• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 summergrace22

summergrace22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Is anyone taking Azilect? What dossage? Any side effects? Any noticeable changes? Does the warning label restrict you from certain foods such as cheese?

Michelle D

#2 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

hi
I have been taking it for about three years and have had no side effects. i started taking it as the only drug for pd, but it did not help my symptoms. I have decided to continue since it is supposed to slow down disease. I am also taking mirapex and soon will add simnemet.

good luck.

#3 phaedrus

phaedrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Been taking it for a few months. Mild symptomatic improvement with finger dexterity. But the main reason I take it (other than the neuroprotective possibility) is because its main chemical "mechanism" is to reduce dopamine metabolism (i.e. destruction) - i.e. I think its increasing the time each levodopa dose lasts. I think this is an under appreciated effect of Azilect - it can smooth out the on/off "cliff" and possibly allow a lower overall dose of levodopa.

#4 Beachdog

Beachdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • LocationCape Cod Massachusetts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I have been taking it for two years but my neurodoc suggested dropping it since the neuro-protective qualities have not ben verified. I had no symptomatic release from Azile$t alone. I was on 100mg 1x per day. To use up my VERY EXPENSIVE stash, we decided to split the pills to 50ml and see how it goes.

#5 oneguy

oneguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

Is anyone taking Azilect? What dossage? Any side effects? Any noticeable changes? Does the warning label restrict you from certain foods such as cheese?

Michelle D

I take one tablet of AZILECT (1 MG) once per day. The only other drug I take for PD is SINEMET -- and I take quite a bit of that, day and night. I have not noticed any changes whatsoever since I began taking AZILECT (A). I get no recognizable side effects from (A). If it is helping me in some way, darned if I know how. I'm planning on mentioning this to my doctor next time I'm in. Frankly, I favor coming off of the drug since it doesn't appear to be helping me in any way.

I understand the comments about (A) possibly contributing to a longer period of effectiveness for carbidopa/levadopa, but PWP don't really realize that until they have experienced it. The longevity of C/L may just as well be from bumping up exercise for an extended period of time. Who knows?

My best to you,

Oneguy

#6 lewisandclark

lewisandclark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

I take 1 1/2 tablets per day, but just increased my dosage. So far, I've had a little more trouble going to sleep since the increase, but I'm not sure whether that's just mental! Nothing too drastic in terms of side effets when I was on the 1 tablet per day, though.

#7 annfisher43

annfisher43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

i was on azilect for about a year. i was concerned when i first started taking with all the warnings, but after talking to doc it was more for the older maio s . i really didnt seem to notice any difference though. good lluck

#8 janiecleo

janiecleo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

My experience with azilect was not a positive one.I was diagnosed with PD 16 years ago and have been taking sinemet and comtan since. In the last year or two, I have started having dyskinesia.

My neurologist wanted to try the Azilect. He prescribed it and I began taking it January 1 of this year. He gave me samples, and I don't remember the dosage, but I know that I started with one pill and moved up to two after a couple of weeks per his advice. I was vacationing away from home most of that month. By the time I returned home, I had terrible dyskinesia. I also was very anxious I had gotten to the point where driving, especially in traffic, was difficult because I had trouble sustaining the correct pressure with my right foot on the accelerator. My gait was also impaired. I saw my neurologist soon upon returning home, and he took me off the Azilect. Since then, I continue to have dyskinesia (although less than that experienced in January) and am now considering DBS. I'm glad to hear that other people have had a positive response, but I certainly did not. Jane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users