• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shetawk

shetawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Amantadine, the first med that helped in any way, has given me back 50% of my balance but I still have the other symptoms.

Still cannot work or drive.

Does your medication make you feel "normal" (as before PD)?

I don't know what to expect from meds, normal living or some, not all, symptoms relieved. ST

#2 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Amantadine, the first med that helped in any way, has given me back 50% of my balance but I still have the other symptoms.

Still cannot work or drive.

Does your medication make you feel "normal" (as before PD)?

I don't know what to expect from meds, normal living or some, not all, symptoms relieved. ST

I would say that after diagnosis, complete normal was lost. For many years however an acceptable level of normalcy could be maintained for much of each day. As years pass and there are fewer and fewer dopamine producing cells for the Sinemet to "gin up" you become considerably more aware of how miraculous L-dopa is. Without it, you can't move. When you take a pill and it reaches your brain you can jump out of bed, dress, go outside, climb a ladder and clean the gutters. I did it this morning. Sometimes you can do normal things though you don't feel normal. Roger

#3 Oakman

Oakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Amantadine is the first drug I started taking after diagnosis and is still helping after a year. I would also guess it has been maybe 50% effective in minimizing symptoms. Although I attribute much of the improvement to Amantadine providing better muscle flexibility thereby enabling more exercise. Wish we knew why Amantadine helps PD symptoms better for some than others.

Requip was a disaster and I never noticed any improvement from taking Sinemet (still on it). I had high hopes for Sinemet. Makes me wonder if PD-like symptoms for some folks are virus related.

#4 shetawk

shetawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Makes me wonder if PD-like symptoms for some folks are virus related.

Thank you.
As long as it's called "idiopathic", it can be anything. Edgar Cayce readings say mercury is often involved. I'm getting a hair mineral test this week.

Alternative MD/acupuncturist said I have mercury and lead through muscle testing. Would like confirmation or denial.

Edited by shetawk, 26 March 2012 - 07:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users