• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wannagrey

wannagrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

My father is 83 and has been diagnosed with PD for about 3 years now. He continually has difficulty with what he calls "light-headedness." The room doesn't spin, he just feels light-headed and dizzy. It was so bad three days ago that we ended up in the ER and admitted. Just all of a sudden the dizziness got so bad he was so scared b/c he thought he was going to fall. He is ALWAYS light-headed but this came on so quickly and scared him so bad that we feared something bad was happening. They did blood work, CT's, and another MRI but they cannot find any cause. So after three days of in the hospital, we have him home in worse shape than he was when we went on Tuesday. He is now totally confused and still severely light-headed. (This is a man who walked two miles on Tuesday morning.) To do the MRI, they told me that they had to give him four times the normal dose of meds to stop the tremors just so they could do the test. They also did all sorts of blood-pressure checks that really didn't fluctuate. After all of that, they said to wear compression stockings and sent us home.
I am sorry if I am rambling but I have not slept in three days b/c I had to stay with him the entire hospital stay.
I hate this disease and I hate that after all he has been through, once again no one has done anything to help.
Is this "light-headedness" something he just has to live with? He has had no medicine changes in a good while. He takes his PD meds and thyroid meds and that's it. They had no suggestions for us on what to do to help this problem.
If anyone has any experience with this or advice, it would be greatly appreciated! I do not know who else to turn to.
Thank you for listening if nothing else.
A very concerned daughter.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

One of the most common reasons for this symptom complex in PD is autonomic symptoms and what is called orthostasis.

The PD itself can result in lower blood pressure and these symptoms can also result from the blood pressure lowering after sinemet dose and/or dopamine agonist.

We generally get rid of agonists and try only sinemet plus or minus midodrine or florinef.

We also check the blood pressure sitting, lying and standing before a sinemet dose, and also 1-1/5 hours after the dose.

This is one explanation that you and your doc can discuss.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 wannagrey

wannagrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thank you so much for your quick response. You have given us the ONLY glimmer of hope we have had.
When the blood pressures were taken at the hospital it was taken at a random time.

One of the most common reasons for this symptom complex in PD is autonomic symptoms and what is called orthostasis.

The PD itself can result in lower blood pressure and these symptoms can also result from the blood pressure lowering after sinemet dose and/or dopamine agonist.

We generally get rid of agonists and try only sinemet plus or minus midodrine or florinef.

We also check the blood pressure sitting, lying and standing before a sinemet dose, and also 1-1/5 hours after the dose.

This is one explanation that you and your doc can discuss.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

Keep us posted!
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users