#1 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

With the early spring, the asparagus has given us three family servings already!

I pruned the red and the black raspberries so they can produce a grand harvest.

Its time to think about what I'm going to plant in the veggie garden this year. Any suggestions?

Edited by Luthersfaith, 01 April 2012 - 02:25 PM.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#2 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hey Luther,

I checked for asparagas the other day in my patch but here in the North, i likely am a month away, 2 months before much garden can be planted, Last year I planted 4 stalks of celery, It had so much more flavour than storebought. I just kept cutting stalks off to use, the plant was still growing at freezeup. I have to get the straw off of my strawberries when it finishes the nightime frosts. Looking forward to all of this stuff, thanks

jb
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#3 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

Asparagus is one thing I've yet to try in my garden. I probably should though since it is so expensive to buy and so many of my family members love it. This year I've only started flowers and other ornamental plants. I've got seedlings coming up for lupine, columbine, johnny jump ups, carnations, sunflowers, daisies, morning glories, delphiniums, blanket flowers and marigolds. My husband bought me two of the most beautiful fuschia plants tonight. I'm thinking about trying to get him to till up a large plot for a big corn patch this year. We haven't grown corn for quite a few years and I recently found my kids talking about how much they miss mom and dad's home grown corn on their facebook pages. I'd really like to get more berries planted too. Right now all we have are blackberries.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#4 andante57

andante57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

Every year I delight digging in the dirt, the smell of dirt in my fingers, exercising my imagination, and leaving a trail of dirt from my shoes ... yes, outside.

Then, after much anticipation, savour the taste, the texture, the aroma of . . . juicy strawberries, onions, fresh peas, crunchy carrots, beans, radishes, tomatoes, black currants, gooseberries, blackberries, red currants, raspberries, buttered new potatoes – and oh my, still the possibility of a fruit tree !!!

Will it be harvest apple or bartlett pear, or perhaps another sweet black cherry ?

. . . I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace

#5 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

My sense of smell is about gone, but I remember and look forward to getting on my knees in the warm dirt. Your garden is well described Dad, I almost taste it.
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#6 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Tomatoes are growing like crazy. Cucumbers are ready to vine. Brussels sprouts and broccoli are looking good. Watermelon is a little slow, needs more heat. Corn is just starting. Celery (new for me this year) looks good too. Asparagus has been plentifully this year and we will keep eating it till June 15 and then we will let it bush out. Oh, the peppers… green, orange and red are looking good. The red has buds already!
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users