do a lot of drugs when you were young, L?

#8 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Vipowitz -

If you're asking me, I took no drugs in my youth or previous healthy existence but certainly take a lot of prescription medications now. I also think medical use of marijuana should be available to those for whom it diminishes suffering.

My post in this thread stated: "The thought occurs to me that perhaps creativity is being confused (or rolled up) with a lowering of inhibitions resulting in surrender to compulsions."

It was poorly phrased, subject to misinterpretation and I discover, the victim of my cursory reading of Dancers Medical News Today study. Illegal drugs weren't even mentioned there, of couse, and I hadn't thought a wit about them when I used the figure of speech 'rolled up with'. What I meant in my admittedly shallow grasp of the issue was that creativity, compulsion and loss of inhibition may be conflated correctly or incorrectly. Scientific researchers, preliminary though their findings are, appear to believe otherwise: "In conclusion, [they state] we found that newly acquired creative drive in patients with Parkinson's Disease, after the introduction of dopaminergic therapy, is not related to impulsivity or impulse control disorders as measured by the Barratt Impulsivity Scale or the Minnesota Impulsive Disorders Interview" says Dr Canesi.

"We believe that their desire to be creative could represent emerging innate skills, possibly linked to repetitive and reward-seeking behaviours. Further studies are needed to support our preliminary observations." http://www.medicalne...ases/242120.php

A good thing!

To sleep....perchance to dream,

Roger

#9 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Vipowitz -

If you're asking me, I took no drugs in my youth or previous healthy existence but certainly take a lot of prescription medications now. I also think medical use of marijuana should be available to those for whom it diminishes suffering.

My post in this thread stated: "The thought occurs to me that perhaps creativity is being confused (or rolled up) with a lowering of inhibitions resulting in surrender to compulsions."

It was poorly phrased, subject to misinterpretation and I discover, the victim of my cursory reading of Dancers Medical News Today study. Illegal drugs weren't even mentioned there, of couse, and I hadn't thought a wit about them when I used the figure of speech 'rolled up with'. What I meant in my admittedly shallow grasp of the issue was that creativity, compulsion and loss of inhibition may be conflated correctly or incorrectly. Scientific researchers, preliminary though their findings are, appear to believe otherwise: "In conclusion, [they state] we found that newly acquired creative drive in patients with Parkinson's Disease, after the introduction of dopaminergic therapy, is not related to impulsivity or impulse control disorders as measured by the Barratt Impulsivity Scale or the Minnesota Impulsive Disorders Interview" says Dr Canesi.

"We believe that their desire to be creative could represent emerging innate skills, possibly linked to repetitive and reward-seeking behaviours. Further studies are needed to support our preliminary observations." http://www.medicalne...ases/242120.php

A good thing!

To sleep....perchance to dream,

Roger

#10 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

ROGER,
I AM ALWAYS DREAMING..EVEN WHEN I AM NOT SLEEPING. HOPE WE ALL KEEP OUR DREAMS.
TOO BAD SHAKESPEARE ISN'T ON THE FORUM TO WEIGH IN.
SLEEP WELL,
DANCER

#11 roy g

roy g

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

Further study.

My experience with Requip indicates Roger's original warning to be valid. And should be taken very seriously.

Benefits versus side effects. "therein lies the rub"

.roy g

#12 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

I did not. But Jimi H. did and die of over dose. I personally think his drug use impacted his guitar playing... one of the greatest of all time to date.
Drugs do many things to our minds... for good and bad.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users