• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rottielady

rottielady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I went to my dentist today for cleaning. He brought up the fact that I might want to consider having my 13 fillings (amalgam) removed and having crowns instead. He said it is believed that the amount of mercury in the fillings may possibly be the cause of some diseases. He said he didn't believe it to be the cause of all diseases, but that it could be a contributor to some. In addition to PD, I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, hyperaldosteronism, cardiovascular disease ( with placement of two stents), hypercholesterolemia, chronic gastritis, adrenal adenoma, ADD, hiatal hernia, diverticulosis, hypoglycemia, shingles, a precancerous polyp of the GI tract and passed a kidney stone in January 2010. I have been diagnosed with the PD since spring of 2011. I was placed on Azilect in August 2011 after numerous failed attempts with Mirapex. February 16 2012 I began taking generic sinemet, beginning with 1/2 25/100 x3 up to 1 x3. I take the following meds..aspirin..81 grains/day, synthroid 100 mg/day, aldactone 50 mg/day,Zantac 300 mg x2, vitamin D3 400 IU/day, Azilect 1mg/day, Xanax 0.5 mg x 2, fish oil 1200 mg x 2, coQ10 enzyme 400 mg/day, nitroglycerin as needed, Folgard 1/day, generic lipitor 20 mg/day, generic Sinemet 25/100 mg/day, glycopyrrolate 1 mg x2 and Lexapro 10 mg...1/2 -1/day. Anyway, my dentist is concerned due to the amount of meds I take. Is this something I should be concerned with? Is there the possibility that the amount of mercury in my mouth (over half of my fillings constitute almost the whole tooth and most I've had since I was a teenager...I'm now 65) can be a partial cause of the PD? I never knew I had mercury in my mouth. Seems dentists stressed the silver in the amalgam and never mentioned the mercury. What symptoms does mercury toxicity cause? Thanks for any help you can give me.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

The notion that mercury fillings cause diseases has been widely discredited. I would not worry too much about it. If you are overly concerned you can have your neurologist do a 24 hour urine test for mercury (must be done by a credible institution as there are crazy tests out there).

You may also want to seek a PD expert to optimize those meds! I am not concerned by the amount, but that they are optimized to your symptoms.

Good luck.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users