Beachdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCape Cod Massachusetts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

http://www.scienceda...20325173008.htm

ScienceDaily (Mar. 25, 2012) — Popcorn's reputation as a snack food that's actually good for health popped up a few notches as scientists recently reported that it contains more of the healthful antioxidant substances called "polyphenols" than fruits and vegetables.

In another surprising finding, the researchers discovered that the hulls of the popcorn -- the part that everyone hates for its tendency to get caught in the teeth -- actually has the highest concentration of polyphenols and fiber.

"Those hulls deserve more respect," said Vinson, who is with the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania. "They are nutritional gold nuggets.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

So pour a lot of butter on those gold nuggets, add a shaker of salt, and pass the bowl my way!!! :mrgreen:

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

You beat me to it. I was going to post that article, adding a quote from a colleague re microwave popcorn:

"Compounds used to line the bags and keep them stable in the heat and popping agitation are known to break down into the carcinogen PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid). One FDA study several years ago estimated that microwave popcorn could account for >20% of the average PFOA levels now measured in the blood of U.S. residents. The FDA found a significant percentage of the chemicals migrate from the bags to the popcorn oil, resulting in levels of 3-4 mg/kg. These concentrations result a person consuming a bag's worth could take up to 110 μg of PFOA."

I fear, alas, that PFOAs may cancel out the polyphenols.

But -- pan-pop, and pour on that butter!
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#3 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

PAN POPPED IS THE BEST !

butter and salt YES
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#4 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Agreed, Luthersfaith, I always pan-pop -- much, much better than microwave, in my opinion.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users