#1 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hey all, I'm new to this forum, as I finally got a Young Onset Parkinson's diagnosis recently. My Dr. told me that since I'm 34, Levodopa can be toxic after 7 years, so he wanted to put me on a milder med (Mirapex). I've only been on it for three days, and perhaps I'm being too impatient, but my question is how long does it take til you see an obvious result? I take 4 pills of .25 Mirapex 4 times a day, and increase to 2 pills four times a day next week, then 3 pills four times a day the third week, then finally 4 pills four times a day. Am I being too eager? Thanks :neutral:

#2 NicoleZ

NicoleZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hi! I am 39 yo, and I saw 3 general neurologists first and they couldn't come up with the diagnosis. I then referred myself (I am an ObGyn physician, so my own research had made me suspicious of PD), to a MDS who diagnosed me at my first visit and started treatment that day with Mirapex ER at the lowest dose. I noted minimal difference the first week, and then he bumped up the dose, and I did note a pretty big improvement right away....then over the next 2 months he slowly increased it to the maximum dose of 4.5mg each evening. I did very well, no side effects, and with good symptom control until about 6 weeks ago. I started having "breakthrough symptoms", so my MDS did recently add a dose of Sinemet XR in the late afternoon, and this has helped greatly. Although I'm not "normal" compared to before I had PD, I am functioning well - the best I have in the 3 years since the sx first started.
My MDS, as well as Dr. Okun on this site, as well as the new studies all state that Sinemet is not toxic over time, nor does it make PD sx worse over time. It can have side effects like dyskinesia, but these can be treated. Don't be afraid to consider Sinemet if the Mirapex isn't enough. Abd, you might want to check into the longer acting version of Mirapex - it's much easier to just dose once per day, has less side-effects, and doesn't have the on/off effects nearly as much. Their website has a voucher that helps with the cost.
Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum :)

#3 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

I started on .125 mirapex 3 times per day for the first week and my hands began to "work" again within 3 hours of my first dose. A year and a half later, I'm up to 1mg 3 times per day. I see my MDS in August and am expecting a change in my medicines.

#4 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hi! I am 39 yo, and I saw 3 general neurologists first and they couldn't come up with the diagnosis. I then referred myself (I am an ObGyn physician, so my own research had made me suspicious of PD), to a MDS who diagnosed me at my first visit and started treatment that day with Mirapex ER at the lowest dose. I noted minimal difference the first week, and then he bumped up the dose, and I did note a pretty big improvement right away....then over the next 2 months he slowly increased it to the maximum dose of 4.5mg each evening. I did very well, no side effects, and with good symptom control until about 6 weeks ago. I started having "breakthrough symptoms", so my MDS did recently add a dose of Sinemet XR in the late afternoon, and this has helped greatly. Although I'm not "normal" compared to before I had PD, I am functioning well - the best I have in the 3 years since the sx first started.
My MDS, as well as Dr. Okun on this site, as well as the new studies all state that Sinemet is not toxic over time, nor does it make PD sx worse over time. It can have side effects like dyskinesia, but these can be treated. Don't be afraid to consider Sinemet if the Mirapex isn't enough. Abd, you might want to check into the longer acting version of Mirapex - it's much easier to just dose once per day, has less side-effects, and doesn't have the on/off effects nearly as much. Their website has a voucher that helps with the cost.

Thanks for the info! I feel like no one gets it at times. I'm having certain side effects that are making it hard to see a difference. For example, I'm sluggish/lethargic, I have something going on digestively, and I'm constipated :( I have three boys (I saw your pic, and see you do too)? I feel like I can't do what I used to do with them. We all used to be so active. I guess I was expecting a miracle with the Mirapex....or I'm being too eager. Think my body will get used to it and the side effects will go away?

#5 NicoleZ

NicoleZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi! I answered your message before I saw this, so check there too for a lot more of my thoughts.....I do have 5 year old twins and work full time, and I have had to make changes, a lot of them, due to PD. Some things I can't do with my boys, but there are lots of things I can still do and some new things we are trying. It's day to day. I do think it may take more time and med adjustments for you - don't give up. I just added Sinemet to my regimen, and it has helped a lot. Hang in there!

#6 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

WHOA! Back the treatment trolley up there doc... Nobody ever told me there were treatments for my greatest night sweat inducing fear-- dyskinesia--please educate me before I pop!

Dx 1994, age 45.  DBS surgery, 2009:  Bi-lateral; wires to one battery - on my left side.  300mg Sinemet CR daily.

#7 NicoleZ

NicoleZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hi WSMC.....My MDS started me on Sinemet XL about 6 weeks ago....it has helped a lot and no side effects so far. When I questioned him about dyskinesia, he said the key is to go with the lowest dose that helps symptoms and go with the long-acting Sinemet. The short acting has a much higher rate of dyskinesia than the XL form apparently. He said if dyskinesia begins and you decrease or stop the Sinemet right away,mthe dyskinesia will typically go away. You then may need other treatment options like DBS, and there are some new meds about to be FDA approved. in addition, it he medication amantadine has had good success treating dyskinesia and allowing pts to continue Sinemet. I know there are several threads in Dr Okuns section that address Sinemet and dyskinesia, so definitely do a search there. Dont get me wrong....dyskinesia is something to consider. But, if Sinemet can greatly improve your quality of life, I think the current expert thinking is that it shouldnt be delayed for fear of dyskinesia. Hope that helps a little :)

#8 PD2210

PD2210

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

My recommendation that prior to ingesting Mirapex or an taking any dompamine agonist is to do a web search on the side effects of taking Mirapex. The side effects can be devastating.

#9 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

The thing is, I have long been under the impression that dyskinesia was totally untreatable and, once it started, was permanent. I have been on Sinemet for about five years so far and, up until three years ago, was having to increase my dosage every three months or so. Three years ago I had DBS surgery, so my dosage increases came to a grinding halt--I have been on slow release Sinemet 25/100 six timess a day for the past three years. Before that, I tried the Agonists, Requip and Mirapex, but had an awful time with them. Nausea, hypotension, sleep attacks, and loss of striated muscle control which eventually led to loss of bladder control and other things that I'd rather not talk about! All those side effects went away when I came off the Agonists and went on Sinemet. Still, it's encouraging to think that if dyskinesia strikes that it might be--at least to a certain extent--treatable. :razz:

Dx 1994, age 45.  DBS surgery, 2009:  Bi-lateral; wires to one battery - on my left side.  300mg Sinemet CR daily.

#10 Jay-Jay

Jay-Jay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

I've had great success with Amantadine. Dyskinesia was getting intolerable at times...Amantadine had an immediate effect. (Didn't take it completely away, but lessened it considerably.) :)

Janet

#11 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

Way to go Janet! You always give good information without telling me "how it is!" Because you understand that how it is for one person, may not be how it is for another!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mirapex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users