• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 summergrace22

summergrace22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

My mom was diagnosed with PD 3 years ago. Her symptoms started when she retired and tremors began on my wedding day. She seems to have extreme symptoms: fatigue, off-balanced, and heavy are the most common. Her symptoms are always worse in the mornings, then better in the evening. She said her head feels like its a balloon and pulling to the side, but hard for her to explain. She feels very "heavy" and weighted. Her muscles are very tense. When we talk to the doctor, he says to exercise, but somedays she can't push herself bc the symptoms are so extreme. Is this normal? We've tried adjusting the meds so that she has more in her system in the mornings, but no difference. Sometimes she is so fatigued that she is nautious. It just seems there are others who have less of these symptoms and she is not having a very good quality of life. The doctor hasn't increased her meds b/c he said she is walking great, which is encouraging but still frustrating. Is there anything we should try?

Michelle D

#2 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

My mom was diagnosed with PD 3 years ago. Her symptoms started when she retired and tremors began on my wedding day. She seems to have extreme symptoms: fatigue, off-balanced, and heavy are the most common. Her symptoms are always worse in the mornings, then better in the evening. She said her head feels like its a balloon and pulling to the side, but hard for her to explain. She feels very "heavy" and weighted. Her muscles are very tense. When we talk to the doctor, he says to exercise, but somedays she can't push herself bc the symptoms are so extreme. Is this normal? We've tried adjusting the meds so that she has more in her system in the mornings, but no difference. Sometimes she is so fatigued that she is nautious. It just seems there are others who have less of these symptoms and she is not having a very good quality of life. The doctor hasn't increased her meds b/c he said she is walking great, which is encouraging but still frustrating. Is there anything we should try?

Michelle D

Hi Michelle - Her symptoms sound quite normal to me. One thing you might try is taking meds well before meals, and particularly when proteins are consumed. Food does interfere with medication uptake. Good luck!

R.

#3 rws2266

rws2266

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMontrose, CO

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Sounds alot like my own symptoms also. As far as exercise, I've joined a chair yoga class. We sit in a chair or use it for balance while doing yoga stretches and breathing techniques, it has really helped with my muscle stiffness. Also try the Vibram FiveFinger shoes, they have done wonders for my balance. As far as the heavy feeling, that seems to be more related to stress than anything else for me. Stress is an amplifier of most symptoms. Good luck.
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users