• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Herb P

Herb P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Does the Parkinson's resting tremor between thumb and forefinger involuntarily bring the thumb against the forefinger? I never quite understood this as it doesn't seem like people generally ever have their hands in a position where their thumbs rest against their index fingers.

Thanks!

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

It is possible for the fingers to during a rhythmic tremor, but in many cases they do not. It is always best to get the tremor diagnosed by a neurologist as you should be sure it is a PD tremor.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 Herb P

Herb P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hi Dr,

I went to a greatly respected MDS who told me I definitely don't have Parkinson's. Unfortunately, whenever I want to show the slight tremor of my thumb to doctors it's never present which sometimes makes me think I've gone insane.

Anyways, while I realize the Parkinsonian rest tremor can come in many forms, I was wondering specifically about the "pill-roll" tremor between the index finger and thumb. Does that specific rest tremor involve the thumb involuntarily moving towards the index finger?

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

It definitely can and it can be intermittent.

One way to be sure whether you have PD is to have your doc order a DAT scan. A DAT is not for everyone, but in this case could be helpful especially if the tremor is not present in the office for your doc to see.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life

#5 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

In my case, I am constantly trying to straighten out my hands as they want to clench together with the thumb and index finger touching. Less often I will realize that they are slowing moving in the pill roll motion. In bed I have to sleep on my hands to keep them flat. Does the clenching cause the pain that I have in my hand below the thumb? I always thought this was arthritis but now I wonder.

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#6 Herb P

Herb P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I was just curious because my very intermittent tremor is never fully involuntary or at rest - it is in fact the opposite of what I described, which is why I'm trying to clarify. My right thumb only tremors when i stretch the thumb to the left to put it at the tip of my index finger. If my hand is completely relaxed sitting on a table or what not or on my lap, my thumb would never tremor. The MDS (Dr. Enrico Fazzini) stated that this is not characteristic of a Parkinsonian tremor at all. Does that seem like an accurate assessment?

And even though the tremor wasn't present in the office, I did demonstrate it for him. He also did lots of other tests for dexterity and rigidity I assume and told me I have no signs of Parkinson's. I'm only 18 years old with no history of Parkinson's in either side of my family - would a DAT really be necessary? Thanks.

#7 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Its hard to say, but I can understand why he thought it was not PD. A DAT would help to set the question to rest, but another approach is just to wait and see how and if it progresses.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#8 Herb P

Herb P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Would DATscan be covered by insurance? Is this scan available in most cities?

#9 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

It is becoming more available in the US but still is not available in many cities. It is paid for by most insurance carriers only to tell the difference between PD and essential tremor.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tremor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users