10 replies to this topic

#1 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

Here's something to read with your morning Starbucks frappacinno, and insight into what goes down our throats...

http://tinyurl.com/7ny3lmt

Starbucks bugs vegan with Frappuccino dye made from ground up insects
Published On Wed Mar 28 2012
Melissa Allison The Seattle Times

SEATTLE—When Starbucks changed its Frappuccino mix a couple years ago, it made sure the new ingredients were dairy-free. But no one said anything about being bug-free.

Turns out the strawberry sauce used in strawberries-and-cream Frappuccinos contains cochineal extract, which is made from the bodies of ground-up insects indigenous to Latin America.

A vegan barista who works for Starbucks sent a picture of the sauce’s ingredient list to a vegetarian blog called www.ThisDishIsVegetarian.com, which posted it earlier this month. The revelation sparked some criticism from advocacy groups questioning the practice.

“The strawberry base for our Strawberries & Creme Frappuccino does contain cochineal extract, a common natural dye that is used in the food industry, and it helps us move away from artificial ingredients,” said spokesman Jim Olson.

The base also is used in Starbucks’ strawberry smoothies, he said, and the insect-derived extract is in some other foods and drinks the chain sells, including its red velvet whoopie pies.

Starbucks is hardly the only one.

Cochineal extract and a similar ingredient called carmine, also made from the insects, are bright red and can be found in fruit juices, gelatins and other foods, as well as many makeup products.

They were used for red dye in Mexico before the Spaniards arrived, and the Italian liqueur Campari originally contained carmine dye.

Tropicana’s website lists carmine as a colorant in its non-refrigerated ruby red grapefruit juice, and Dole lists cochineal extract as an ingredient in some of its fruit-in-gel products.

Three years ago, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said food and cosmetic products must declare on their labels that they contain cochineal extract or carmine. The rule went into effect in early 2011.

Until then, the insect additives often were listed as “artificial colours” or “colour added.”

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, an activist group that pushed the FDA for the new labeling requirement, said the agency should have banned the colorants altogether or at least required that the labels explain that they come from insects.

“All food companies would be well advised to colour their foods with real food and not either artificial dyes or an ostensibly natural dye like carmine,” said the center’s spokesman, Jeff Cronin.

In the case of Starbucks’ strawberry Frappuccinos, he said, “I bet real strawberries could be used. Why simulate the colour of strawberries when you could probably get a pretty good result with strawberries or beet juice or something that won’t concern your customers?”

Cochineal extract and carmine cause allergic reactions in a small segment of the population, he said, and are off-limits for most Jews who keep kosher and vegans and vegetarians, who do not eat animals.

Joe M. Regenstein, a professor of food science at Cornell University, remembers Ben & Jerry’s taking the cochineal-derived colour out of its Cherry Garcia ice cream to make it kosher and to make its ingredient label easier to understand.

Now Cherry Garcia’s label lists “fruit and vegetable concentrates” for color.

Other red foods that are more specific include Whole Foods’ 365-brand pink lemonade, which includes sweet potato, red radish, cherry and apple extracts and Fuze strawberry guava’s chokeberry and carrot extracts.

Crush orange soda and Minute Maid fruit punch are more old-fashioned. They use red dye No

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

Drink up !.....

Edited by lethe, 29 March 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#2 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

OK... what's so bad with ground up bugs? People put lots of strange things into their bodies... like pigs and chickens and cows and sea creatures and... some even enjoy a good smoke... now that's not natural... smoke in your lungs... I think I''d rather eat a bug.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#3 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

http://watch.thecome...wart#clip647419

Something to watch while eating a burger... the very first segment of the show.

#4 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Lethe, the link will not work. Do you have another?

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#5 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

The link usually works but takes a while to start. Here is a link from a U.S. site that I can't watch from....

http://www.thedailys...8--2012---pt--2

#6 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

The link usually works but takes a while to start. Here is a link from a U.S. site that I can't watch from....

http://www.thedailys...8--2012---pt--2

Thank you lethe. Jon is a funny guy. I just wish he would not drop the 'F' bomb.
Pink slime ought to be dog food.

#7 KiminJapan

KiminJapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationKanazawa, Japan

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

You do eat insects - every day. http://www.fda.gov/f...n/ucm056174.htm

#8 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

You do eat insects - every day. http://www.fda.gov/f...n/ucm056174.htm

That reminded me of a friend who would never eat frozen pizza after she had worked in a factory where they were made. For a long time I regretted asking her why. She said once she learned that they were allowed to have 5 rodent hairs along with 2 or 3 pieces of rodent fecal matter per pizza, she never could bring herself to eat another bite of pizza. It's a good thing she never saw the list you posted or she might of starved to death. After seeing that list I know I won't ever look at a simple pb&j sandwich the same way again!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#9 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Depending upon the culture one grows up in, I would say determines, more or less, what sounds good to eat.

This link tells of some tasty treats!

http://edibug.wordpr...edible-insects/

#10 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

My dad had an apple press and several apple trees. So he'd make cider when the apples got ripe. He wouldn't check for things like worms but instead said it would add flavor. If I'd only known then what I know now.

mj

<3.<3.<3.

Age 64 now.  Diagnosed 2006.

Meds-Carbidopa/levodopa 25-100mg cr tabs four times daily
Benztropine 2mg tabs twice daily
B12 tab for memory loss, one daily

#11 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

I ate a bug yesterday... a gnat !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users