• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Let's do a poll!

1) How old are you?
2) What is your job?
3) How long have you/did you work with PD?
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why?
5) If you are still working, what are your concerns
about doing your job in the future?

Me:
1) 39 yo
2) ObGyn Physician
3) diagnosed 9 months ago, still working :)
4) still working
5) worried about fatigue and problems with
manipulating my hand being issues in the
future

Thanks for your answers! And if you see someone's answers about future concerns, etc. and have any ideas to help ....throw those out there too!

:) Nikki

#2 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

1. 56
2. Not working
3. diagnosed 9 mo. ago
4. neck and back pain, fatigue, jaw tremor
5. not working but concerned about ability to get disability income because of recent diagnosis

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#3 xaxa

xaxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

1) 42
2) pediatrician
3) 5 years--no meds except mirapex for 1 yr.
4) total disability. Now on meds much better but dexterity issues with dominant hand prohibit practicing medicine. Also can't focus/ADHD?
5) n/a but thankfully I had an individual own occ disability insurance policy

#4 Jay-Jay

Jay-Jay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Okay, here's a great example of how my anxiety goes up, and I tend to think the worst, especially at nighttime - when I saw the name of this topic, I thought,

"Oh my, somebody's really upset about the Work/PD post..."

I think I'll just go to sleep, and try again tomorrow. Sheesh.

Janet :???:

#5 Natasha

Natasha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

1. 51
2. IT engineer
3. was fired on Aug 2010 (after 17 years at the same company), got the diagnosis on Feb 2011
tried to work as a lecturer at University (I have PhD in Math) - but it was too hard
4. not working now - waiting for a trial with insurance company - loss of work disability
main problems - rigidity of right hand and leg, tiredness , sleep attacks. Taking Azilect and PK- Mertz
5. after getting money from insurance planning to give private lessons in Math for high school and college students

#6 KiminJapan

KiminJapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationKanazawa, Japan

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

Let's do a poll!

1) How old are you?

2) What is your job?
teacher and travel planner

noticeable symptoms to me since 2007, still working now

n/a

about doing your job in the future?
that I won't have the ability to stand/balance/walk to teach, not being able to write on the whiteboard, fatigue

#7 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

1) How old are you?
2) What is your job?
Factory worker, with degrees in psychology and theology (I like to work with my hands)

Symptoms started in winter of 2011. Still working

n/a

5) If you are still working, what are your concerns about doing your job in the future?

Two weeks ago I realized that I was not able to keep pace with my coworkers, so I told the three guys that I work with that I had PD. They rallied around me and said that they would do more to help me so I could keep my job. But after a couple of days it was obvious that it was unfair to them that I could not do my fair share.
So I went to my bosses and told them. They were very kind and concerned. I have been moved to a new job that is not so stressful and it is going well. My boss said that he will try and keep me working as long at he can. I told him that I appreciated that and that I understood the situation. My last words to my bosses that day were, "I have a great wife, great kids and God is good. Thank you for your kindness."

Edited by Luthersfaith, 12 August 2012 - 07:34 AM.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#8 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

1) How old are you? 59
2) What is your job? Can no longer work; I am a Social Worker and Licensed Addictions Counselor,
3) How long have you/did you work with PD? My first symptoms were in 1992. I wasn't diagnosed until 2010, and had to go on disability in March 2011.
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? I couldn't keep up with paperwork (writing/signing were particularly difficult); I couldn't speak loudly enough so the patients in my groups could hear me, I was over-stressed and kept getting dizzy at work.
about doing your job in the future? N/A
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#9 Selina

Selina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

1. 49
2. I take care of cats/dogs/horses on a sanctuary/retirement farm.
3. First symptoms in 2009, diagnosed December 2010, still working 6 days a week, 40-45 hours.
4. N/A
5. Fatigue is becoming an issue; worried about working around horses and farm machinery when movement symptoms kick in; for now animals don't care if I tremour!

#10 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

1. How old are you? 46, 47 next Saturday.

2. What is your job? I am self employed as a consultant.

3. How long have you/did you work with PD? I am newly diagnosed (since first of May) but I've had symptoms since 2009, maybe earlier. I worked a 40+ hour per week corporate job requiring 25% travel until a year ago when it became too much. I quit and relocated and then began consulting rather than working full time.

4. If you stopped work b/c of PD, exactly why? I stopped working full time due to overwhelming fatigue, loss of fine motor control in my hand, and widespread pain. I could not keep up with the fast pace of my job and the travel. Since I hadn't been diagnosed at that time I thought my symptoms were primarily due to stress and possibly fibromyalgia. I decided not to return to a standard job situation when I added rigidity, slowness, and difficulty walking. I began consulting but travelling was difficult before I was diagnosed. Now that I know I have PD, and have started taking medication, I am hopeful that I can continue consulting for the foreseeable future.

5. If you are still working, what are your concerns about doing your job in the future? At this time I am keeping my diagnosis private due to concerns that I may lose (or fail to get future) clients. I'm also concerned about continued fatigue and managing my symptoms effectively while traveling to meet with clients and work on projects.

#11 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationTrapped in a body of Chaos and Confusion

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

1) How old are you? 47

2) What is your job? Was working in the construction field.

3) How long have you/did you work with PD? I can't really say how long it bothered me. The last year or so that I worked I had bad memory issues, pain, stiffness and fatigue. Stress also causes terrible dizziness.

