#1 downward dog

downward dog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh area

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hello,

I wrote to the "Ask the Doctor" forum about having some difficulty urinating normally since I began amantadine. Dr Okun suggested I get some amantadine syrup and try a 50 mg dose (instead of the 100 mg you get with the capsules). I thought that was a good idea, but wondered (since I have a LOT of 100 mg capsules) if I could achieve the same end by dissolving a 100 mg capsule in water and then having half of it 2 consecutive days. Dr Okun then suggested I write to you to get your opinion on whether this would be safe.

I do recognize there are times when dissolving a capsule this way would NOT be appropriate, such as timed-release meds. But in this case the idea seems reasonable. Your opinion? Thanks!

Another question: What are the chances if I just continue with the 100's that my body will adjust and the urinary problem will disappear?

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Your best bet is to have the Dr write for the syrup, which comes 50 mg per teaspoonful. The reason I say this is because if you were to open the capsule, the contents are a in a thick liquid form (much like Vitamin E capsules). First, it would be difficult to get all the medication out, let alone try to figure out what 1/2 is. Second, I doubt it would dissolve in anything because of it's oily texture.
You can try to open one and see, but I really think the dose will be hard to define. I would make it easy on myself and go for the syrup. That way, with the liquid, you could also go up, or down, if needed in smaller amounts.

Hello,

I wrote to the "Ask the Doctor" forum about having some difficulty urinating normally since I began amantadine. Dr Okun suggested I get some amantadine syrup and try a 50 mg dose (instead of the 100 mg you get with the capsules). I thought that was a good idea, but wondered (since I have a LOT of 100 mg capsules) if I could achieve the same end by dissolving a 100 mg capsule in water and then having half of it 2 consecutive days. Dr Okun then suggested I write to you to get your opinion on whether this would be safe.

I do recognize there are times when dissolving a capsule this way would NOT be appropriate, such as timed-release meds. But in this case the idea seems reasonable. Your opinion? Thanks!

Another question: What are the chances if I just continue with the 100's that my body will adjust and the urinary problem will disappear?

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

Your best bet is to have the Dr write for the syrup, which comes 50 mg per teaspoonful. The reason I say this is because if you were to open the capsule, the contents are a in a thick liquid form (much like Vitamin E capsules). First, it would be difficult to get all the medication out, let alone try to figure out what 1/2 is. Second, I doubt it would dissolve in anything because of it's oily texture.
You can try to open one and see, but I really think the dose will be hard to define. I would make it easy on myself and go for the syrup. That way, with the liquid, you could also go up, or down, if needed in smaller amounts.
As far as the question of "how long before your body, or if, your body get used to the 100 mg dose. If you have been on it at least 4-6 weeks and it is still happening, your body probably will not get used to it at that dose.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users