E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Pain Management - What medicines works for lower back pain?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 klinepeterw

klinepeterw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Dear Pharmacist & Everyone -

I have had Parkinson's for the past 7 years... Also, I have had low back pain too... I have tried pretty much everything to relief the pain on my back(i.e., injections, physical therapy, botox, patches, etc...except for taking pain killers as I am very sensitive to them.. Would like to know if there is any medications for pain that may be able to solve these pain problem mainly pins-and needles that run up and down my legs... Very interested in everyone experiences and recommendations... I have had this problem for about three years... I have seen many doctors over the course of this time... Very interested in hearing from you all... Sincerely, Bill...

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Bill,
When the feeling of " pins and needles" or "sharp pains" running down the legs, it is usually a disc issue in the back. Usually a buldging disc will cause nerves to be pinched, which cause this feeling. A couple of different things can possibly help.
A muscle relaxer specific for PD and MS patients called Baclofen may help. A slight bit of dystonia (muscle spasms) may have set in to the lower back area. This may have caused the muscles to push against the vertebre or nerves in the lower back, causing the issue.
There are 2 other products that can be used for nerve pain itself. One is gabapentum, which has a primary use of controlling seizures, but has been approved for neuropathic pain, this may be the first one a Dr may try because it does come in generic and most insurances will require you try gabapentum before the Lyrica, which was my second choice. Lyrica is specifically used for neuropathic pain. The reason it is usually a second choice because of the price and insurance issues I described above.
I think that first, if you have not already done so, have an MRI of the lower back. This will tell if there is a disc issue. If the MRI is too expensive, talk to your Dr about Gabapentum or Lyrica. The Dr may have samples of Lyrica in the office to offer you.
With both Gabapentum and Lyrica, the dose needs to be titrated up until you find the exact dose. So, if the Dr decides on one of theses 2 meds, do not get frustrated. It is a "start low and go slow" medication therapy. In the short term, it can get frustrating. In the long run, it is well worth it.
Also remember, that PD changes the posture of a person's body as the years go on. Try to do some sort of exercise every day. I usually recommend walking or swimming. Both help the major muscle groups keep, or gain, their tone.
Please keep me updated.

Dear Pharmacist & Everyone -

I have had Parkinson's for the past 7 years... Also, I have had low back pain too... I have tried pretty much everything to relief the pain on my back(i.e., injections, physical therapy, botox, patches, etc...except for taking pain killers as I am very sensitive to them.. Would like to know if there is any medications for pain that may be able to solve these pain problem mainly pins-and needles that run up and down my legs... Very interested in everyone experiences and recommendations... I have had this problem for about three years... I have seen many doctors over the course of this time... Very interested in hearing from you all... Sincerely, Bill...

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users