4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? I had been lay'd off.

about doing your job in the future? If I were still working I would be concerned with production or the lack of.

Edited by williamg, 12 August 2012 - 05:55 PM.

I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#12 Mihai

Mihai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

1. 43
2. Pastor and Administrator of an inner-city church and community center
3. 11 years -- I was diagnosed at age 33, although my first symptoms (which I didn't recognize as such at the time), began in high school
4. N/A -- still working full-time
5. Not being able to physically execute what, cognitively, I may still really desire to do -- my "work" is a "calling", not merely a job, so my fear is not being able to fulfill that call due to the physical limitations of PD (we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...until then, on to year 12!)

Peace,
Mihai
Diagnosed in 2001 at 33 years of age

#13 kynlyn

kynlyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

1) How old are you? 42

2) What is your job? Attorney

3) How long have you/did you work with PD? Diagnosed 5 years ago (2007)

4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? On SS Disability now. Stopped working mostly b/c of fatigue and cognitive issues, but also was having difficulty with medications and side effects and getting some control over depression and anxiety.

about doing your job in the future? N/A

#14 AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

1) How old are you? 44

2) What is your job? Carpenter/CDL-A hazmat tanker driver

3) How long have you/did you work with PD? Diagnosed 11 months ago but had symptoms dated back 8 years.

4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? I stopped Carpentry due to fatigue and not able to keep up with the crew.
I no longer drive Hazmat tankers because of the fatigue/sleep attacks,driving fatigued is the same as drink driving and add into the mix a tanker full of chemicals........the outcome isnt good and it's only a matter of time before inevitable happens.
You can drive and pass a D.O.T medical with Parkinson's.

I work part time driving for a car dealership picking up cars around the country, being a new citizen to the USA (from UK) i can't claim anything at all.
The future looks .......not so bright.

#15 DavidTX

DavidTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

Diagnosed 18 months ago- on 2 25/100 Sinemet 3x/day
Registered Nurse
I worked in the ER and ICU for 13 years but fatigue drove me out of patient care. I am currently a nurse manager at an insurance company and am enjoying it very much.
Everyone knows about my PD at work. My fear is that the fatigue will limit how much stress I can handle. Luckily my job allows me to work from home so I hope to work for many years.

#16 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

1) 40 year old Male
2) Registered Nurse in Cardiovascular Surgery ICU/Step-down unit
3) Still currently working 7 pm to 7 am, 3-4 days per week.
4) N/A
5) The main issue with continuing to work is pain and fatigue. I already have to alternate one work day with one day off in order to give myself a chance to rest and recover between shifts. Working nights is making things worse, but I can't afford to take the pay cut of going to days just yet. I'm also unable to make handwritten notes or report sheets, and my ability to do procedures which require fine motor control is rapidly declining (e.g. starting I.V.'s, cutting and removing sutures, etc.) The scary part is that the healthcare organization that I work for owns and controls virtually every hospital and medical facility for the entire area, so getting fired by them pretty much means that one has to move somewhere else to find another job. And with the massive amount of nursing students graduating in this area every 6 months, they have plenty of replacements waiting to take my place.

Currently age 42.  Symptomatic at age 36.  Diagnosed at age 39.  Sinemet 2-tabs every 4 hrs (800-1000mg levodopa daily); Amantadine 100 mg 3 times/day; Primidone 50 mg 3 times/day; gabapentin 200 mg 3 times/day; Klonopin 1 mg at bedtime; Seroquel 50 mg at bedtime; Effexor 75 mg daily; Vit-D3 5000 IU daily;Vit-B Complex daily; Melatonin 3 mg at bedtime

#17 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

1) How old are you? 54

2) What is your job? Self employed carpenter

3) How long have you/did you work with PD? 6 years about

4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? I Don't work as many hours, partly cause I am slow to get going in the morning. I don't get as many calls now cause people think I don't work anymore because "he's got Parkinson's" and I need more time to keep my own house and property repaired. Weekend isn't enough anymore

5) If you are still working, what are your concerns about doing your job in the future? Safety, can I still charge even a reduced rate, I will likely reach a point where physically I can't do the work safely or at a speed that is reasonable.
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#18 LaurenNY

LaurenNY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationWestern, NY

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

1) How old are you? 44
2) What is your job? Software developer
3) How long have you/did you work with PD? Still working, recently diagnosed
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? N/A
5) If you are still working, what are your concerns about doing your job in the future? Not being able solve problems and fatigue.

#19 bjenczyk

bjenczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLittleton, MA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

1) How old are you? 47
2) What is your job? CPA in public practice
3) How long have you/did you work with PD? Diagnosed in March, 2012. Looking back, I have probably exhibited symptoms for 2+ years but didn't recognize them.
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? Still working.
about doing your job in the future? Being a CPA is high stress, and I notice that it affects how I work. I enjoy working, and I don't want to give it up. I also have 4 children college age or older, and I want to provide them assistance with college costs. I also worry about memory issues and work perceptions as my condition progresses. I have chosen to be open with my diagnosis at work, because I find that reduces my stress when I am symptomatic.

#20 joshzach4

joshzach4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBloomington Il

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

How old are you? I am a 37 year old male
What is your job? I work in the street dept for bloomington IL
If you stopped working b/c, of pd why? still working
If you are still working,
what are your concerns? Just worried that someday i will have definite balance and coordination issues, and idont want to put my self or anyone else in harms way. And managing stress at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users