1 reply to this topic

#1 JuggernautTCW

JuggernautTCW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

This question is from my mom with PD for the last 10 years.

Is there a place where we can find some comparison between Mirapex and Requip? Is one more effective than the other? How about side effects?

My mom also read in newspaper that the high blood pressure medicine Isradipine can potentially cure/ help reduce Parkinsons symptoms. Has this been proven? Has it been tried?

Thanks in advance!

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

The best place to compare meds is a site called Drugs.com. You can type in "mirapex" and go to side effects and it will break them down to different parts of the body systems (GI, mental, cardiovascular, etc) and also give you the percents of possible side effects.
One thing you need to remember is that everyone can react to different medications differently. The info that is stated about the med comes right from the manufacturer. I have seen people have reactions to mirapex but not to requip. Even though they are in the same class. Side effects and reactions are individually based.
As far as the isradipine, there are ongoing studies and even though nothing has been proven 100%, some Dr's are trying it on their patients. Many of the studies are trying to see if the isradipine is tolerated in the system. There are studies proceeding right now, nothing has been finalized yet for the use in PD patients.

This question is from my mom with PD for the last 10 years.

Is there a place where we can find some comparison between Mirapex and Requip? Is one more effective than the other? How about side effects?

My mom also read in newspaper that the high blood pressure medicine Isradipine can potentially cure/ help reduce Parkinsons symptoms. Has this been proven? Has it been tried?

Thanks in advance!

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users