• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 peanutty

peanutty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

My dad is 73 and has been living with PD for 13 years. We noticed the side effects from medicine getting worse, and visited his neurologist, who adjusted the medication. That only made things worse. In the course of one week, he's lost his ability to walk. Even worse, he's become completely delusional - he believes his hallucinations are real, he rambles to his hallucinations, the tremors are practically convulsions. He barely recognizes me, and thought he was in a restaurant instead of the hospital. We ended up admitting him to the hospital because we could not care for him at home. The doctor said it's one of two things: Either he has an infection that has caused this sudden onset of dementia, or he just whipped through the last stages of Parkinson's super fast.. The doctor doubted we'd be able to care for him at home anymore if Option 2 ends up being true. Has anyone else experienced sudden dementia? I want Option A to be true so so badly....I don't want to see him suffer for years in a home.

#2 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

My dad is 73 and has been living with PD for 13 years. We noticed the side effects from medicine getting worse, and visited his neurologist, who adjusted the medication. That only made things worse. In the course of one week, he's lost his ability to walk. Even worse, he's become completely delusional - he believes his hallucinations are real, he rambles to his hallucinations, the tremors are practically convulsions. He barely recognizes me, and thought he was in a restaurant instead of the hospital. We ended up admitting him to the hospital because we could not care for him at home. The doctor said it's one of two things: Either he has an infection that has caused this sudden onset of dementia, or he just whipped through the last stages of Parkinson's super fast.. The doctor doubted we'd be able to care for him at home anymore if Option 2 ends up being true. Has anyone else experienced sudden dementia? I want Option A to be true so so badly....I don't want to see him suffer for years in a home.

Sorry to hear of your Dad's struggles. I have to wonder if it isn't related to the med change? I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to find out if it is an infection. I've had many severe infections that have landed me in the hospital, they always confirm my infections with a simple blood test. Hope that it turns out that they can adjust his meds further and give him some relief and bring piece of mind to your family.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#3 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

I agree with Cynthia. Your hubby should be checked for any kind of infection and if that is negative then his meds mayneed to be changed again. i realize that you may not want to "bother" the dr but he\she can't help if he does not get your feedback. Tell his Doc what you have told us...keep a journal and write down the odd ball things that are happening when you get a chance and show it to your doc. Also....I hope you live near enough to a large hospital where the neurology clinics have a movement disorder dr on staff. they have 2 additional yeaars of training and are usually quite good at getting the meds just right. Patience is needed as it can take a bit of time.
good luck

#4 peanutty

peanutty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

THanks for all of your help. It turned out he was so dehydrated that he became delerious (and all of the side effects from medicine came on at once). I'm so glad he's back (two doctors told us he'd never come back from this and have to live in a home forever). But now I'm angry...For years, his neurologist has been telling him to drink more fluids. And I've been on his back (and my moms - his primary caregiver) to drink, drink, drink. It angers me so much that while we can't control Parkinsons, we can control things like fluid intake, but they choose not to. I wish I knew how to be less angry right now.

#5 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Peanutty, try not to be angry. I know what you mean though. It is frustrating. At least it worked out in the end. There is an old saying: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Disclaimer: I did not mean that your dad is a horse. It's just an old saying.
<3.<3.<3.

#6 peanutty

peanutty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

You are right - I shouldn't be angry. Today, I'm not...I guess it was just a stage. I have found this forum - even just reading, not posting myself - very therapeutic.

#7 shetawk

shetawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Try to give him moist foods like pineapple, oranges, soups, gelatin, melons, herbal teas, etc. The water in these counts.

No coffee or black tea. Caffeine is a diuretic. Drink equal amount of plain water if he has to have it. Roasted dandelion tea is good.

Homemade emergency drink from: http://www.webmd.com...-home-treatment
Measure all ingredients precisely. Small variations can make the drink less effective or even harmful. Mix the following:

1 quart (950 mL) water
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt
¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute
2 tablespoons (30 g) sugar

Pull up the skin on the back of his hands daily. If it stays up, "tents" he needs fluids.

Good luck. Lynn

I have found this forum - even just reading, not posting myself - very therapeutic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users