5 replies to this topic

#1 rose of his heart

rose of his heart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCT & NY

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

I was running. And then I wasn't. I was flying, like in a dream. I put my hands out in front and slammed into the sidewalk.

Xrays showed nothing amiss. Later a bone scan and a CT scan showed fractured hamate hook bones, their little hook shapes free-floating near my ulnar artery, tendons and nerves. They must come out.

To avoid having general anesthesia twice I will have both hands operated on this Tuesday. I am already taking hydrocodone 7.5/750 mg 4x/day and am wondering whether that will be enough. I could use some tea and sympathy, and advice on the meds.

Don't bother telling me the benefits of exercise for a while.

#2 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Don't bother telling me the benefits of exercise for a while.

Sorry man! That hurts! I'm never running again in my life... walking is dangerous enough.

Hope all goes well with you.

Take it easy.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#3 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

I was climbing stairs when my right leg gave out. I had it on the next step but my leg turned to rubber for a second and I fell forward. Luckily for me I didn't fall backwards. It was quite a high staircase. It happened again the next day with my hand. It was on the faucet and I was getting ready to turn it off and my hand just fell off for a second. Now I wonder when it will do that again.

Sidewalks would be a lousy place to land. Good luck on surgery. You might ask the surgeon to talk to your neurologist about your meds.

mj
<3.<3.<3.

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Rose of his heart,

I fell while walking on a sidewalk in late December and fractured my left humerus just beneath my shoulder. I am still in physical therapy and the pain has not resolved. Hydrocodone 7.5 (or any mg) can make you constipated (or perhaps even more constipated). It is important to drink lots of water and take stool softeners if you don't already. Praying for best outcomes on your surgery. Posted Image

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Rose,

Welcome back! I remember reading your posts along time ago (it seems) on the old forum. I think I went by EMD back then. Sorry to hear about your injuries.
My DH had hip replacement surgery last July. From his experience and my own , having had knee surgery a couple of years ago, I recommend taking the least amount of drugs necessary to do the job and getting your self off them as soon as you can. Many of the more powerful pain killers are addictive even at small doses and are uncomfortable going off. Often it is recommended to be off of them within or by three weeks after surgery to avoid addiction and if you still need something, to take tylenol or aleve if your stomach can handle it. be careful not to overdose on tylenol due to liver toxicity issues. Depending on the size of the hospital you go to there may be a pharmacist who pays you a visit after your surgery to discuss your options. If pain is a your main concern and it is not being managed by the medication they put you on, let them know. your doc or pharmacist will help you (should)help to find something that will work. Just let them know your priorities. Icing will really help also, but you must be consistent and I found the ice packs provided at the hospital to be nearly useless. get some blue jell ice packs at the drug store . freeze them up ahead of time and have your hubby bring you some to use at the hospital until you are released. Just be sure to use a layer of cloth between the ice pack and your skin so you don't damage your skin(frostbite). Keep them on for 10 min-15-min. then remove them. This can be done 4-5 times a day. If you buy several packs , you will always have a frozen one when you need it, while used ones re-freeze. let us know how it goes

Good luck Rose

eileen

#6 Mihai

Mihai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Hi Rose,

It's Mihai from the old YOPA site! I saw your post and just wanted to say hi! Sorry to hear about your falls. I've had a few close calls myself. The disease is progressing, but I'm still fighting!

Take care,
Mihai
Diagnosed in 2001 at 33 years of age

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users