#1 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

This week I started the Big physical therapy program. Its 4 weeks, 4 days a week long. I believe it is helping me with my movement.

Has anyone else tried it?

Here is a clip of a guy who took the program in Sweden:

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#2 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

AWESOME ! !

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#3 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Both my sister and my husband have completed BIG therapy with good results.My husaband has also done the LVST training and is scheduled for some "refresher" sessions this year. Even better, they have participated in a weeklong intensive PWR! Retreat (Parkinson's Wellness Recovery) featuring "Exercise for Brain Change" conducted by Dr. Becky Farley who developed BIG. My sister went to the retreat in both 2011 and 2012 and my husband and I were able to join her and my brother-in-law in Wickenburg, AZ for the retreat this year. It was an amazing week! My husband had just left work on full time disability about two weeks before the start of the retreat so it was a great "kick-off" event for us and has really helped him have a solid exercise program that he can devote time too now that he's not working. Here's some links for info and some pictures from last year's retreat:

http://www.pwr4life.org/pwr-retreat/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpYOtu-BQIU&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6jO1HtxWuU

Dr. Farley also has a PWR! Gym in Tucson, Arizona where you can go for assessment and short (a few days) of intensive work on physical activity especially for people with Parkinson's Disease. Tucson is a great place to visit (although it is hot there now, you may want to wait until fall or winter!).

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#4 Mihai

Mihai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for sharing that information. The videos are great! I was in a clinical study for exercise (exploring the effect of cycling on movement) a couple years ago in Cleveland and really did benefit from it. I know I need to exercise more than I currently do. Thanks for a timely reminder!

Take care of yourselves, friends...

Mihai
Diagnosed in 2001 at 33 years of age

#5 joshzach4

joshzach4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBloomington Il

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

I did the big therapt and its great. It helped me so much. I unfortunately hurt my shoulder at work and couldnt finish the last week. When my shoulder is better i will restart the program. i would reccomend it.

#6 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Injuries can really set you back. I hope your shoulder is better before you know it and you'll be back to moving "BIG"!

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#7 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Big is a great program. They also have Loud which is for voice projection (all my freinds told me not to worry about taking that).
Dancer

#8 rd27

rd27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'm interested if anyone has more information on the PWR!MOVES stuff relative to LSVT BIG. I asked the question here - http://forum.parkins...ndor-lsvt-big/.

Thanks!
dave

#9 teacher0707

teacher0707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I completed the LSVT program and a modified version of the BIG program. I had great success with it. Being 22 and going into student teaching it helped me so much there is no way I would have made it through student teaching without it. I went into it barely able to get through a sentence without my jaw locking up. I would suggest doing it. The big thing Is to make sure your insurance covers it before hand. My insurance denied it because it is a more intense program than traditional speech therapy, it did cover the BIG program as well as occupational therapy. We wound up appealing our insurances decision. We went to their headquarters and my dad and I both spoke as well as my speech therapist. They told us it could take up to a week to get their decision in the mail within 7 hours that they will pay for it.

#10 markjlyon

markjlyon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, California

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm also doing my "BIGs" every day. I love it, but definitely have days where I feel like the exercises are challenging. But it always makes me feel better.

#11 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

I am always amazed at what the BIG/PWR! Moves exercises do for my husband. Really makes a difference for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users