#1 LaurenNY

LaurenNY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationWestern, NY

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

Good morning, all.

I am a normally healthy 44 year old female and was told last week that I may have PD by my neurologist.

My symptoms started about a year ago. When I was walking on the treadmill on a high incline, I noticed that after about 15 or 20 minutes my left foot (and this is my description) started to turn out, where walking became difficult, not impossible. This only seemed to happen when on the treadmill and would happen for both walking and running. This continued on for the summer and soon began to happen when just walking or running outside. Finally it got so bad in October I called my PCP.

At my appointment with my PCP, he said that my foot was dropping and wanted me to see a neurologist. He also sent me for an x-ray to rule out a stress fracture. The x-ray came back negative.

I got in with the neurologist right away and he put through a full exam. He sent me for both blood work and an MRI of the thoracic spine. Blood work came back negative and the MRI inclusive. At this point I was sent for an MRI of the head and this one came back negative. He then sent me for an MRI of the cervical spine. All 3 MRIs were done with and without contrast.

After the 3rd MRI, I went back to see him. He showed me that one of the discs in my neck was herniated to the left side. He did not think this was the cause of the foot drop, but to be sure I was sent for an SSEP test and to PT. The results of the SSEP showed all nerves were working well. At this time (prob late November), I noticed some weakness in my left arm and brought that to the neurologist's attention. Since the PT seemed to be helping with the foot drop, we decided to do nothing more and scheduled a follow up for July.

Fast forward to February, I started working out again (in Jan) and was discharged from PT, I started to notice my foot dropping more frequently. At this point, I called the neurologist and got an appointment. He put me through the same exam as my first appointment. He sent me for another MRI of the cervical spine (just without contrast) to see if the herniated disc had gotten worse.

He was surprised by the results of the MRI as the herniated disc was much better, yet my symptoms were worse. He said he went over my file again and the one thing that stood out to him was the stiffness on my left extremities. That is when he said he believed that I may have PD. He is sending me to a group of neurologists that specialize in Movement Disorders. I have not been able to make the appointment yet (waiting for them to get my records) and am very anxious about this.

Does this sound like PD?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Lauren

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

You are doing all the right things.

MRI's and fancy tests are almost always negative in a PD workup.

This sounds like a symptom called dystonia and if accompanied by things such as tremor, stiffness or slowness, this could be early PD.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users