E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Comparison of effectiveness of Requip Modutab prolonged release 8mg pills and normal branded Requip pills.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sammdebo

sammdebo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMalta

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Dear Doctor,

I have been suffering from PD for the past 8 years.

ABout 2 months ago I was taking the following medications: Branded Requip pills - 5mg in the morning; 5 mg at about 14.00 and another 5 mg at bedtime. - a total of 15 mg daily.
Concurrently I was taking a Stalevo pill in the morning; another mid-morning; another at 14.00; another at 17.00 and finally another at bed-time.
To be honest I was getting periods of stiffness in the afternoons.
From 2 months ago, my neurologist suggssted I try taking 2 pills of the Requip modutab, prolonged release - i.e. 16 mg a day.
It seems to have worked wonders - I am feeling and looking much better.

Can you kindly let me know, whether research shows that the prolonged release pills are actually more effective or it is simply my 'dreams' which are in effect making me feel better?

Thanks for your kind replies,

Charles

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Charles,

One possibility on your original regimen was that you simply were not taking the doses of requip and stalevo close enough (pay attention to medication intervals). The longer acting requip may have provided the relief from "off periods."

Remember to always discuss dose, type of medication and frequency with your doc.

For those of you on agonists like requip and mirapex remember to keep in mind there can be sleepiness, and complusive/impulsive behaviors in large numbers of patients on these meds.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users